The 2015 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sounds like one I could feasibly manage - nice one Colin!
I keep wondering about attempting the metric century a month, but I'd not manage it in the winter months.

@ColinJ - should this be split into a 'record of points' thread and a 'chatzone' thread as for the other two challenges? What do others think (take a look if you are not familiar - the one that is for records just has one post for each person - you edit your post to update when you have done another ride that earns points.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds like one I could feasibly manage - nice one Colin!
I keep wondering about attempting the metric century a month, but I'd not manage it in the winter months.
Know what you mean about winter riding - I'm struggling to get started this year! First put off by my Christmas lurgy, then by crazy winds, and now by icy conditions. I was all psyched up to go out this afternoon but a couple of badly timed phone calls, and some emails that needed responses delayed me to the point where I could no longer be bothered. I'll do a spin on my gym bike later instead.

Tomorrow looks like a reasonable candidate for a main road ride. My beloved hilly lanes will probably be too much of an ice risk for the next few days, so I will definitely steer clear of them!

@ColinJ - should this be split into a 'record of points' thread and a 'chatzone' thread as for the other two challenges? What do others think (take a look if you are not familiar - the one that is for records just has one post for each person - you edit your post to update when you have done another ride that earns points.
Yes, that makes sense. If you would like to do the splitting, that would be good - cheers!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire

KneesUp

Guru
Know what you mean about winter riding - I'm struggling to get started this year! First put off by my Christmas lurgy, then by crazy winds, and now by icy conditions.

I hear you - I keep thinking I'm over this lurgy so twice in the past seven days I've ridden home from work (lift in - don't want to go mad!) and twice I've come home with earache and snot all over my bike.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Tomorrow looks like a reasonable candidate for a main road ride. My beloved hilly lanes will probably be too much of an ice risk for the next few days, so I will definitely steer clear of them!
I did that main road ride this afternoon - REPORT HERE.

I will be trying to do at least one 50 km (31 mile) ride a month and also one 100 km ride, so I will be attempting both the half metric century and the full metric century challenges. The idea is to motivate me to do longer rides than I normally do, in between the metric centuries. My usual rides are either 19 mile or 23 mile loops. I do plenty of them, but often find it hard to work up the enthusiasm for longer solo rides. Events, forum rides, rides with mates ... no problem!

Ideally, by the end of the year I will have ridden 12+ metric centuries, 12+ half metric centuries, a lot of shorter rides, a smattering of imperial centuries, and a few double metric centuries - audax 200s.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Good job I got my ride in yesterday - it started snowing here yesterday evening and hasn't stopped since! It will be a few more days before I will ride again ...

MikeW-71

Veteran
even in thermal socks and winter boots?
I have thermal socks but no winter boots. I use my MTB shoes with some Shimano waterproof overshoes. That works for a while, but towards 2 hours and they are freezing. Especially my left foot for some reason. :sad:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have thermal socks but no winter boots. I use my MTB shoes with some Shimano waterproof overshoes. That works for a while, but towards 2 hours and they are freezing. Especially my left foot for some reason. :sad:

Get some Northwave, Shimano or Spesh winter boots. Against overshoes there is no contest. I wear Spesh Defrosters in the coldest of weathers with just normal socks. I have the warmest of tootsies.
OK, winter boots are expensive, but they are worth every penny and last a heck of a lot longer then over shoes.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Great idea Colin.

I think I will make mine themed half centuries. I have been intending to visit some of the war memorials in the area.

A Denmark coast to coast is less than 100 km. I will have to think of some, but thanks for the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom