Tesco - soft plastic recycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
  • Bread bags
  • Fruit and vegetable packaging
  • Crisp packets
  • Salad bags
  • Baby and pet food pouches
  • cling film - including food wrapping
Dunno about baby or pet food pouches but our cooncil collects all the rest for recycling, in the same bin as foil and tin cans etc.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is great news. I would estimate 80+% of our household waste is of this type. The rest I recycle on the allotment or in the glass and metal bin.

Gives me a reason to visit Tesco .....not a reason to shop there unless absolutely essential.

My local Aldi has just started collecting this type of waste. About time!

I normally take about 2 months to fill my wheelie bin and it is nearly all this previously unrecyclable stuff. I reckon my bin will only have to be emptied once a year now! :smile:

PS The wheelie bin is about half full at the moment with waste that I will now take to Aldi. I will try to remember to quote this post when I next have to have the wheelie bin emptied. I'll see if I can get through the rest of this year and all of 2023 before it is full again...

Last edited:
@ColinJ genuinely interested in how you have next to no waste?

In my household of 5 we fill two bags full of cardboard, plastics and metal and a box full of glass every two weeks. Our garden waste is recycled too and we compost what we can but with a small garden our current pot is full.

We generate 1 maybe 2 at most black bags worth of general waste after putting soft plastics to one side.

kynikos

Veteran
Plenty in Wales though

You could ask them why (although it is a pilot, and may reflect the location of recycling plants that can handle soft plastic, dunno?)

You're either commited to recycling and the good of the planet or your not. I am. I drive down to Wales once a week, do a top up shop and drop off my recycling at the same time. The Tesco points I get on the petrol top-up are a real bonus.

vickster

Legendary Member
You're either commited to recycling and the good of the planet or your not. I am. I drive down to Wales once a week, do a top up shop and drop off my recycling at the same time. The Tesco points I get on the petrol top-up are a real bonus.

Huh? You’ve quoted a random post I made over a year ago?
How far are you driving to do this? In a petrol/diesel powered car? How is that good for the planet?
Can’t you recycle locally or use less recyclable material in the first place?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ genuinely interested in how you have next to no waste?

In my household of 5 we fill two bags full of cardboard, plastics and metal and a box full of glass every two weeks. Our garden waste is recycled too and we compost what we can but with a small garden our current pot is full.

We generate 1 maybe 2 at most black bags worth of general waste after putting soft plastics to one side.

I mean non-recyclable waste in the wheelie bin! I already recycle glass, cans, paper, cardboard, normal plastic, and food waste in other containers.

Non-recyclable food wrappers were what used to annoy me but I can now do those at Aldi.

There will still be things like old rags that I use to clean the bike. I don't think I can recycle oily cloth?

I have collections of worn-out bicycle parts which I should take to the local recycling centre but they won't let me in! Their rules say that you have to go through the gates in a motor vehicle and I don't drive... :wacko:.

PS I just checked again - I can cycle to the gates of the recycling centre and wave to the nearest operative who will then walk over and take my bag of waste in for me! Or I could try just cycling in and seeing what happens. Maybe they would not make a fuss about it... :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
I mean non-recyclable waste in the wheelie bin! I already recycle glass, cans, paper, cardboard, normal plastic, and food waste in other containers.

Non-recyclable food wrappers were what used to annoy me but I can now do those at Aldi.

There will still be things like old rags that I use to clean the bike. I don't think I can recycle oily cloth?

I have collections of worn-out bicycle parts which I should take to the local recycling centre but they won't let me in! Their rules say that you have to go through the gates in a motor vehicle and I don't drive... :wacko:.

PS I just checked again - I can cycle to the gates of the recycling centre and wave to the nearest operative who will then walk over and take my bag of waste in for me! Or I could try just cycling in and seeing what happens. Maybe they would not make a fuss about it... :whistle:
You may be encountering the old signage. New signs now only prohibit pedestrian access. And a bike is not pedestrian.

classic33

Leg End Member
But why would it be okay to cycle but not walk! (An insurance issue? :whistle:)
You're entering on a road vehicle, not on foot. The fact that you'll be walking about on site, the same as those working there, is neither here nor there now.

Their insurance didn't cover anyone walking about inside the sites at one stage.

Moved on sightly since this.
But I'm still stuck with the license part

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My local Aldi has just started collecting this type of waste. About time!

Same at mine*; a big brand new recycling bin in the entrance. However i did notice a couple of identical big plastic bins in the town centre, so maybe it's part of a local council initiative rather than a specific Aldi one? Either way, somewhere to put the bread bags and such.

*although we have be recycling the soft plastic waste we generate instore for at least seven years :okay:

Top Bottom