Tesco mis -pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Is that true?
If an expensive TV is accidentally tagged at £1 the shop has no obligation to sell it to you for £1.
An honest mistake is just that.
And if prices are constantly changing and are controlled by head office it is impossible for all shops to change the shelf price at the exact time.
But I agree that Tesco used to honour their mistakes, if they were just a failure to swap the labels in time.

They don't have an obligation to sell it to you. But if they do, then they must honour the shelf price (or sticker price on the item).

They should change the shelf price before the till price if it is going up.

It is the Price Marking Order 2004 which specifies that they must display the price for which they will sell the goods, on or close to the goods.

Alex321

Veteran
They may be good, but why should they be only available to someone who has registered for their card?
It is a public shop, all prices should be available to everyone without the need to sign away my privacy.

They are "loyalty" deals. Signing away your privacy is the price of those deals.

Alex321

Veteran
Having a wallet full of then does lead to the possibility of using the wrong one. One way to make a self service till seriously lock up is to scan the wrong store card. On the other hand I was slightly bemused that my debit card registered on the card reader when I unknowingly pulled it together with a B&Q card which was between the debit card and the reader.

That is contactless for you. It only needs to be close to the reader. Slightly surprising the B&Q card didn't interfere with it if that is also contactless, but only slightly.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Did you miss the "etc."?

It doesn't matter whether it is a price sticker or a price on the shelf. They can decline to sell to you ate all, but if they do sell it, they must sell at the price marked on or close to the item.

not sure what your point is, you’re agreeing with what I said quite a while before you.

stephec

Legendary Member
It's around thirty years since I worked in a shop so things might have changed, but the law was based on offer and acceptance, you offer to pay for something, and it's up to the seller to either accept or decline your offer, this gives the retailer protection if they accidentally put a £1.00 sticker on a three piece suite.

Mike_P

Guru
They are "loyalty" deals. Signing away your privacy is the price of those deals.

They will each have some very strange data on me given there are some things I only buy in one if them and not the others. The loyalty deals on their apps are typically just trying to tempt you buy stuff you do not buy at Asda and Lidl in particular. Sainsbury's and Waitrose generally offer lower prices (or bonus points in Sainsbury's case) on things I do buy. Morrisons is woeful.

Alex321

Veteran
not sure what your point is, you’re agreeing with what I said quite a while before you.

The point was really the first two sentences, given what I was responding to.

Yes, the final sentence agreed with what you had already said.

I think only Aldi now doesn't offer any sort of loyalty scheme you just pay the price shown and its equal to everyone. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of Aldi quality and the stuff I buy isn't always well priced there. I actually like trying different foods so like the fact Tesco and Sainsburys do loyalty scheme offers with offer big reductions so I can try new stuff. Ultimately I'm the least loyal shopper there is and try to always have a voucher to use to get further discounts.

I try to check my receipt carefully for errors. Most are fine but Asda in Yeovil recently ignored a reduced sticker on one item which meant I was charged about £2 more which I got back from customer services.

If I was guessing the worst shop for errors at the till in charging I think it would be the coop. It's like sometimes they lose connection with the loyalty scheme computer and a reduction I should of got is ignored even though I've enabled the offer and the card has scanned correctly. This may be an issue more common to convenience stores than large supermarkets.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
If I was guessing the worst shop for errors at the till in charging I think it would be the coop. It's like sometimes they lose connection with the loyalty scheme computer and a reduction I should of got is ignored even though I've enabled the offer and the card has scanned correctly. This may be an issue more common to convenience stores than large supermarkets.
Is that in one particular co-op branch? I've never had a problem with mine. I make a point of using two offers each week, even if it's only to buy something to put in the food bank box. It sometimes briefly confuses the assistant as they tell me the initial amount to pay then the computer takes the discounts off.

Mike_P

Guru
I quite often have had non working mobile app vouchers in the Co-Op. Normally tweeting Xing the details resulted in the voucher price being added to my reward credit. Wonders what happens now they have scrapped that.

Jody

Stubborn git
This is really starting to annoy me. You now need a members card in every shop. Otherwise you just get ripped off.

Totally annoys me to. To the point where I actively avoid Tesco now. I had no issue using my Clubcard but there is no incentive anymore other than gaining the offer.

Out of the big 4, Tesco always seemed to be the most manipulative with the way the offers are put to the customer. Just on the right (lawful) side of mis-leading.

Alex321

Veteran
Totally annoys me to. To the point where I actively avoid Tesco now. I had no issue using my Clubcard but there is no incentive anymore other than gaining the offer.

Out of the big 4, Tesco always seemed to be the most manipulative with the way the offers are put to the customer. Just on the right (lawful) side of mis-leading.

I don't understand this. We don't usually specifically choose items based on clubcard offers, but there is still usually several £ worth of discount on our final till price when the clubcard is used.

Jody

Stubborn git
I don't understand this. We don't usually specifically choose items based on clubcard offers, but there is still usually several £ worth of discount on our final till price when the clubcard is used.

I'd rather see consistent low prices rather than yellow offer tickets everywhere. But that's how they hide the over priced as you mentally tally one off against another.

I just feel Tesco are the most manipulative

Top Bottom