Thats torn it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Got it out but destroyed the seal on the drive side BB cup as it pushed through .
Is it a Shimano crankset? That must be quite unusual, total failure like that. I'd write to the UK distributors and Halfords.
The cheapest Sora double 9sp(?) compact i could see is £75 at Evans. It comes with the BB.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Doesn't riding style increase the likelihood of breaking cranks? I.e standing up and honking side to side up hills.

I think Sheldon Brown wrote that this leads to increased wear in the frame and components.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is it a Shimano crankset? That must be quite unusual, total failure like that. I'd write to the UK distributors and Halfords.
The cheapest Sora double 9sp(?) compact i could see is £75 at Evans. It comes with the BB.
its not rare , posted on facefluff on bike bible and saw 2 other people who broke theirs this week , mine was fsa and theirs was shimano .
6 years old so i doubt i would get much joy anyway .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Modern crap.
Square taper. They shoulda just left it alone.
I kinda agree i found i have a spare chainset in the parts bin but its fsa powerdrive with again a hollow axle but looks like it willl be the cheapest option to get the bike on the road again as all i need is a new BB ( £30 ish ) rather than a new chainset and BB

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Fitted the fsa vero chainset with powerdrive BB , got to say it was the easiest installation of a BB i have had , might need to tweak the front mech a smidge but otherwise its looking good.
Might as well buy a replacement BB or two over the next few months and get a stock on as i have read they are no longer made so may as well get a couple and use the chainset while its good as its on the commuter/winter bike as long as its working....

Top Bottom