The 2015 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are already challenge threads for monthly imperial centuries (100 mile rides) and metric centuries (100 km or 62.14 mile rides). I thought it would be a nice idea to come up with an easier challenge for those who don't have the time, energy or inclination to do the longer rides.

So here you go ... your challenge is to do at least one half century ride every calendar month of the year. You can arbitrarily choose to do 50 km (31.07 mile) or 50 mile rides in any given month depending on how you feel at the time, what the weather is like, and how much free time you have. If you fail to do one or the other, then your challenge has come to an end and will have to be restarted later. If you start off on one of the century challenges, but fail for some reason, you can always drop down into this challenge and keep on going!

You can start when you like, but I suggest that (in keeping with the other 2 challenges) a bronze star can be awarded for those who do a half century every month from January to December. (Currently, the imperial century riders get a gold star, and it has been suggested that the metric century riders will get a silver star. These are small graphics which can be displayed in the signature line under your posts.)

If you would like to keep a points tally, award yourself 1 point for a 50 km ride, 2 points for 50 miles, 3 points for 100 km or 4 points for 100+ miles. Obviously one ride can only score one lot of points.

I hope that this challenge is feasible for most of you. I know that 100+ km can seem an awfully long way for many cyclists, so perhaps 50+ km would be a more approachable challenge.

If you intend to have a go, post below and keep us up to date with your rides as we proceed through the year.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Mod Note
: In common with the other X-a month challenge thread, this thread is for general chat about the challenge. There is a separate thread here for registering your rides and points (also stickied). Post in this thread just once, and subsequently edit that one post each time you do a qualifying ride. Chatting here and logging rides on a different thread helps to keep that thread as tidy as possible.

{further note - I'm splitting up Colin's original thread to move all posts that appear to be only records of rides - but if anyone thinks I've moved a post that shouldn't have been, or not moved one that should, either PM me or just report the post that needs to be moved ...}
Spinney

Last edited by a moderator:

Fubar

Guru
Sounds a great idea @ColinJ giving another challenge option - sticky??

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Whhere do we post our rides? I might have a few bagged already this week :whistle:
I was thinking that participants would post below. PS There is now THIS THREAD in which to log rides.

If you are already doing the imperial or metric century challenge then you will not be doing this one, unless you fail to complete a century one month, in which case you could then drop down into this one as long as you got a half century in that month.

It doesn't take an awfully long time to build up to doing a 50 km/31 mile ride so I can't see much mileage (groan! :laugh:) in creating distance challenges below this level. Actually ... if health problems make 50 kms too much of a challenge, then maybe there could be a case for shorter challenges, but for healthy, uninjured riders I think 50 km is a good target to start with.

I think many people would start the year doing 50 km rides and step up to 50 milers later in the spring, maybe dropping back down to 50 kms if the weather turned nasty in November and December.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I was thinking that participants would post below.

If you are already doing the imperial or metric century challenge then you will not be doing this one, unless you fail to complete a century one month, in which case you could then drop down into this one as long as you got a half century in that month.

It doesn't take an awfully long time to build up to doing a 50 km/31 mile ride so I can't see much mileage (groan! :laugh:) in creating distance challenges below this level. Actually ... if health problems make 50 kms too much of a challenge, then maybe there could be a case for shorter challenges, but for healthy, uninjured riders I think 50 km is a good target to start with.

I think many people would start the year doing 50 km rides and step up to 50 milers later in the spring, maybe dropping back down to 50 kms if the weather turned nasty in November and December.

Spoil sport, I was looking at getting a clean sweep of shinies ^_^

Freds Dad

Veteran
I'll give it a go but like Mo1959 I'm waiting for the weather to improve.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am hoping to do the metric century challenge this year, but I suspect that something will nobble me as it did in 2012, 2013 and 2014 so my insurance policy will be to try and get a half century done in the first half of each month as a fall-back option.

It is easy to get the odd long ride in here and there, but doing it consistently throughout the year can be a different matter. I only had 31 miles/50 km to do after Christmas to reach my 2014 target but I was laid low by a nasty chest infection and failed to do it. It would have been really stupid to try, given that I was struggling to eat or get out of bed.

When you think about it, these challenges are not really about fitness. Once you have ridden a certain distance, you know that you could do it again. The challenge lies in trying to stay well enough, have the motivation to make the effort, and make sure you have enough free time to do the riding every month, no exceptions!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi I will give it a go ,the centuries are a bit out of my range as I have only been riding for 4 months . both half centuries my be within my abilities .One question if I do a 50 mile ride can you register for both or do they have to be separate rides?
Anyway 47 miles done today as one half metric century claimed
I am just making this up as we go along so there are no 'official' rules. Try and do 50 milers when you can, but 50 km rides will still count. Only one challenge ... I thought people might start on 50 km and step up to 50 milers later in the year.

If anybody wants to only do 50 mile or 50 km rides, go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom