Test 2 video with hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Trikes are only hard work if you expect to go uphill fast.
As long as you have low enough gears then because you've no stall speed going uphill is easy.
My first gear (9.6") at 70 rpm is only 2 mph, not fast but 20% slopes are easy in that gear ....... :laugh:
Then again my top gear at 70 rpm is only 37 mph which makes 6% downhill runs "fun" ......... :ohmy:
So it's more getting the correct gears for what you want to do than just trikes are hard work uphill.

You don't need to be that much fitter to ride a bent vs a DF.
But because you use your leg muscles slightly differently on a bent, it' a trained fitness.
So it may take you ~1,000 miles to build up your bent legs.

Plus on a 2 wheel bent, the faster you go the more advantages a bent gives you due to lower air resistance.
Just wait until you're in a good working chain gang of bents easily doing ~30 mph on the flat.
I've only done that once and had to work very hard on my trike to stay with it ..... ^_^

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Trikes are only hard work if you expect to go uphill fast.
As long as you have low enough gears then because you've no stall speed going uphill is easy.
That's my experience too. You can even stop and get going easily again.

Did my first proper hill on my two wheeled bent last night and it's hard. I'm not used to spinning like that. On my upright I do hills at about 10mph for proper hills like last nights. For steep hills I'm a bit slower. It's rare I'll drop out of my 50 chainrings and usually that's only one in 4 hills. That's 50t to 32t. Best I can get is 30 something to 32t (compact). I find that's too low geared on my upright. I have a deore gears (mtb groupset) so no doubt it's got a wider range especially lower down. Not checked though.

Last night when I dropped to my lowest gear I felt like I was doing 2mph uphill. Getting nowhere. I reckon that's the trike way of doing big hills but for my bike it felt like I was not getting anywhere so I went into my middle chainring and got up the hill before nightfall. I suspect this aspect of trikes would mean they don't suit me. I'd love to find out though. :smile:

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Well done.
It will get easier as you get used to it and as Tigerbiten said choosing the right gear for the hills is important.
I've found it easier to ere on the low side, then it's easier to go into a higher gear if you find yourself spinning like a loon.
Basically take your time and enjoy yourself, you'll find that you get fitter without thinking about it.

P.S. Personally I don't much like the so called "background" music on most vid's and it's your choice.

Top Bottom