Tesla self drive car overtaking cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I simply don't see the point of trying to enforce totally unenforcable practices like mandating cars need to pass cyclists in the opposite lane, its just no going to happen.
It's not "totally unenforceable", though: the worst close passes are now being enforced using laws banning careless driving by many police forces, under projects like Operation Close Pass and Operation Snap.

If I tried to report what you guys would judge to be a 'near pass' - less than 1 meter, every day I would be filling in a dozen reports - I have better things to do with my time.
You don't have to report them all, you know? You could start with the worst, if and when you have time. It takes less time than you've probably spent on here ;)

For me the only solution is the removal humans from the driving seat, if you tell an automated car never to pass a cyclist untill the opposite lane is clear it will do it every time.
Maybe. Firstly, we need to get the enforcement expectations so that human drivers are being punished for close passes. Then we need to make the automated cars behave well. If we are letting human drivers get away with skimming cyclists, the automated car makers will insist on being allowed to do the same, even if they implement slightly better.

Where you cycle sounds lovely though :smile:.
It's not perfect - some of the cycleways contain design farts and one council keeps trying to turn some of them into car lanes again - but hopefully I'm less likely to be killed by a passing impatient driver than some places I've lived and cycled.

It only got this way because previous generations of cyclists didn't stand for the sort of shoot road conditions that you describe, though. I'm just one of the latest trying to nudge things forwards.

You don't have to report them all, you know? You could start with the worst, if and when you have time. It takes less time than you've probably spent on here ;)
Damn I was going to say that!!!

@gzoom there are plenty of reports + prosecutions on Twitter. If you can't be bothered, please bet me a beer and I will find you 3 by Monday. OK? :okay:

Meanwhile, no excuses - just do what you can. Or do nothing and stop moaning, that's Ok too :angel:

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Autopilots make sense on jets because once up and in a straight line there is not a great deal to get in the way, assuming ATC are doing their job. I think there are far too many variables on land to allow cars going about on autopilot. Whatsmore the average pilot is generally intelligent and able to take back full control in a split second. The thought of some imbeciles I see on the roads having to quickly step in for a defective autopilot scares me silly.

We need to improve the quality of driving, not dilute it even further.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Its called real life? What do you want me to do about motorists who pass too closely?

As I keep on asking, and no one seems to be able to answer. Short of NOT cycling on the roads, I cannot see any way I can avoid a 'close' pass, and given I have little control over what a motorist is doing I simply don't waste time or effort worrying about 'close' passes.

I see people suggest reporting drivers to the police, unless someone magics up more hours in the day I simply don't have the time or inclination to do that.
It seems to me that you are too willingly accepting the status quo.
You want know what you can do?

Here's what I do:

Active in a local cycling campaign group,
Ride assertively and considerately,
Spread the word.
Report close passes
Above all, not roll over.

classic33

Leg End Member
Its called real life? What do you want me to do about motorists who pass too closely?

As I keep on asking, and no one seems to be able to answer. Short of NOT cycling on the roads, I cannot see any way I can avoid a 'close' pass, and given I have little control over what a motorist is doing I simply don't waste time or effort worrying about 'close' passes.

I see people suggest reporting drivers to the police, unless someone magics up more hours in the day I simply don't have the time or inclination to do that.
In "real life", I've left a dent in the roof of one car that came too close. Driver decided against stopping, but suddenly gave me more room.

You've two options,
  • Accept that they, close passes, are going to happen and just carry on cycling.

Report the closest passes, time, date, location, registration if you get it. And accept that you can't report all that will happen.

Don't report them and your grounds for saying you can do nothing aren't as strong. The way you ride can prevent a number of them starting in the first place. Claim the lane, and don't be afraid to hold it

gzoom

Über Member
It seems to me that you are too willingly accepting the status quo.

Am glad you guys have more faith in changing the status quo on motorist behaviour to cyclists than me, I've given up on that idea a long time ago.

After a car decided to run a red light at a cycle lane crossing and squash the rear wheel of my bike, the driver proceeded to explain their shock of why I didn't see the them coming and expected them to stop at a red light??!! Seriously, the driver was angry at me for getting in the way of him running a red light. Yes I did see the car, but I also saw the light go red and the little green man/bike light so green so I went, but apparently that isn't how it works!! Since than I've long given up any hope of better driving/road manners from drivers.

No I didn't call the police or report the driver, he showed so little understanding of why cars shouldn't run a red light it would have just been a waste of everyone's time.

Actually at the time I remember I just had to get out of the situation as I was about 5 seconds away from doing something am sure I would have regretted, and almost certainly landed me in more trouble with the law than any punishment the driver would have got for running a red light!!

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
In 10 years+ of cycling I've not seen any changes to cyclists on the roads near me. Sadly am firmly in this camp.
Is that as a driver or as a cyclist?

You appear willing to moan about close passes, but unwilling to do anything other than that.
"Don't report them and your grounds for saying you can do nothing aren't as strong."

gzoom

Über Member
Is that as a driver or as a cyclist?

You appear willing to moan about close passes, but unwilling to do anything other than that.
"Don't report them and your grounds for saying you can do nothing aren't as strong."

Passed my driving test at 17 so been driving for 20 years +, got into cycling around when I was 20, did the LEJOG a few years back now.

I have not seen any changes in how close to not close motorist pass me on UK roads since I started cycling, I don't see the point of doing something which will have zero impact on the larger scale. I don't moan about close passing, I have no issues with it - unless someone actually hits me, its the others on here who seem to want cars to pass on the other side of the road etc.

8934189191_d3d1d0aebd_b.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
As an olde Dibble Class 1 driver ive been taught the drils to maintain and practice my skills, but im still not where I once was. The difference is that you and I know this and admit it, and doubtless drive accordingly.

classic33

Leg End Member
Passed my driving test at 17 so been driving for 20 years +, got into cycling around when I was 20, did the LEJOG a few years back now.

I have not seen any changes in how close to not close motorist pass me on UK roads since I started cycling, I don't see the point of doing something which will have zero impact on the larger scale. I don't moan about close passing, I have no issues with it - unless someone actually hits me, its the others on here who seem to want cars to pass on the other side of the road etc.

View attachment 559288
The question was asked as were you answering as a driver or a cyclist. View from within a left-hand drive car, and the way you worded you appeared to be answering as a driver.

That leaves you in the position of not being able to moan/complain as loudly, about close passes.

As for moving into the other lane, drivers should leave as much room passing you as they do any other road user. A reply along that wording has been used more than once by me, when asked how much room I thought I needed. Claim your lane and they'll have to move into the other lane to pass.

I have not seen any changes in how close to not close motorist pass me on UK roads since I started cycling, I don't see the point of doing something which will have zero impact on the larger scale.
There was a seismic shift in the space and care drivers gave us between Feb and April.
That shows what is possible.

Top Bottom