That London - it's a hell hole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I recommend you listen to this piece on authenticity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lsyrh
Thanks for that. It doesn't change my position, but it was an interesting wander. I was particularly struck by the experiment where people were given the same wine in three different - and differently-priced - bottles, and MRI scans revealed how brain stimulation increased in line with the 'price'.

The whole thing reminded me of a series from a few years back where ordinary members of the public were groomed to see whether they could fool members of a profession into thinking they were of that profession, after just a week or two of intensive training. One bloke was to be a modern artist, and when his works were reviewed after his two weeks, one of the three professional critics spotted a wrong'un, saying 'this looks like the work of someone who's been given a crash course in the techniques of modern art, and has mastered them creditably well, but there's no evidence of a the kind of underlying unifying passion or set of ideas that are the mark of the true artist.' The other two critics bought it hook, line & sinker, enthusing about the masterful this and the energy of that and the almost ethereal blah de blah etc. When the truth was revealed, one of them took it on the chin, laughed and said, basically, 'you got me'. The other one threw his toys out of the pram and went into an almighty art critic huff. It was all most entertaining!

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't know...I think she's taking this whole manipulation business too far...

upload_2016-11-3_19-48-48.png

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Thanks for that. It doesn't change my position, but it was an interesting wander. I was particularly struck by the experiment where people were given the same wine in three different - and differently-priced - bottles, and MRI scans revealed how brain stimulation increased in line with the 'price'.

The whole thing reminded me of a series from a few years back where ordinary members of the public were groomed to see whether they could fool members of a profession into thinking they were of that profession, after just a week or two of intensive training. One bloke was to be a modern artist, and when his works were reviewed after his two weeks, one of the three professional critics spotted a wrong'un, saying 'this looks like the work of someone who's been given a crash course in the techniques of modern art, and has mastered them creditably well, but there's no evidence of a the kind of underlying unifying passion or set of ideas that are the mark of the true artist.' The other two critics bought it hook, line & sinker, enthusing about the masterful this and the energy of that and the almost ethereal blah de blah etc. When the truth was revealed, one of them took it on the chin, laughed and said, basically, 'you got me'. The other one threw his toys out of the pram and went into an almighty art critic huff. It was all most entertaining!
Reminds me of this:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...and-everyone-mistook-it-for-art-a7049551.html

Slick

Guru
Aboot? You sure you've got the right London, eh?
As with most posts, this was meant as a bit light hearted. It was never meant to be held up to scrutiny and repeated as fact. That and the fact I wasn't entirely sure what dialect you would expect to hear in Londonstan nowadays anyway.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
As with most posts, this was meant as a bit light hearted. It was never meant to be held up to scrutiny and repeated as fact. That and the fact I wasn't entirely sure what dialect you would expect to hear in Londonstan nowadays anyway.
So was mine. I was referring to London, Ontario, in Canada. Where folks apparently say 'aboot' and 'eh'.

Top Bottom