Thai meals..... your favourite ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Only tried it twice.... both times I had green curry.
1st one in a pub was really enjoyable.
2nd one was M&S ready meal. I couldn't eat it. Flavour was waaay too strong and rice was sticky thai stuff.
Anyway......
There is a new takeaway Thai opened near us and several people have said how good it is.
Its called Noks and maybe a chain.
My Bro and SiL are visiting on Monday (first time in 12+ months).
We have decided to try it but have no idea what to order.
We DON'T like too hot or spicey.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Pad Thai is a classic and a pretty safe choice

Ginger steamed fish is a fav of mine at our local Thai pub

mikeIow

Guru
Ahh, a nice cuisine!
Strangely enough some of my favourites have been in pubs (King William in Simpson, now closed, The Wrestlers in Cambridge, still open, Black Horse, Walcott - now turned all gastro!). Something delightful about having a nice ale with a green Thai curry!
Our favourite here in Leicester (Imperial) closed down a year or two back....haven’t found a great replacement yet.

Green Thai is a bit spicy though. Try a massaman: always find them mild and delicious - hints of coconut and peanuts :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Red Thai curry with King Prawns or tofu stir fry with chilli and basil but that one can be v spicy :heat:

Don’t like green curry.
In my meat eating past, I’d still have prawns, wasn’t keen on meat floating around in a liquid sauce

Pad ThaI can be good, again with tofu and prawns, as long as not over sweet.

We found that Pad Thai in a local place in Bangkok is not for the faint hearted :heat: (much beer needed during consumption!!)

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My favorite dish is pad nam prik pao but it's usually hot, it's a stir fry made with chilli paste. The other favourite is khao pad gra praow but that also hot, it's a fried rice dish with chilli. I'd agree that Pad Thai is usually a safe / reliable option. Corn cakes are good as a starter or side, usually not too hot. Moo tod (fried pork with white pepper and oyster sauce) is lovely. Thai chicken wings are delicious and usually not too hot.
With a lot of Thai places you can ask if they can make it milder since chilli or chilli paste is added to most dishes during cooking and it's all cooked fresh. Or should be!

Like @mikelow I've found some of the best Thai food in pubs, the Churchill Arms in Kensington and the Pack Horse in Chiswick have been two that really impressed. I'm very lucky / my waistline is very unlucky that I've got a really lovely Thai takeaway about 4 minutes walk from my front door.
Anything ready made from a supermarket is a waste of time, it lacks the whole vibrancy and freshness of Thai food so it misses the point. Although a few supermarkets do have great ingredients in the ethnic aisle, especially if there are a lot of Eastern-origin families living in the area. If they've got a Thai brand curry paste (May Ploy or similar) try making your own.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Fish and chips would hit the spot for me - funny how the grass is always greener on the other side :laugh:
20210410_103551.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We make our own. Pad Thai is really nice, and you control the heat. Malaysian is lovely, but hot.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Lovely fragrant soups and salads can be had. Tom Kha Gai is a rich chicken soup. Delish. Penang curries are made with lime leaves and peanut, and not overly spiced. Both massaman - peanut and coconut - and yellow curries are fairly mild but aromatic. I’ve found my tastebuds growing to like more chilli heat the more I explore Thai food. Beware true red curry or many of the stir fry dishes. Intense heat. Lucky to have a top Thai eatery within walking distance. Might order one up tonight!

I use those little pots of green curry sauce with a tin of cocunut milk to make a fish curry. I think the brand is Flying Dragon or Flying Pidgeon, some flying oriental cliche.

Prawn Tom Yum (Tom yum goong ) soup for me. Spicy and clears your sinus. I do like Thai cuisine. Those who are cautious of spicy and hot food, Pad Thai noodles is a safe bet.

If you are not dining alone, order rice and shares dishes so you can try a range of dishes at one sitting. Get a dish of veg, something fried like Pandan chicken and a green curry.

Here is a suggestion for 2 diners
1. Tom Yum Goong - tell them less spicy. An appetiser but order it with the rest as it can be part of main dining.
2. Pandan Chicken -fried and comes wrapped in pandan leave
3. Green chicken curry
4. Any vegetable - Thais are generally not advanced in veg area like other Asian cuisines and it tends to be in salad form
5. Rice

Most of the time the soup is served as an individual portion. Rice is served either individually or comes in a bowl and you take a much as want on your plate. The rest of the dishes to be shared. If there are more than 2 of you, order more dishes from the range to explore.

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
I lived off Pad Thai cooked from outdoor seller's woks during my year travelling south Asia during the 1980's. The fried peanuts tasted great.

Gin khao ruu yang khrup/ka?

Top Bottom