That World Cup Atmosphere...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ooh I like....ways to make friends and annoy your colleagues :-)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ha! The footie was on the telly on the ferry on the way back, and one of my party thought it was some sort of interference....

Arch

Married to Night Train
trustysteed said:
they were right, it's interfering with our enjoyment of the tournament!

I found the footie was an annoying distraction from the sweet musicality of the trumpets...:biggrin:

I was much happier when the channel changed to a French daytime magazine show - which happened, bizarrely, once we were within sight of the Isle of Wight!

Mac66

I never knew that giant golf tees were a musical instrument. I think golf is another of those "popular sport" thingies.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The vuvzela has a cycling link too! Quote from Wikipedia:

Well-known Kaizer Chiefs F.C. fan Freddie "Saddam" Maake claims to have invented the vuvuzela by adapting an aluminium version as early as 1965 from a bicycle horn after removing the black rubber to blow with his mouth. He later found it to be too short and joined a pipe to make it longer. Maake has photos of himself in the 1970s and 1980s at local South African games and international games in 1992 and 1996 and at the 1998 World Cup in France, holding the aluminium vuvuzela. He says the instrument was banned as authorities ruled it a dangerous weapon, which prompted him to find a plastic company that could manufacture it.[18]

Maz

Guru
A bunch of us make a vuvuzela noise at work whenever a goal's scored in any of the games.
Now we can play this tune! Nice!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
John the Monkey said:
There are companies that will make logoed ones.

Can a cycle-chat vuvuzela order be far away?

I've flagged this post to Admin to try and get you banned!!:thumbsup:

We so need CC vuvuzelas. I'd order a few.

I don't mean to be a kiljoy or anything resembling, but I remember when South Africa hosted the Rugby World cup - in 1995

How is it that this 'traditional' instrument, popularised by Freddie 'Saddam' Maake, in 1965, apparently..managed to bypass that most mischevious group of supporters, the Rugbymen?

In short, it's a load of marketing basteriskss!

Shaun

Founder
I bought a vuvuzela horn in Toys 'R' Us at the weekend, and can vouch form them being amazingly LOUD!!!

My colleagues aren't too impressed though because I make them all jump out of their skin as I randomly blow it through the day!!! :thumbsup:

Actually if you take a really really deep breath and give it a massive blast you can hear it over a quarter mile away ... I know because we tested it ... lol :sad:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Lidl are now giving them away when you buy beer. So I bought some beer! Have hidden it, and will bring it out for a parp for tomorrow's England match, and make the kids (and dog) jump out of their skins!:smile:

Top Bottom