Thames Valley Path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firefly

Thought I`d put a little info on here as rode the TVP from Greenwich to Windsor on a road bike.....Wasn`t sure what the surface was like so thought I`d try it and let others know. The route itself is pretty well signposted apart from Richmond Park and Windsor park where it isn`t signed at all. From Greenwich to Southwark many of the roads/paths are cobbled and twisty so can`t gain any speed here. Signage around southwark bridge is poor but you can`t go far wrong. Putney bridge was closed and is until about October i think but you can walk across with your bike. From Kingston to Egham the cycle paths are then mainly gravel and in some areas heavy gravel and very bumpy. Passable on a road bike but not surprised i managed to get a puncture. One particular section, Coopers hill lane, approaching Windsor was totally unrideable on a road bike and so had to walk but only about 200metres.

If anyone is interested in knowing more about this route then please do not hesitate to contact me

TwoPosts

If anyone is interested in knowing more about this route then please do not hesitate to contact me
Small world. I've been thinking about this and planning the trip the other way from Windsor Great Park taking in the Shepperton / Weybridge ferry.

Planning to do it on a hybrid shod with marathon pluses so road surface not an issue.

I have the trip (via the ferry) at around 45 miles (top of the long walk in Windsor Great Park to the Cutty Sark) is that correct?

Can I ask how long it took, average speeds, I was hoping to average 10 mph (or more, my typical average distance ride on the hybrid is 11-12 mph on roads/bridleways)

Thanks

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The Windsor - Hampton Court route is one of my most used routes. I use the Thames Path, which as @User points out, is NT and there are large parts I wouldn't go near on my road bike. I always use the hybrid which is shod with 38c tyres, much better suited and more comfy to boot. You can follow pretty much the same route on a road bike, all on a road. Do that quite alot too. Not gone beyond Hampton Court yet though.

Top Bottom