Tesco mis -pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
This is really starting to annoy me. You now need a members card in every shop. Otherwise you just get ripped off.
Just get the card. They are hoping you will buy other stuff not so reduced and possibly hiked in price compared to other stores.

Having all bar Tesco close to hand I buy what is reduced in each and often that is all .

The Trolley app is a good comparison of prices to see how good or bad a deal it is. Sainsbury's often have a Nectar price of £2.85 on one item when Morrisons at the same time usually have it at £2.50.

On top of the shelf Nectar prices their mobile app gives you a set of personal discounts for 7 days (use to be 8 overlapping on a Friday) provided you use a self scanner.

presta

Guru
If an expensive TV is accidentally tagged at £1 the shop has no obligation to sell it to you for £1.
You can't force a shop to sell you something if they don't want to, regardless of price, but if they do sell it, it might be illegal to tell you one price then charge another.

Mike_P

Guru
You can't force a shop to sell you something if they don't want to, regardless of price, but if they do sell it, it might be illegal to tell you one price then charge another.

I picked up at item in Waitrose at the weekend which was nearly £2 dearer at the till. Complained and they changed it to the shelf price. Checked their web site when I got home and the till was right.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
They may be good, but why should they be only available to someone who has registered for their card?
It is a public shop, all prices should be available to everyone without the need to sign away my privacy.

It's not a public shop, it is a privately owned shop and the public are invited to shop in it. How Sainsbury price the goods they sell is down to them, providing legalities are observed.

Bare miminum details ar needed to join Nectar and tbh the tracking of purchase habits is not a big deal to me and doesn't concern me on the privacy front. We are all different I guess!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
It's not a public shop, it is a privately owned shop and the public are invited to shop in it. How Sainsbury price the goods they sell is down to them, providing legalities are observed.

Bare miminum details ar needed to join Nectar and tbh the tracking of purchase habits is not a big deal to me and doesn't concern me on the privacy front. We are all different I guess!

Signing away my privacy doesn't bother me either. It's just the faff of carrying around cards etc for different stores. Together with loyalty cards, the wallet gets quite thick! I tend to agree with Beebo on this one.

vickster

Legendary Member
Signing away my privacy doesn't bother me either. It's just the faff of carrying around cards etc for different stores. Together with loyalty cards, the wallet gets quite thick! I tend to agree with Beebo on this one.

Mine just live on my phone. Don’t use physical cards now

I‘ve noticed several items come up wrong at the local Asda when doing the odd top-up shop. Staff are obviously aware of the issue as they always correct it quickly, never querying or checking.

I always pay using a card so, as that’ll be getting tracked by someone, I have no issue with loyalty card. I even have my Blue Light card linked to one to give further discounts. As for bulking up my wallet, that’s not an issue as everything is on my iPhone and Apple Watch so that’s probably them tracking me too.

Seevio

Guru
It’s illegal to do that. If it doesn’t match the shelf edge price (not the Clubcard price) then you are entitled to the shelf edge price. No point morning here. Sort it out in store.

AFAIK it is in offence to charge more than the advertised price but a seller is under no obligation to sell an item with an incorrect price sticker etc.
It's very legal. The contract between shop and shopper only happens at the checkout when the till operator or self service till says gives a total price. The price on the shelves/stickers is merely an invitation to treat. Of course, it is not in Tesco's interest to charge a different price as it will reflect poorly on their customer relations but they are committing no offence by doing so. Even if it is deliberate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invitation_to_treat

Brandane

Legendary Member
This is really starting to annoy me. You now need a members card in every shop. Otherwise you just get ripped off.

When they gave away club card points I wasn’t that bothered about missing out. But some of the non member prices are silly. In Sainsbury’s a while ago my preferred tipple was £6 cheaper if you have a nectar card. Which I don’t, so didn’t buy it. Bonkers.

I had the same issue in Tesco a while back. Appleton's Jamaican rum was £6 cheaper per bottle with a Tesco clubcard, and I wanted 2 bottles. So I went to the self service till and asked the person at the neighbouring till to scan his clubcard on my till. I saved £12, he got some extra points.

Mike_P

Guru
Having a wallet full of then does lead to the possibility of using the wrong one. One way to make a self service till seriously lock up is to scan the wrong store card. On the other hand I was slightly bemused that my debit card registered on the card reader when I unknowingly pulled it together with a B&Q card which was between the debit card and the reader.

Top Bottom