Thank God For The BBC and The Licence Fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
They did... but they dodn't do any detecting. They were empty vans, all liveried up with an implausible antenna on the roof that just drove up and down a bit to put the frighteners on the gullible.
Very true. My best mate's Dad used to drive one. He told us all about what a con they were.

Drago

Legendary Member
We had a lecture at our ham radio club from an old boy who'd done a load of sneaky beaky monitoring for MI5 in the 50's and 60's, and he told us they were a sham.

If you watch anything on a TV you are supposed to have a licence. I have no telly so am fireproof anyway on that score.

Ad it happens I do have a licence...at the moment, but won't when it expires.

But sadly you are a little out of date. The law has changed and you no longer need a licence for simply owning equipment that is capable of receiving a tv signal.

As the law stands now you only need a licence for watching - or recording - live tv. On demand streaming of the likes of Netflix, Prime, Britbox, or catch-up services, even the Sky movies box office, does not require licence as it is not live tv, even if you physically watch it on an actual television.

I must agree that watching the Beeb on catch up without a licence is morally wrong, but as I don't watch the Beeb anyway - or even listen to them any more - my soul shall still pass into heaven.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
BBC was once the epitome of first class TV - but for some time now it has been dire. Very limited amount of quality drama and documentaries. The News is awful too, it was once a 10pm staple for us but is no more.

We are seriously debating whether or not to pay our licence fee any more. We never watch ITV etc and the Beeb maybe half a dozen dramas per year.

Limited number of TV hours in our house, certainly <10 per week and they are on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I used to love Radio 4, but they became overwhelmingly biased and 'right-on' following a certain referendum a few years back.

I'm not interested in any of that. I want unbiased news, commentary, entertainment, and informative programming, not constant sniping, so I very regretfully binned it off.

That doesn't leave much else for serious discussion, so it's Planet Rock premium, with no adverts! Worth every penny to an ageing pub-band-bassist like me.

I have CCTV and won't even answer the door to them. I know exactly the process for obtaining a warrant, having obtained tens of hundreds myself over the years, and without some credible evidence - and my name - they won't be getting one.

And if they perjure themselves to onpbtain one i'll see the named applicant in prison for their trouble.
They used to pester our Customs and Excise man who was Irish and he told them he had more power than they had and if they did not b---er off he would get the Black Squad to do them over as he suspected them of drug trafficking.:laugh:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'll be amazed if the BBC is still around in 20 years, simply because 'watching the telly' has, in a generation, gone from being something everyone does to being essentially a pursuit of the elderly & expiring. It always was an anachronism, and will I fear all too soon go the way of the buggy whip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom