Test 2 video with hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
All redone, i cut up a bean tin lid and folded it in half and wedged it in the boom between the 2 square sections which slide in n out and i tightened extra tight aswell, so video test ride 3 when i can be arsed. Fingeres crossed boom doesn't slide in.

For backing music during the planned 3rd test video can I please make a request ?
The BBC interlude "potters wheel" music is always very soothing and relaxed and makes easy listening .
Rather than the JeT'aime French Love song I think you might have used on test ride one and two :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
For backing music during the planned 3rd test video can I please make a request ?
The BBC interlude "potters wheel" music is always very soothing and relaxed and makes easy listening .
Rather than the JeT'aime French Love song I think you might have used on test ride one and two :thumbsup:

All i am doing is trying to enjoy my new hobby, i do not diss other people or annoy folk and i expect to rceive the same respect. I like to show my videos and as i do not take any music on trips i do not add it, i do as is video. Once my tests are over, i will be able to talk more and as for me breathing etc, i cannot help being a human being, it is what we do, i have not rode a bike since 2004 and i am a house husband thus i do not get much excercise but i am trying to do something about it. At the end of the day, we all started somewhere and NONE of us are perfect.

gaijintendo

Veteran
All i am doing is trying to enjoy my new hobby, i do not diss other people or annoy folk and i expect to rceive the same respect. I like to show my videos and as i do not take any music on trips i do not add it, i do as is video. Once my tests are over, i will be able to talk more and as for me breathing etc, i cannot help being a human being, it is what we do, i have not rode a bike since 2004 and i am a house husband thus i do not get much excercise but i am trying to do something about it. At the end of the day, we all started somewhere and NONE of us are perfect.
I didn't think @Mr Magoo s response was as anything other than a friendly bit of jesting.

I think it is wonderful you have a hobby and are enjoying it. But you are posting that hobby on YouTube, then a forum, so you are actively inviting comments... and that wasnt a particularly barbed one, and I'd hope you don't think this is one either.

What is The Boom? Is it the forward part of the bike?

I would quite like a go on one of those, especially if it was electrically assisted, as I would be grinding to a halt on the hills around here, can you do a walk around picture of the bike, pointing out how it all adjusts and is operated?

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
I didn't think @Mr Magoo s response was as anything other than a friendly bit of jesting.

I think it is wonderful you have a hobby and are enjoying it. But you are posting that hobby on YouTube, then a forum, so you are actively inviting comments... and that wasnt a particularly barbed one, and I'd hope you don't think this is one either.

What is The Boom? Is it the forward part of the bike?

The boom is the forward part of the trike and at the end of the boom is the pedal crank. The boom slides in and out and thus your feet can reach the pedals correctly. A short person may need the boom slid in and a taller person would need the boom slid out so far enough to reach the pedals correctly.

The boom is the forward part of the trike and at the end of the boom is the pedal crank. The boom slides in and out and thus your feet can reach the pedals correctly. A short person may need the boom slid in and a taller person would need the boom slid out so far enough to reach the pedals correctly.
That makes sense.

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
I would quite like a go on one of those, especially if it was electrically assisted, as I would be grinding to a halt on the hills around here, can you do a walk around picture of the bike, pointing out how it all adjusts and is operated?

Have a look on youtube my friend as there are plenty of walkaround trike videos including electric etc. When i was saving for a trike i watched loads of trike videos, mainly the english ones as they show places familiar to me etc. There are a few hills here in Kettering and although it was my 2nd trip i thought i would takle 2 of them which are pretty steep and i got up them although my boom slid in due to possible vibration and made my chain really loose so i could only use the big rear cogs and my legs were then bending too much.

The advantage of a trike over a bike when hill climbing is you have no minimum speed.
So you can gear them down a lot lower than a bike, 2-5 gears lower is normal.
The "standard" gearing is around 15"-100", this lets you climb most hills easily.
My first gear is only 9.6" which means 20% hills start to get hard work but I do climb them at ~2 mph.

You need to get used to pedaling with a light pressure on your feet and if it increases due to a hill then drop a gear or more to get the feel back.
The last time I was on an exercise bike and the resistance increased, I went for lower gears ........ :laugh:
The whole idea is to climb the hill while expending as little effort as possible.
Also until you get fit expect to climb most hills in first gear, I know I did.
Then as you get fitter your cadence increases without upping your effort which ups your speed.
Doing that lets you go faster for longer.

The advantage of a trike over a bike when hill climbing is you have no minimum speed.
So you can gear them down a lot lower than a bike, 2-5 gears lower is normal.
The "standard" gearing is around 15"-100", this lets you climb most hills easily.
My first gear is only 9.6" which means 20% hills start to get hard work but I do climb them at ~2 mph.

You need to get used to pedaling with a light pressure on your feet and if it increases due to a hill then drop a gear or more to get the feel back.
The last time I was on an exercise bike and the resistance increased, I went for lower gears ........ :laugh:
The whole idea is to climb the hill while expending as little effort as possible.
Also until you get fit expect to climb most hills in first gear, I know I did.
Then as you get fitter your cadence increases without upping your effort which ups your speed.
Doing that lets you go faster for longer.

Good info, thanks

And unlike a normal bike you can't get up out of the saddle and dance on the pedals.
Also you cannot lift the back wheel off the ground and turn the pedals to change gear like that.
So look ahead and try to guess which gear you need to be in to go up each hill.
Then start changing down to it as soon as it starts to get hard work and see if you're right.

Also get in the habit of changing down 2-3 gear if there's an outside chance that you may have to stop at a junction.
It's better to pull away slowly because you're in to low a gear vs to high a gear.

One of the main advantages of an IHG is the ability to change down gears when stopped.
The downside is I cannot gear under load so I lose more momentum on uphill gear changes.

Falco Frank

Über Member
Well Done!

Trikes are DAMN hard work up hill, I lightened mine as much as possible but my 'need-for-speed' was too great and I changed back to a 2W recumbent.

Reality is that even to pedal at 'normal' cyclist speeds a Recumbent rider would need to be MUCH, MUCH fitter, but, be MUCH more comfortable and probably for longer. If you enjoy it however, keep going - I plan to! ^_^

Top Bottom