Tests to find your genetic makeup/heritage. Are the sellers/testers genuine, or will they just tell you anything to get money off you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not too bothered about my genetic make up but I can trace my ancestors back to certainly 1392 and possibly to 1306 on my father's side but only the 1700s on the maternal side.
This is of more interest than the mythical past.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Doesn't that presuppose that every conception was legitimate?

It does but going with the written records does it matter?
I do know that some of my family took refuge in the Low Counties but that would be on the male side mostly.
Not sure just now what all of them did but some were doctors and at least one was a preacher.
The records go by the male side generally and they assume legitimate paternity.

Have any of you used a test to find out your 'genetic makeup' or whatever they call it now? I've just been listening o the radio where a bloke said he found out his father wasn't his father, but more likely someone from Poland. I'm not after finding out such things, more just if I have any 'foreign blood' in me. Do you think those who sell/do such tests give genuine results, or will they tell you anything just to get some money off you? 🤔

Apparently the dog ones are a load of bobbins. Wish I'd read that before agreeing to having our dog done !

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ma...elf as,research partner of Cornell University.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I thought it fascinating when the teacher in Cheddar was found to be a direct descendant of 'Cheddar Man' found in a cave at Cheddar.

It was pretty obvious tbf. Early Cheddar Man was found with what looked like patches of corduroy attached to his elbows.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Apparently the dog ones are a load of bobbins. Wish I'd read that before agreeing to having our dog done !

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marketplace-dog-dna-test-1.6763274#:~:text=Wisdom Panel markets itself as,research partner of Cornell University.

Did the test results come up with a specific breed of your dog? When I got my mutt off an elderly woman 10 years ago it had on his vets 'birth certificate' that he was a cross between a Jack Russell and a Chihuahua. No way could I and still can't see any Chihuahua in him! I re-classed him myself as a Jack Shoot, which is a cross between a Jack Russell and a Shih Tzu.

nc_ohc=0xrY7VDkRN4AX-quiWf&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=yEeO7gj9CxoAX_t7zFJ&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=I6XKKp0_AdIAX9hLJlC&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=yN8OrR-HxRIAX-fFkTm&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Did the test results come up with a specific breed of your dog? When I got my mutt off an elderly woman 10 years ago it had on his vets 'birth certificate' that he was a cross between a Jack Russell and a Chihuahua. No way could I and still can't see any Chihuahua in him! I re-classed him myself as a Jack Shoot, which is a cross between a Jack Russell and a Shih Tzu.

View attachment 698346

View attachment 698347

View attachment 698348

View attachment 698349

Only a chihuahua could find another one attractive enough to have sex with it.

The dogs DNA comes back as Eastern European Village dog.
Which I suppose is accurate cos that's where he's from.
You do get examples of his closest relatives who have used the DNA test too. Although they seem to be Alsatians and he's nothing like that.
IMG_20220702_120215.jpg

View attachment 698346

View attachment 698347

View attachment 698348

View attachment 698349

Gorgeous dog !

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The dogs DNA comes back as Eastern European Village dog.
Which I suppose is accurate cos that's where he's from.
You do get examples of his closest relatives who have used the DNA test too. Although they seem to be Alsatians and he's nothing like that.
View attachment 698350

I'd 'self class' him as a black Labrador crossed with a Border Collie....maybe. 🤔 Look at those houses!:wub: That's a burglars paradise!!:whistle: :okay:

Top Bottom