Testing puncture repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
after I've applied a patch I leave it to dry, ten or fifteen minutes, put a bit of air in the tube, not a lot, just enough to inflate the tube, and put a bit of spit around the edge of the new patch; if it bubbles you didn't do it right. Never had a problem with the patches coming off once the tube is in the tyre and back up to full pressure. Old school, I know.

boydj

Legendary Member
Once on a wheel, the repair is held against the tyre, and will usually be ok if you've done the repair properly. The biggest danger is if you've missed a second puncture.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
^^^ BTW If you've used a glueless patch don't even think about inflating it* until it its back in the tyre.
* you're allowed a few puffs so that it just holds it's shape to get it back in the tyre and on the rim but no more!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I'm afraid the patches you've used are very basic, and really belong in the last century. I wouldn't use anything other than feather edge patches, and if you must use non-feather edge patches, at least round the corners to give them a bit of resistance to lifting off.

Best option for road tubes is the TipTop TT-04 kit, as it has thin, suitably sized patches, meaning that they won't wrap half way around the tube
http://products.rema-tiptop.de/en/automotive/fahrrad/sortiment-tt-04.html

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why are people still faffing around with glue?

I have found self adhesive patches work perfectly well. Its just like putting an elastoplast on.

I have used them for about a year and using glue etc seems a bit dark ages now. ^_^

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
View attachment 116061

How do you test them to be worthy of going on the next ride?
I wouldn't bother testing them to be honest. I'm not calling you personally because if you don't know how or haven't been shown then it's hardly your fault but those repairs are poor for a number of reasons and I wouldn't trust them for more than a last ditch attempt to get home.
  1. As already mentioned, feather edge patches are the best because they don't leave a prominent edge to peel up.
  2. Your picture showing just the glue on the tube seems to missing some glue for a few mm around the actual puncture hole. This will allow air to get between the patch and tube and increase the chances of the patch separating. Also, in the same image there is a seam near the puncture and when sanding/roughing the tube you should try to flatten any seams as much as possible without being so aggressive that you thin the tube wall too much. Some minor undulations are ok, after all it is two bits of rubber we are trying to join and they are squishy enough to conform to each other with some moderate pressure from a thumb against a hard surface.
  3. You haven't used enough glue. It doesn't need to go on thickly but you do need to cover an area a bit bigger than the patch. Your patches look as if they are not glued at the edges, either because the glue wasn't spread far enough or maybe you applied the patch before the glue had dried enough. You said you waited a minute or two, try more like 5-10 minutes. I often do mine while I am doing household chores so I can put the glue on then go and sort out the washing basket and load the washer or something. This prevents premature patch application from standing around watching glue dry! Patches will stick to the dry glue and not come off so get the position right first time!
  4. Once the patch is in place give it a good pressing down. You don't have to press and hold, just press as hard as you can then let go and apply some talc to the area where any remaining exposed glue is still seen to prevent the tube sticking to the inside of the tyre.
If you do all the above even the patches you have used will give a reliable repair but I suggest you cut them down a bit, maybe even in half for a simple pinhole puncture and round the corners slightly. Even better use a feather edged patch to achieve a repair like this on a tube I have just pulled out of my pannier and pictured just for you :okay:

upload_2016-1-16_23-26-42.png

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
You cant really test them unless you put them on a wheel with a tyre as you cant get any real sort of pressure in just a tube.
I keep 2 old wheels with worn-out rims for straightening warped tyres (because occasionally tyres I order online aren't packed too well), but you could also use these for testing tube patches. You just need spare tyres to use with them.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
IF you feel you need to test them, just put enough air in the tube for it to hold it's shape firmly, but not stretch the patch, and drape over tthe back of a chair overnight. (But not glueless repars!). You'll know in the morning if the tube is OK. IME if the tube goes down its probably because there is a second or third hole in it somewhere, and before condemning the patch I would put some more air in it and immerse it in a sink full of water to check.

Top Bottom