That damn commuting light thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Arch said:
Um, aren't those lights supposed to fit on the bike? So how would you be physically connected to the bike if the cable just ran a bit further back to the saddle?

Ah good point. Sorry Elmer, I misread your post, I thought you were suggesting putting the battery in my back pack. My 4 month old isn't letting me get much sleep at the moment!

I don't think I would have enough space their either, I'd have to find somewhere else for my back light as it looks like the battery hangs down a reasonable amount.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
No prob Mag, I've a couple of matches here if you need them to prop your eyelids open !!
Thinking about the light set up maybe extending the cables may be a bad idea as in voltage (amperage) drop.

PrettyboyTim

Tom, I don't know where you carry your D-Lock on your bike (assuming you use one), but perhaps the battery could hang inside it? Then you wouldn't need to free up any of your frame.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tim,

My D-Lock is inside the frame triangle as is my connector for my hamax child seat. I've just popped out to have a look at the bike and there just isn't enough room. That's a shame.:blush:

Anyone know of any lights similar to the smart light that has a smaller battery (i.e. not lead acid). Actually a single light will do? I need something that can be seen and lights up the way ahead at least a little.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hi Tim,

I'm not reading posts very well today!! I think the space between the D-lock will be too tight, and I'd have te keep fiddling with the battery just to get my d-lock off. I think it is a no go. :blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Do you carry a pannier? Could you extent the cable and carry the battery in there? Oh, hang on, child seat, maybe not...

Or fit a basket to the handlebars...:blush:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Arch said:
Do you carry a pannier? Could you extent the cable and carry the battery in there? Oh, hang on, child seat, maybe not...

Or fit a basket to the handlebars...:blush:

Mmmm a basket. The Glasgow neds would see me coming a mile off!

Actually, I wonder if one of those space bar thingys would do the trick. I'll just pop over to wiggle....

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
STEP AWAY FROM THE CREDIT CARD, before your missus sends you into orbit. xx(

:biggrin:

I've already primed the wife that I want a new light, but I do want to limit my outlay to about the £50 mark (which realistically means I would probably go up to £70 :blush:)

Alcdrew

magnatom said:
Maybe I could use one of these (http://tinyurl.com/2ddwa3) to hold the battery (It would probably hang over the black extension, I think. I'll need to think about that.....:blush:

Don't think that the weight of the battery hanging off the bar would be good.

I had a set of these light last year, have given them away this year, as I wanted something more compact. But the cable was long enough to reach the back seat, as thats where I had my battery in a seat bag. With still enough room in the bag for a tube repair kit.

Top Bottom