Thats torn it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just after i set off from work the left crank arm on my old boardman sheared off :sad:
Luckily? i was next to a hedge at the ime so managed to stay uprightish., how the feck do i get the rest of it out though ?
Left hand arm sheared off on a hollowtech 2 chainset , not sure i can bang it through as its torn right nxt to the bb cup and looks like it has bits sticking out , undo the BB and hope it pushes the crank arm through ?

BurningLegs

Veteran
Crikey, sounds like a lucky escape! Have you got any photos of the damage?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Crikey, sounds like a lucky escape! Have you got any photos of the damage?
WIN_20170922_20_36_34_Pro.jpg

If it's HTII just whack the remaining crank with a rubber mallet, the chain rings and crank will come out ( as long as you get the chain away from the rings first)

IMG_5232.JPG

This should do it.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

If it's HTII just whack the remaining crank with a rubber mallet, the chain rings and crank will come out ( as long as you get the chain away from the rings first)

View attachment 374921

This should do it.
Its whether the remains of the crank where it sheared stop it coming out is the issue , going to have a play later when kids are fed and watered.

davidphilips

Veteran
Thank goodness you stayed on the bike and did not have an accident well done, no matter what the cost of the repair it will be a very cheap and easy repair to what it could have been.

Save your chain wheels of the old chainset and perhaps look on ebay for a replacement to keep the cost down, any idea what caused the crank to fail?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Thank goodness you stayed on the bike and did not have an accident well done, no matter what the cost of the repair it will be a very cheap and easy repair to what it could have been.

Save your chain wheels of the old chainset and perhaps look on ebay for a replacement to keep the cost down, any idea what caused the crank to fail?
took the left crank to bits and the remains of the axle was in 2 bits , looking back i did hear a crack the day before but dint feel anything odd.
The outer chainring is pretty worn anyway but i have stripped the inner and chainring bolts off and kept the left arm just in case.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

presta

Guru
I had a crank break about 25 years ago. Nothing broken, but I was black and blue for weeks after.

Top Bottom