That was so predictable...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My post at the beginning of April..

I accept full responsibility for the unusually cold spring weather. My central heating boiler finally died (aged 30 years) about 2 weeks ago.
I have had a plumber in and set the wheels in motion to have it replaced but as with all local tradespeople just now, they are working flat out and he won't be able to get my replacement fitted for at least a month.

So prepare yourselves for a very cold spell, until the day my heating is up and running, when there will be a heatwave lasting for months.
I know this because sod's law and I are very well acquainted.

Finally, after the coldest spring ever, the new central heating system is being put in this week. It should be up and running for Friday, just in time for the warmer weather arriving. Oh well......

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Must admit, it's been a pretty sh!tty year weather wise. Thankfully today in the SE, it looks like the last of the rain and colder temperatures for a while. April and May last year we were topping up our tans in the garden during lockdown.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Luckily the boiler I have is still produced by Worcester today so parts won’t be an issue and it is covered. However if I replace one in future I’m going to seriously consider an Electric one that I can replace myself if needs be.

Drago

Legendary Member
Warmer weather arriving? We're almost in June and Winter hasn't released its grip on us yet!

In the police they used to switch on the heating in early June, and whack it off again in December. When i joined jn '91 the nick still had a solid fuel boiler, and a lot of useless, inconvenient or incriminating paperwork would find its way into the boiler :laugh: Those were the days.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We put our heating on last week for a couple of hours just to take the chill off. Unheard of in May in the south East.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Thanks @Brandane I'll look forward to the warmer weather at the weekend. I am fed up with being cold all the time.
@Brandane is so selfless in pursuit of all our wellbeing :thumbsup:

Have a medal Brandane 🥇

macp

Guru
I think I can beat the misery of coughing up for a new boiler. We called a plumber in to look at our boiler and poor performing rads. Bear in mind our house is just over 10yrs old. Plumber stated the boiler needed replacing which was clear from the inspection he walked us through. A flush of the system should sort the rads but first sticking cleaner in the system to get to work on the blockage. All good so far until he arrived to do the flush and no matter how hard he tried he could not clear the blockage. Result is the whole house will have to be repiped :sad:. The plumber and I discovered after cutting an inspection hole upstairs that 10mm plastic pipe had been used not just into the rads but throughout. 😭

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I think I can beat the misery of coughing up for a new boiler.
Sadly mine is not just the boiler either. Radiators and associated piping too (which almost doubled the cost of the "boiler only" quote) but at least not a complete re-plumbing job. On a ten year old house? Have you got no comeback on the builders if the pipes used were not of the required type?

macp

Guru
Sadly mine is not just the boiler either. Radiators and associated piping too (which almost doubled the cost of the "boiler only" quote) but at least not a complete re-plumbing job. On a ten year old house? Have you got no comeback on the builders if the pipes used were not of the required type?
I feel you my friend but no comeback for us im afraid. The builders went bust and we suspect its why there have been a few corners cut. The positive I suppose is the plumber is brilliant and we are going to have as much copper in as he can fit with minimal plastic to the rads.

tyred

Legendary Member
My boiler has started making a strange and unhealthy noises in the past day or so but as I have only two more nights in this flat before I move out I don't particularly care...

Top Bottom