Tests to find your genetic makeup/heritage. Are the sellers/testers genuine, or will they just tell you anything to get money off you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
I'd be interested to know if I am part Neanderthal :rolleyes:

If you're not of African decent then yes you are.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
@Accy cyclist you have 2 threads running on the same subject, here and in personal matters.
Where will I merge them into?
End Mod Note.

Yes, I have my DNA on several databases (only paid once though!) and I have found another branch of the family which I knew existed, but didn't know they had emigrated etc.

Yes, I have my DNA on several databases (only paid once though!) and I have found another branch of the family which I knew existed, but didn't know they had emigrated etc.
Can you imagine the conversation in their house when the letter dropped on the mat, after they'd gone to all the effort to sneak out to the other side of the world? :laugh:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
When looking for a Bone Marrow Donor for my Leukaemia, apparently there is something very unusual about my genetic make - up. I have always been curious as to what it was... Oh I never found a match either, although both my brother and sister match.
I guess I was adopted after all! 😆

So, if I knew it was as accurate as they can get, then yes, I'd do a test.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Mod Note:
@Accy cyclist you have 2 threads running on the same subject, here and in personal matters.
Where will I merge them into?
End Mod Note.

I didn't know I had one on Personal matters.🤔 Merging them onto here would be better I suppose. :okay:

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Not too bothered about my genetic make up but I can trace my ancestors back to certainly 1392 and possibly to 1306 on my father's side but only the 1700s on the maternal side.
This is of more interest than the mythical past.
Similar here, mothers family go back to 1230 and a castle near HadrIan’s Wall! Unfortunately family wealth and various heads went in the civil war.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Similar to @oldwheels and @geocycle both parents' family lines have been heavily traced by a too-inquisative aunt.

We already knew a lot of my father's family tree, back to 792, and my mother's is back to the early 1800's and potentially earlier by now. The aunt travels all over filling in little gaps.

And like @geocycle my father's family lost the family pile in the Civil War by backing the wrong side. We've been paupers ever since.

geocycle

Legendary Member
We already knew a lot of my father's family tree, back to 792, and my mother's is back to the early 1800's and potentially earlier by now. The aunt travels all over filling in little gaps.

And like @geocycle my father's family lost the family pile in the Civil War by backing the wrong side. We've been paupers ever since.
Wow, rare to get lineage back before the Conquest. I guess you must have some nobles to have such a long written heritage. We had an Earl of Carlisle.

classic33

Leg End Member
Similar to @oldwheels and @geocycle both parents' family lines have been heavily traced by a too-inquisative aunt.

There's family buried at/in Kirstall Abbey and in various churches in York.

On the other side, buried in the graveyard of the protestant church in Killaloe. To the left of the bridge as you come of it in Co. Clare.

I can't remember which ancestry site it was, but it was one of the free ones.

I got quite excited when the line I was following was already filed in by someone else, as happens on such sites, so I followed it back and got excited when it got to near 1066. I left it as I had to go out, and when I came back followed another line that went even further, and into a lot of Norse Kings etc. It then went even further back or I could check other lines for Roman Emperors etc.

Whoever had completed it, had taken the time to make the linkages historically accurate, even going through the bible for who begat who, getting right back to Adam and Eve on some links, and a less religious origin on others even further back.

The downside was that they'd taken a leap of faith and some imaginary connections to get from the modern era onto the more historic stuff. Was funny to see it though. :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
@classic33 - I was in that churchyard in Killaloe last summer.

I've a great-grandmother from Co. Clare. My aunt has details of exactly where from.
It was why I mentioned the church.
I've ancestors from there, Killaloe, and further up the east coast of Clare. Paper records go back two hundred years.

Try Clare County Library online, if you know roughly where or have a name. 1901 and 1911 census returns available there.

Top Bottom