1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That damn commuting light thread!

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by magnatom, 30 Oct 2007.

1. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Yes I know this is a recurring thread, but available lights change etc.

I currently have a cateye on front (EL-510 I think) and last year I was happy with that, but now I am thinking that I need more front light.

I ride on urban roads almost exclusively (although I can on occasion pop off onto an dark canal side cyclepath). I want another light to sit next to the cateye, but brighter. What do folk suggest (I am looking at about the £50 mark.)

Obviously I am more interested in being seen than lighting up the road, although that would be an added bonus (and would help the camera footage :blush:)

Very happy with my Smart superflash on the rear. That is one bright rear light!

2. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

I'd say the Dinotte 600L - it's one hell of a bright light...

...but it is £250+ :blush:

3. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

As noted in another thread, I've ordered a Smart BL201 set, which are an order of magnitude cheaper.

I'll report back on them once they arrive.

4. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Regulator,

I do you know of any way of stretching the £50 to £250? It has to be guaranteed of course :blush:

Tim,

I'm not sure I have space for the battery, with my lock and child carrier connector connected to the bike already. I'm probably looking for a fully contained option.

5. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Oh and Tim, one downside to the smart light is its weight at 1.2kg! My bike is pretty heavy as it is although if I could shift just over a kilo myself.....:blush:

6. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

Yeah, it is pretty heavy I guess... but my bike's not light anyway, and with the locks, panniers etc on it already, I figure I won't notice and extra kilo or two!

7. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

'Two-headed sex beast' in the 3:10 at Cheltenham, she'll romp home.

ba-doom!
    ah, damn. :biggrin:

8. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

magnatom,

requiring slightly safer odds of course is what i've just gone and ordered
    which is
    this

I've gone for it 'cos it's nice and light and with an elegant unbulky battery, it's power-LED rather than halogen so it's more efficient and dissipates less heat and it takes AAs which can be rechargeable.
    I may even be able to fit the battery on a pump bracket and use the brackets that come with it to secure my lock onto my pannier rack, now that would be neat and my commuter bike would be sorted to a T then... :blush:

9. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

What I don't understand about that light is that it's dimmer than the (same brand) Ozone 21ne, which I bought last year for £50, and which is still a fair bit cheaper.

10. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Bonj,

I saw that one, I'm just not sure I have any space left on the frame for the batteries.

Mister Paul,

I think the ozone 21ne is a strong contender.

11. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

Tim, I love 'em.

http://picasaweb.google.com/garryneedham/2007_1004

I don't particularly notice the extra weight, maybe I will in the summer when they come off?

Turn on both lights when filtering up double lane, slow/stood traffic and cagers move apart and let you straight thro'. They seem to have no idea what you are??

Used them occasionally last winter, off road. Honestly, I'd say they're good for trails you know when you don't want to belt along.

12. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

It's great. You really don't want to look at it head on. It'll light up your way, but the beam is pretty narrow. So I need something to complement it in the darkness. I'm edging towards Ayups, with the Ozone as a helmet light (the helmet bracket it comes with is very good).

Cheapest (and best) place for BLT lights is www.dotbike.com. Where you can see that it looks like Polaris are now sticking their name on the same lights.

13. AtmoLav

AtmoLav New Member

I've got some of these, and I've got to say at that price they are an absolute steal. Part of my commute is along a country road through a forest and these light the whole road. The fact that you can switch off the main beam is good for being seen in traffic too. They are a bit heavy, but the battery seems to have a decent charge life too.

Personally, I wouldn't go spending hundreds of pounds on anything else when these are so cheap.

14. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Actually, the more I think about it Tim and AtmoLav might be right. At just short of £20 these must be worth a punt. I'll look at my bike tonight to see if there is any space for the battery. If so I may be buying one of these light sets.

15. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Is the cable on the smart BL 201's long enough to hang the battery of your saddle (aka, old saddle bag style) ?