The 2015 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I did a couple of imperial centuries last year, but this 50k a month challenge is more to my liking. (My energy levels - and thus my interest - start flagging after two-and-a-half hours.) I've managed to sneak in a couple so far (I did a thirty miler before I heard of the challenge and I'm being ultra scrupulous and not claiming it), and I might pop in another tomorrow. I generally post pics in My Ride Today and so I'll be putting in links from the main result thread for anyone interested in views of Suffolk. :smile:
Thanks for this @ColinJ :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did a couple of imperial centuries last year, but this 50k a month challenge is more to my liking. (My energy levels - and thus my interest - start flagging after two-and-a-half hours.) I've managed to sneak in a couple so far (I did a thirty miler before I heard of the challenge and I'm being ultra scrupulous and not claiming it), and I might pop in another tomorrow. I generally post pics in My Ride Today and so I'll be putting in links from the main result thread for anyone interested in views of Suffolk. :smile:
It struck me that 90% of my rides are on a small group of 19 & 23 mile routes. I wanted to come up with something that would encourage me (and others) to do longer rides more often.

When I am fit enough, on a sunny summer day, I am happy to ride all the hours of daylight. I have done that 4 or 5 times in the past. It is a different matter in the dark and cold of winter!

Katherine

Guru
This challenge is making me try to do more miles in one go, on my own, than I have done up till now. Today I did 28 miles instead of my usual 22. It was only my bladder that stopped me adding on a few more. I know that when I'm with a group and/or on an organised ride there are facilities. Do I start carrying a lock and risk stopping at petrol stations?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

This challenge is making me try to do more miles in one go, on my own, than I have done up till now. Today I did 28 miles instead of my usual 22. It was only my bladder that stopped me adding on a few more. I know that when I'm with a group and/or on an organised ride there are facilities. Do I start carrying a lock and risk stopping at petrol stations?
I know it is easier for men, but I prefer the behind bushes, hedges, or walls option. Forgive the pun, but I would be mightily p*ssed off if I came out and found that someone had chucked my bike in the back of a van and driven off with it!

BigAl68

Über Member
I had hoped to try for 50 miles on Friday but only managed 40 but I am enjoying the fact this challenge is making me plan longer trips than usual. It's going to be good to get the extra miles in as I have stupidly signed up for the 100 mile ride at eroica this year.

gavgav

Guru
I've managed to join, just in time, with a 50km ride today, and logged as required.

Hoping that I will get some 50 mile rides in, for entries, as the year goes on, but there will be plenty of 50km ones to keep me going to start with!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have a question.

Does this 50 km have to be done all at once or can I ride to work, finish my shift and then ride home?

Does it count?

Great idea Col. Fancied this as the full century is beyond my enthusiasm in winter. Last weekend intended to go out but couldn't be bothered, so just had a quick spin on the turbo and thought its ok, I'll do it this weekend. Well i'm stuffed already. Friday night I fell down the stairs and have a very sore and aching left side from bum to armpit. Cannot ride more than 5 minutes, very gently, on the flat. What an eejit!!
Good luck everyone and I look forward to reading your exploits.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have a question.

Does this 50 km have to be done all at once or can I ride to work, finish my shift and then ride home?

Does it count?
Since we are making this up as we go along ... The ride distance is the total of that done between getting up and the next time you go to bed!

And now some smart a*se will ask if cycling 25 km/miles during the day to jump into bed with his/her partner and then riding back afterwards counts - yes!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Great idea Col. Fancied this as the full century is beyond my enthusiasm in winter. Last weekend intended to go out but couldn't be bothered, so just had a quick spin on the turbo and thought its ok, I'll do it this weekend. Well i'm stuffed already. Friday night I fell down the stairs and have a very sore and aching left side from bum to armpit. Cannot ride more than 5 minutes, very gently, on the flat. What an eejit!!
Good luck everyone and I look forward to reading your exploits.
Ouch!

You still have 6 left, so let's you can recover enough to squeeze it in before the end of the month.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

What about someone else's partner? ^_^

I suppose thats ok as long asI post photos.
Hmm! :whistle:

I was going to say "between getting up in the morning and going to bed at night" but then realised that some people are working shifts.

Specifying a 24 hour period wouldn't work because you could (say) count an evening ride and another one the next morning.

It is no good mentioning sleep either - what if you doze off at the halfway cafe stop?

So - total distance in a 'day' where a day is as understood by most people.

Let's face it - this is only a bit of fun to encourage us to ride our bikes, so the exact rules don't matter!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hmm, I also thought I was being a bit sneaky putting an earlier ride up so when I saw that the computer was reading 28 miles this afternoon I overshot home to take it up to 32 miles.

thetribe

Über Member
I like the sound of this, I don't always have the time to do long rides but should manage a 50km ride each month easily (he says hopefully). Hopefully a round trip visit to my Mam for her birthday tomorrow should knock up my first one. :becool::bicycle::birthday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom