That damn commuting light thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes I know this is a recurring thread, but available lights change etc.

I currently have a cateye on front (EL-510 I think) and last year I was happy with that, but now I am thinking that I need more front light.

I ride on urban roads almost exclusively (although I can on occasion pop off onto an dark canal side cyclepath). I want another light to sit next to the cateye, but brighter. What do folk suggest (I am looking at about the £50 mark.)

Obviously I am more interested in being seen than lighting up the road, although that would be an added bonus (and would help the camera footage :blush:)

Very happy with my Smart superflash on the rear. That is one bright rear light!

PrettyboyTim

As noted in another thread, I've ordered a Smart BL201 set, which are an order of magnitude cheaper.

I'll report back on them once they arrive.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User,

I do you know of any way of stretching the £50 to £250? It has to be guaranteed of course :blush:

Tim,

I'm not sure I have space for the battery, with my lock and child carrier connector connected to the bike already. I'm probably looking for a fully contained option.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Oh and Tim, one downside to the smart light is its weight at 1.2kg! My bike is pretty heavy as it is although if I could shift just over a kilo myself.....:blush:

PrettyboyTim

Yeah, it is pretty heavy I guess... but my bike's not light anyway, and with the locks, panniers etc on it already, I figure I won't notice and extra kilo or two!

bonj2

magnatom,

requiring slightly safer odds of course is what i've just gone and ordered
which is
this

I've gone for it 'cos it's nice and light and with an elegant unbulky battery, it's power-LED rather than halogen so it's more efficient and dissipates less heat and it takes AAs which can be rechargeable.
I may even be able to fit the battery on a pump bracket and use the brackets that come with it to secure my lock onto my pannier rack, now that would be neat and my commuter bike would be sorted to a T then... :blush:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Bonj,

I saw that one, I'm just not sure I have any space left on the frame for the batteries.

User,

I think the ozone 21ne is a strong contender.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
PrettyboyTim said:
As noted in another thread, I've ordered a Smart BL201 set, which are an order of magnitude cheaper.

Tim, I love 'em.

http://picasaweb.google.com/garryneedham/2007_1004

I don't particularly notice the extra weight, maybe I will in the summer when they come off?

Turn on both lights when filtering up double lane, slow/stood traffic and cagers move apart and let you straight thro'. They seem to have no idea what you are??

Used them occasionally last winter, off road. Honestly, I'd say they're good for trails you know when you don't want to belt along.

AtmoLav

PrettyboyTim said:

I've got some of these, and I've got to say at that price they are an absolute steal. Part of my commute is along a country road through a forest and these light the whole road. The fact that you can switch off the main beam is good for being seen in traffic too. They are a bit heavy, but the battery seems to have a decent charge life too.

Personally, I wouldn't go spending hundreds of pounds on anything else when these are so cheap.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Actually, the more I think about it Tim and AtmoLav might be right. At just short of £20 these must be worth a punt. I'll look at my bike tonight to see if there is any space for the battery. If so I may be buying one of these light sets.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Elmer Fudd said:
Is the cable on the smart BL 201's long enough to hang the battery of your saddle (aka, old saddle bag style) ?

No. Although the bit that goes from the battery to the midpoint connection wouldn't be difficult to 'mod' or make a substitute.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Elmer Fudd said:
Is the cable on the smart BL 201's long enough to hang the battery of your saddle (aka, old saddle bag style) ?

Not sure I'd want to be connected like that to the bike and it would be a pain to have to connect the battery every time I mounted the bike. I already have to connect my helmet camera up.

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
Not sure I'd want to be connected like that to the bike and it would be a pain to have to connect the battery every time I mounted the bike. I already have to connect my helmet camera up.

Um, aren't those lights supposed to fit on the bike? So how would you be physically connected to the bike if the cable just ran a bit further back to the saddle?

Top Bottom