Test rides - how do you know?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Beginners on most cycling forums are always told to go and test ride a few bikes. The suggestion is that when you jump on the right bike, you'll know it straight away - but do you really, or are you just eliminating the ones you definitely don't like?

I've test ridden a bunch of bikes; Specialized Globe, Sirrus, Kona Dew, Trek 7.3FX, 7.5FX, 7300, 7500, Marin Larkspur, Cannondale Bad Boy, one or two others, and my old Dawes Shadow which I've been commuting on. Having come down to the Trek 7.3FX / 7300 or Kona Dew, I'm still not sure which I like; while they all feel perfectly competent bikes, all have slight niggles, and no one bike really shouts out. I don't know if I'm being too analytical, or if I should dismiss everything and keep looking.

Does the right bike shout out at you? Do you eliminate a bike that feels OK, just because it doesn't bowl you over? What have your experiences been when test riding?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Ha! Another Dawes Shadow rider. Is it from the '80's? If it is, you must appreciate the massive advances bikes have made since then. I still use my old Sahdow as a hack/pub bike and the odd ride up to twenty miles, but I know what I prefer for any distance.

yello

I guess it's a fact that there are a lot of good bikes around. Any number will suit the individual in truth. That's when you (well, I anyway) start looking at other factors in the decision process. Who you're buying from, for instance. Will they offer decent after sales? Servicing? Do you like them!? Who do you want to give your money to? etc etc etc

I remember when I bought my audax bike, the final decision was made based on who I felt happiest giving my hard earned to.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I used to ride a Dawes Shadow, until it died in 2005. When I came to buy a new bike I test rode a wide range of bikes and liked a lot of them, but when I first rode my current bike I just knew it was right.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The time I recommend test rides is when someone comes on with a post saying "I am 5'10, what size bike do I need?".

Because we are all uniquely proportioned, the only way to tell is to ride a few bikes and see what suits.

Tynan

Veteran
I think people think there's a perfect bike out there for them when in reality a range of bikes will be good for them, and others not

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm not sure you do 'know' instantly. When I bought Liesl, my bike, I'd been riding a Dawes hybrid for years. I actually didn't like trying out a Thorn tourer with drop-bars - in fact because I didn't clip into my pedals I could barely pedal her along. However I knew she fitted me well and just kind of blindly trusted that it was a good buy. Risky, I know.

It took a few months and a few hundred miles to get used to the difference between the two bikes but now I totally adore her!! I agree with Tynan - I don't think there is one perfect bike out there for you, but as long as you find a bike that fits well and ticks your boxes, you'll love it pretty soon!

Blue

Legendary Member
When I bought my first bike I went to my LBS and got measured. The shop owner then showed me what he condidered the best value bike for what I wanted to do and I tried it. As soon as I got on the bike I loved it, however, I still tried every bike in the shop that was my size. I bought the first bike I had tried and 3yrs later still love it. So, yes, I did feel the bike was the right one from the start - but I still checked to ensure there wasn't a better one in the shop ;)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Blue said:
When I bought my first bike I went to my LBS and got measured. The shop owner then showed me what he condidered the best value bike for what I wanted to do and I tried it. As soon as I got on the bike I loved it, however, I still tried every bike in the shop that was my size. I bought the first bike I had tried and 3yrs later still love it. So, yes, I did feel the bike was the right one from the start - but I still checked to ensure there wasn't a better one in the shop ;)
I like this approach.

Somewhere, sometime on this forum, there was a quote along the lines of:
When a decision becomes very hard, the final choice is not so critical, as there is so little to chose between them.
I try to remember that !

Cooser

I only tried two bikes, a Trek 7.3 and a Sirrus Elite, both felt good, so in the end I went with the Sirrus. Why? Because the service I received was far better than the shop which sold Trek bikes. As ‘yello’ said above ‘it’s better to hand over hard earned cash to someone you like’.

HF2300 said:
Beginners on most cycling forums are always told to go and test ride a few bikes. The suggestion is that when you jump on the right bike, you'll know it straight away - but do you really, or are you just eliminating the ones you definitely don't like?

I've test ridden a bunch of bikes; Specialized Globe, Sirrus, Kona Dew, Trek 7.3FX, 7.5FX, 7300, 7500, Marin Larkspur, Cannondale Bad Boy, one or two others, and my old Dawes Shadow which I've been commuting on. Having come down to the Trek 7.3FX / 7300 or Kona Dew, I'm still not sure which I like; while they all feel perfectly competent bikes, all have slight niggles, and no one bike really shouts out. I don't know if I'm being too analytical, or if I should dismiss everything and keep looking.

Does the right bike shout out at you? Do you eliminate a bike that feels OK, just because it doesn't bowl you over? What have your experiences been when test riding?

Thats whats up you have test riden to many bikes you 1st need to look ant what your going to be doing with the bike (MTB, DH, 2mile trip to work, 20mile trip to work, racing.......) Then look at how much money you have to spend. Now you have got to this point start looing at what bikes will do the job you need it for and pick two or three (This is where you are) Now test ride the ones you have picked dont just go round the block go for a ride! now you have test riden the bikes go home have a beer what ever and push out one (because of the kit, ride, color?..) Then in a day or two go back and test ride the bikes that are left and Yes they will let you have more then one test ride. and pick one dont forget to ask for some bits to come with the bike ie. lock, lights, pump, a new seat if you dont like the one that comes with it...... All good LBS will give you some bits or a discount.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I think if you test-ride a bike and don't get a 'Wow - this is great!' feeling, that's a sign it's not the right bike for you.

Once you do get that feeling, then it doesn't really matter how many other bikes would also give you the same feeling.

Ben

Top Bottom