The 2015 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Only 45 miles today , turned up for the medium club rub as i hadn't been for ages so i thought a steadyride was in order and although it was a nice friendly ride i just pulled at the front as it was sedate so by the time i got near home dinner was about to be served so i decided not to extend my ride,

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got my final '50' of the year in today as well. I had planned to get up at a reasonable time to do it but didn't manage to get to sleep until 04:30 this morning so I wasn't really in a fit state to ride until this afternoon.

I have had a cold for over a week and hadn't ridden my bike for 2 weeks so I was not feeling particularly lively. Despite that, I wanted to get the ride in today because I might not get many more chances this year with family visits taking up most of the remainder of December.

It was windy here, but we had sunny spells earlier on. I had psyched myself up to doing the ride but then one of my sisters phoned. I told her that I wanted to get out to ride in the sunshine but she said she wouldn't keep me long. Over one hour later, I rushed upstairs to get my cycling kit on ... :whistle: My fault - I have Caller Display so I knew who it was, and it is always difficult to keep those calls short. I should have ridden first and called her back after my post-ride shower!

I knew that I wouldn't be able to complete the ride in daylight so I made sure I had lights with me.

The temperatures are still high for the time of year, but it was about 6 degrees cooler than recent days and there was a strong blustery wind blowing which made conditions fairly chilly, especially as the sun went down.

I rode up the Cragg Vale climb into a strong cross headwind. I discovered higher up that I had picked up a mini peloton of other riders trying to keep in my wind shadow. They eventually breezed past me (ha ha) towards the top of the climb without a word of thanks for my efforts. What particularly irked me was how closely they overtook me but still not acknowledging me!

One of the other riders lost the wheel of his mates and drifted back towards me and I could tell that he intended to tuck in behind me again. Blow that for a game of soldiers - I got out of the saddle as I came up to him and sprinted past him so fast that he couldn't take my wheel! :laugh: His mates were waiting for him at the T-junction ahead. I did the rest of my ride solo.

I felt very tempted to abandon at the end of the 33 km loop but didn't want to wimp out of this challenge having already completed the metric century one so I forced myself to do the extra 17 km up and down the A646 in the dark.

That's pretty much my riding done for the year. As well as completing the metric and half metric century a month challenges, I have already done 2% more than my target distance for the year.

I'll join you again for the '50s' in 2016. :okay: I intend to try doing a couple of century rides a month (one metric plus one metric/imperial) but it would be nice to have another challenge to get me out between those longer rides.

Katherine

Guru
I got my final '50' of the year in today as well. I had planned to get up at a reasonable time to do it but didn't manage to get to sleep until 04:30 this morning so I wasn't really in a fit state to ride until this afternoon.

I have had a cold for over a week and hadn't ridden my bike for 2 weeks so I was not feeling particularly lively. Despite that, I wanted to get the ride in today because I might not get many more chances this year with family visits taking up most of the remainder of December.

It was windy here, but we had sunny spells earlier on. I had psyched myself up to doing the ride but then one of my sisters phoned. I told her that I wanted to get out to ride in the sunshine but she said she wouldn't keep me long. Over one hour later, I rushed upstairs to get my cycling kit on ... :whistle: My fault - I have Caller Display so I knew who it was, and it is always difficult to keep those calls short. I should have ridden first and called her back after my post-ride shower!

I knew that I wouldn't be able to complete the ride in daylight so I made sure I had lights with me.

The temperatures are still high for the time of year, but it was about 6 degrees cooler than recent days and there was a strong blustery wind blowing which made conditions fairly chilly, especially as the sun went down.

I rode up the Cragg Vale climb into a strong cross headwind. I discovered higher up that I had picked up a mini peloton of other riders trying to keep in my wind shadow. They eventually breezed past me (ha ha) towards the top of the climb without a word of thanks for my efforts. What particularly irked me was how closely they overtook me but still not acknowledging me!

One of the other riders lost the wheel of his mates and drifted back towards me and I could tell that he intended to tuck in behind me again. Blow that for a game of soldiers - I got out of the saddle as I came up to him and sprinted past him so fast that he couldn't take my wheel! :laugh: His mates were waiting for him at the T-junction ahead. I did the rest of my ride solo.

I felt very tempted to abandon at the end of the 33 km loop but didn't want to wimp out of this challenge having already completed the metric century one so I forced myself to do the extra 17 km up and down the A646 in the dark.

That's pretty much my riding done for the year. As well as completing the metric and half metric century a month challenges, I have already done 2% more than my target distance for the year.

I'll join you again for the '50s' in 2016. :okay: I intend to try doing a couple of century rides a month (one metric plus one metric/imperial) but it would be nice to have another challenge to get me out between those longer rides.
Well done!

13 rider

Guru

Well done colin and I think that make six of us in the completed club

13 rider

Guru

MikeW-71

Veteran
I fear I might be looking at a fail :sad:

Health and weather have killed my December, I've been out riding but not made it to 50k. I have a chance tommorrow evening, so fingers crossed.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Happy New Year.

OMG, that was an absolutely freezing night ride. Mileage isn't the only thing I've lost lately, that felt like hard work. Perhaps not the best choice of route either, tackling a hilly first half, but there it is... 34 miles. The 31st mile was completed with about 5 mins to spare :biggrin:

:cold: :crazy: :dance::wahhey:

13 rider

Guru
Happy New Year.

OMG, that was an absolutely freezing night ride. Mileage isn't the only thing I've lost lately, that felt like hard work. Perhaps not the best choice of route either, tackling a hilly first half, but there it is... 34 miles. The 31st mile was completed with about 5 mins to spare :biggrin:

:cold: :crazy: :dance::wahhey:
Wow brilliant mate talk about leaving it late !!!!!!
That makes us the magnificent seven . seven of us completed grad yourself a star .see earlier posts from @ianrauk and copy and paste .
If you were a few minutes late I'd let it stand

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Perhaps they should be bronze stars, leaving silver stars available for successful metric century challengers?

I was actually thinking that Colin.
Your decision bud....you seem to be running this challenge.. so over to you.
Can we have a decision on colour of the stars . Really believe that this is the third in terms of distance so should be bronze then Silver for metric century and gold for imperial
People who have completed the metric century appear to have no star !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom