Thank God For The BBC and The Licence Fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Cue for some BBC bashing? I hope not. One of my pet hates, relentless crass advertising. Particularly the gambling industry, the car insurance racket (No, I don't want a blasted stuffed meerkat, just give us some good value insurance). Did somebody say Just Eat? No! Bugger off!
Absence of advertising isn't the BBC's main strong point, but it's a bonus. I'm one of those who do have a TV and a licence and also think it's well worth the money.
It's not just private products being sold. If you watch cable or satellite, they promote the same programmes in every single ad slot in the hour - all of them!. Last night I was watching a show on Pick Tv and they just relentlessly promoted in every ad break a trailer for that daft series where two 'comedians' try out different sports (it's s**t).

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I think thats the way i'll be going, spend my days winding up the goons.
Fill in the online form. Job done. I think you get a reminder after a while checking, in disbelief, that you still don't want one.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If you travel far and wide you’ll find 2 British institutions universally admired: The BBC and The NHS. BBC news is the most trusted single source worldwide.

It’s a shame the Tories don’t seem to understand this and constantly seek to run both into the ground rather than invest in enviable success….

Last edited:

Baldy

Über Member
: The BBC and The NHS. BBC news is the most teusted source worldwide.

It’s a shame the Tories don’t seem to understand this and constantly seek to run both into the ground rather than invest in enviable success….
I don't think this is the case anymore, Tony Blair emasticated the BBC news long ago and the tories have done nothing to rectify this.

I do have a TV and a licence but hardly ever watch more than one or two programs per month. So to me it's not good value at all. I should really just bin it and save myself the money.

Alex321

Veteran
I have a TV but I don't have a licence.
I never watch Live programmes, and don't have a BBC anymore.

If you record anything to watch later, or watch any broadcast TV (any channel) via the internet, or watch anything at all on iplayer, you still need a licence.

Yeah, im not sure i want to fill in the form and thus a) draw attention to myself, and b) give Crapita my name.

You will get fairly frequent letters if your address doesn't have a licence. And may get a licence inspector calling (but who has no right of entry unless they can get a warrant). If you fill in the form, they will normally ignore you for about 2 years.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I was going to ask @Drago which radio stations he listens to?
The licence fee does pay for the BBC radio stations as well.

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to love Radio 4, but they became overwhelmingly biased and 'right-on' following a certain referendum a few years back.

I'm not interested in any of that. I want unbiased news, commentary, entertainment, and informative programming, not constant sniping, so I very regretfully binned it off.

That doesn't leave much else for serious discussion, so it's Planet Rock premium, with no adverts! Worth every penny to an ageing pub-band-bassist like me.

You will get fairly frequent letters if your address doesn't have a licence. And may get a licence inspector calling (but who has no right of entry unless they can get a warrant). If you fill in the form, they will normally ignore you for about 2 years.

I have CCTV and won't even answer the door to them. I know exactly the process for obtaining a warrant, having obtained tens of hundreds myself over the years, and without some credible evidence - and my name - they won't be getting one.

And if they perjure themselves to onpbtain one i'll see the named applicant in prison for their trouble.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I have CCTV and won't even answer the door to them. I know exactly the process for obtaining a warrant, having obtained tens of hundreds myself over the years, and without some credible evidence - and my name - they won't be getting one.

And if they perjure themselves to onpbtain one i'll see the named applicant in prison for their trouble.

Absolutely. It is rare they would be able to geta warrant.

I was just pointing out it is probably less hassle overall to fill in their form. It draws less attention than not having a licence without filling it in will.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Yeah, im not sure i want to fill in the form and thus a) draw attention to myself, and b) give Crapita my name.
I haven't had a licence for over 20 years (or a TV for that matter), they have never visited my place, despite threatening to do so many times. I get a letter about every 2 years. It goes straight in the bin.
I've been advised that, if they come to the door, just say a polite 'No thankyou' and shut the door. Do NOT try to engage them with any conversation, no matter how clever you think you are.

Last edited:
If you travel far and wide you’ll find 2 British institutions universally admired: The BBC and The NHS.
Yup.

I don't think this is the case anymore, Tony Blair emasticated the BBC news long ago and the tories have done nothing to rectify this.

I do have a TV and a licence but hardly ever watch more than one or two programs per month. So to me it's not good value at all. I should really just bin it and save myself the money.
Try watching a whole evening of telly in any foreign country. (I wish you luck.) Then get back to us.

(There are probably a few health services abroad that now better our NHS, but the BBC can still hold its head up! News "bias" will always be a personal opinion - I've seen plenty of awful news abroad, too ... )

Your rock station is £48 a year ? A B&W licence is only £53.

Again it just shows what good value the BBC is.
God knows how many national and local stations you can get there.

I don't think there is a BBC rock though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom