The 2 faces of cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The total dickhead

Yesterday, Jannie and I took our road bikes out for a spin. We were on a little used cycle path not far from home. I have ridden it for 10 years and maybe seen about 6 cyclists in all that time. Admittedly, it is quite thin and we were riding 2 abreast and not rushing.

Without any warning there was a guy right on our back wheels on a road bike, screaming and shouting and telling us to get out of the Fxcking way. I did 12 years in the army and then 6 as a police officer and so being Sworn at is just like breathing for me. We stopped, mainly because I knew that would pis's him off and I asked him if he had a bell on his bike that he could have warned us with. He looked at me as if I had asked to sleep with his wife, not that this tosser would ever find anyone to marry him. " cant you see this is a road bike" he spluttered. " You dont put bells on a road bike". Ding, ding, ding went Jannie and I with our road bike bells in unison. We let Mr Dickhead past and carried on with our ride.

In 11 years of being in Denmark, that was my first cyclist "Incident".

SUCH NICE PEOPLE

Fast forward 30 minutes, wider cycle track.

We are approaching a group of cyclists from behind on street bikes, ages varying from 30 - 70 ish.

Ding ding went Jannies, road bike bell, that she shouldnt have on a road bike. The group of cyclists move over to let us past.

"Tak". Says Jannie......she is Danish

"Thank you very much". I say.......Im not Danish

"Stop, Stop". Shouts someone from the group. Here we go another barney, one in a day was my record so far.

"Are you English". Asked a lady in the group. "Yes I am but please dont hold it against me, we did get the Germans out of here at the end of the war for you" I replied. Actually, the Germans would have gone home by themselves, but it was good PR.

The lady Marion...its true...was visiting friends in Denmark with her husband. Marion and Dave are from Cheshire. They invited us to their friends house for coffee. Only English people can invite people to someone elses house for coffee. We do it so well. We spent an hour with the group getting warm and drinking coffee and eating cake before heading home.

Similar things have happened to us in Denmark in the past....the second incident, not the first.

A tiny little bell on a road bike will not provide enough weight or wind drift to bother you. But it may make you some new friends.

Steve

Last edited:

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
There are two ding dings on all my bikes.....me and the bell:shy:^_^ When I first raced a bell was compulsory in our club races, have one or don't race! Wouldn't feel right without one somehow

So the morale of the story is that those who rides street bikes are better behaved than lycra clad men on expensive road bikes?

It wasn't a BMW road bike by any chance?

bmw-m-series-carbon-racer-bike-1.jpg

..or an Audi?

Audi-Duo-Road-bicycle-by-Renovo1.jpg

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So the morale of the story is that those who rides street bikes are better behaved than lycra clad men on expensive road bikes?

No, because Jannie and I were both lycra clad and on road bikes.

The moral of the story is that you do not have to be antagonistic on a bike because it will get you nowhere. If you are just polite, it can get you new friends, coffee and cake.

Did you know the Audi bike was made of wood? Lovely to hang on the wall.

Steve

Linford

Talking about Audi drivers, i saw this yesterday in the resort we are staying in

1420270_10152002084743704_579531841_n.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks for reminding me... I'm going out for a ride along the Lune valley cycleway with Gti Junior later and he's insisting on taking the roadies.... better fit a couple of bells for the Sunday walkers.

Top Bottom