Tesco - soft plastic recycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all

Went to Tesco yesterday and a big container has appeared by the front door for recycling soft plastic
including

• Bread bags
  • Fruit and vegetable packaging
  • Crisp packets
  • Salad bags
  • Baby and pet food pouches
  • cling film - including food wrapping
Just thought word should be spread round - this sort of thing should be encouraged

https://www.tescoplc.com/news/2021/...network-of-recycling-points-for-soft-plastic/

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Co-Op, Lidl & Aldi have also been doing this for a while now.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep, I put some stuff in my local Tesco one at the weekend.
I do need to get better at washing out the cat food pouches though xx(

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn't even know you could recycle them. Afraid I have just been putting mine in general waste. Ooops.
It’s recent at least at Tesco, I don’t go to any of the other places.
Most of my non recyclable (to date) waste is cat pouches and fruit/veg wrappers and crisps :unsure:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This is great news. I would estimate 80+% of our household waste is of this type. The rest I recycle on the allotment or in the glass and metal bin.

Gives me a reason to visit Tesco .....not a reason to shop there unless absolutely essential.

weareHKR

I heard of this but have not seen anything locally as yet.
I'm a big believer in recycling & do my utmost & wash everything before binning it, we have a bin for dry items & a bin for food waste, the only things that goes into general waste are the items mentioned in the OP.
This is great news! :okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I heard of this but have not seen anything locally as yet.
I'm a big believer in recycling & do my utmost & wash everything before binning it, we have a bin for dry items & a bin for food waste, the only things that goes into general waste are the items mentioned in the OP.
This is great news! :okay:
Not on topic but when you say NE Coast UK in your avatar do you mean just that or is it NE England?

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Our local Sainsburys has introduced a similar thing, albeit tucked out of the way near the lift. I've been hoarding some stuff for years so I've taken all of that to them to recycle. I was amazed by what we use in a week though, and while I am going to make efforts to reduce what we use, it's a step in the right direction that it's no longer going in the bin.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Something that has oft worried me about the home washing of food packaging for recycling (milk cartons, food cans, foil take-away trays, glass jars, etc) is what is the environmental impact of all the extra water demand and waste water that now needs additional capacity at the sewage works?
In the Skol household some items get washed in the pots water before the sink is emptied, so no extra use there, but inevitably a not insignificant number of items get rinsed out on the go which must be a problem?

Also, if we are to start cleaning soft plastics and cling film, how practical is this? Once you have washed out your food bags, catfood pouches and cling film what do you now do with the dripping wet plastic and how do you store it for the next couple of weeks before you go to the recycling point?

vickster

Legendary Member
Also, if we are to start cleaning soft plastics and cling film, how practical is this? Once you have washed out your food bags, catfood pouches and cling film what do you now do with the dripping wet plastic and how do you store it for the next couple of weeks before you go to the recycling point?
Leave to dry a bit on draining board and then put it in an old bag which can then go in the recycling? :wacko:

presta

Guru
What does 'recycle' mean, ship them to the third world and dump them?
I live in Braintree, it could have been one of my sacks of 'recyclable' waste that Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall found on that rubbish tip in the far east a couple of years ago.

I don't know why Braintree Council are collecting recyclable waste in polythene sacks in the first place, particularly as polythene is on their list of stuff that they say they can't recycle. We have wheelie bins for the non-recyclable stuff like polythene, and poly bags for the recyclables. Brilliant.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom