Tesla recall... failing touchscreens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They'll have to bite the bullet and replace them otherwise trust in the brand will be destroyed.

Drago

Legendary Member
They're in a precarious position. That brand is vastly over valued on the stock market for nothing more than its reputation among consumers - in terms of actual assets and cashflow it's a small minnow in the car manufacturing pond.

So they have little choice but to spend the money, because if their reputation suffers so does their notional share value, and the whole house of cards comes a tumbling down.

As for buying a used Tesla, I wouldn't anyway. People seem to turn into insufferable chumps when they own one.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As for buying a used Tesla, I wouldn't anyway. People seem to turn into insufferable chumps when they own one.
There are always people who like to be seen with the latest technology especially the ‘executive golf club set’. I remember in the eighties I had a Astra GTE with a digital display, the Vauxhall salesman told me he had one customer who only bought the top of the range model as it had that display to impress his friends and clients.

Will this touchscreen problem affect the brakes? The usual touchscreen menu selection seems to work but Ive never had to select this menu option in anger yet.
Start->Safety->Brakes-> Apply Brakes->Emergency Braking.

gzoom

Über Member
True, I know someone who has one, maybe not so smug now.

Our Tesla is the best car we have ever owned, prior to our Tesla my old BMW 335i had no less than 4 faults which all could cause instant power loss. BMW was sued by owners in America and ended up doing a recall/extended warranty but in Europe they continued to deny the problems.

The MCU1 memory chip failure has actually been known about for 12 months, Tesla extended the warranty on the MCU1 units to 8 years already, and offer a MCU2 upgrade as well. The failure is not a sudden event, the performance of the MCU1 units gradually worsens with time and there is actually a software test to check how many rewrite cycles are left on the memory chip.

If you look virtually every manufacturer carries out recalls.

It seems like some people just hate Tesla for no apparent reason?

gzoom

Über Member
Will this touchscreen problem affect the brakes? The usual touchscreen menu selection seems to work but Ive never had to select this menu option in anger yet.
Start->Safety->Brakes-> Apply Brakes->Emergency Braking.

No the car drives and brakes fine without the MCU. The car will also go into Park (apply eMeds brakes) with the MCU off.

keithmac

Guru
Tesla is the only fully electric car manufacturer I would consider buying from.

Look at the Ford/ BMW battery debarcle on their hybrids..

Our Ford screen died at 6 years old, it's just tough luck.

Drago

Legendary Member
Tesla is the only fully electric car manufacturer I would consider buying from.

Look at the Ford/ BMW battery debarcle on their hybrids..

Our Ford screen died at 6 years old, it's just tough luck.
Not to mention the terrible lifespan on the Leaf batteries. The series 2 seems much improved in that regard.

On the other hand, there are Toyota and Honda hybrids put there with batreries still performing well at 25 years.

We went for the T8 rather than a Tesla because of the need to haul a wheelchair about, and a proper load lugger is something consipcuously absent from their catalogue. To be fair, some people prattle on about the Tesla cabin but it looks like a valve radio designed by Ikea compared to the tasteful Swedish futurism if the T8.

Also, Tesla build quality is dire in other ways. A model S inner wing is 5 separate pieces, pegged, bonded and riveted together - 5 oppotinuties to loosen, fail, or electrolytically corrode with their neighbour. Just about every other car maker uses a single pressing, cheap and robust. Thats an example of why they're so needlessly expensive, and starting to show very poor long term reliability as a consequence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom