Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi all you 'Your Ride Today' posters, watchers and followers
Just a reminder, if you haven't seen already, there are a few mileage challenges running for 2015 on Cycle Chat.

There's the 2015 Imperial Century a month challenge
The 2015 Metric Century a month challenge
and now there's also the Half Century, 50km/50m a month challenge

So, join up and join in. Be good to see some new faces on each of the challenges for this year.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ahaa I saw you :hello:. Crazy man :laugh:

I saw someone and wondered if it was you, knowing you live on Chunal. In hindsight it was a bit crazy but I just had to get out. As the hill goes, it was less difficult than usual; almost no wind instead of the prevailing headwind. I managed more climbing in 16 miles than we will do in 97 miles to Llandudno! Next time you see me give me a shout

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Took the MTB ( fitted with new 'snow stud' tyres ) along the Railway path to Bitton this morning.
Stopped first at my local pub who are now doing breakfast's :thumbsup:

image.jpg

.... It was lovely 8-)
£3.49 inc free coffee refills !!!

Nice ride with quite a few cyclists enjoying the chilly & clear conditions.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Twinks

Über Member
I saw someone and wondered if it was you, knowing you live on Chunal. In hindsight it was a bit crazy but I just had to get out. As the hill goes, it was less difficult than usual; almost no wind instead of the prevailing headwind. I managed more climbing in 16 miles than we will do in 97 miles to Llandudno! Next time you see me give me a shout

I understand that feeling, I can't be cooped up with no exercise either. In fact Chunal was possibly the safest place to ride given that the gritters come down it from Chapel to grit the rest of the area including the Snake and Woodhead so it's usually gritted first and most often. If you hear someone shout next time you're wizzing past you know its me lol

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
A 15 mile amble to catch the sun and check whether I can still correctly gauge what to wear. (I can, but I sure could use something to keep my nose warm - and that is not a euphemism! ^_^)

Actually had a few flakes of snow - I believe winter might just be arriving in Suffolk.

The view towards Great Bealings. (It's just over that hill.)

First flakes of snow 002.JPG

There was a lovely, bright red tractor here a moment ago (just outside Culpho), but I decided I wasn't going to wait for it to return, even though it would have set the picture off really well. (Something to do with the cold? :whistle:)

First flakes of snow 003.JPG

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I finally got back on my bike! (I had done one ride since mid-December but the lurgy, gale force winds, and freezing weather kept putting me off doing more.)

Last week, I started a thread proposing a 'half century a month challenge' for those who didn't want to do a full century, or who didn't have the time, or maybe lacked the fitness. The thing is - I was in danger of not even getting my own half metric century in during January! I decided to prise myself away from my gas fire and out into the cold this afternoon to do a 50 km ride.

The ice danger was too great to risk minor roads so I settled for a main road route. Which was: Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd, Cragg Vale climb, Blackstone Edge, Littleborough, Todmorden, A646 up Cliviger Gorge to the Ram Inn, then I u-turned and rode back down to Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, and a loop round the block to get my distance up.

It was only just above freezing, and with the windchill, it were right parky out on the tops! :cold:

No messing about - I did 50.1 km. I would have skipped the last 100 metres but I needed to do them to get back into the warm. :laugh:

I tried to take some photos but the cold got to my phone camera! It kept giving me memory card errors, which have mysteriously stopped now that I am back indoors. Suffice to say that the snow-capped moors and the semi-iced-up reservoir looked very nice in the winter sunshine!

Unfortunately, I had set off a bit late and I was soon losing what little warmth the sun had been offering. I had a rear light on the bike, but no front. It was getting well into dusk when I got home so that was a bit naughty of me. I had lost the mount for my front light, but found it last night when searching for a screwdriver - I just didn't get round to fitting it!

In mid-ride, I was engrossed in calculations, trying to work out how far I would have to ride up the Burnley Road in order to get my 50 km in and that distracted me from the important task of preserving my own safety on the road. I got too close to some parked cars and one driver started to open his door just before I got there. Fortunately (for once!), the driver had his wits about him and spotted me, waiting for me to pass before opening the door more than an inch or two. It gave me a scare though. My mistake. (Strictly, the driver shouldn't have even started to open the door, but I'll let him off this time!)

I'm glad that I did the ride, but I didn't exactly enjoy the cold and the traffic. I'm looking forward to an ice-melting rise in temperatures so I can safely venture back onto my hilly local lanes.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After finishing w*rk at midninghtish, it was my day off today. I was hoping for a fairly long ride, but the roads, at -2 to -3, were just too icy locally so it was down to the trusty Hardtail to see me over the local tracks and fields.

Initially it was quite 'clean' as all the mud and puddles were solid.

aDSC_0346.JPG

I wasn't sure if I should leave my bike leant here for long as the tree seems to be eating metal stuff!

aDSC_0354.JPG

Once the temperature rose a bit, some of the bridleways across the fields were getting rather mucky, and in a few places, unrideable. I couldn't even get through Whiston Ford as it was running too deep. I did check first, luckily, and it was a good 18" in the middle and about 20' across.. (OK in the summer when it's warm, but not when the temperature is hovering around the zero mark :cold: :laugh:)
Luckily there's a track around the ford, and a bridge a bit further upstream so I could avoid it. I did wash the wheels a bit though, and got a pointy stick to unclag the bits and pieces before carrying on.

aDSC_0365.JPG

This old stone tunnel is behind Jigsaw Lake, so named as it's shaped like a piece of a jigsaw. Part of the old flood channels before the Environment Agency took over the area I suppose.

DSC_0359.JPG

As posted in another thread, it did get rather mucky. By the time I got home, I was indistinguishable from the bike!
Fortunately, the hosepipe had thawed out, the washing machine was working and the shower was as scalding hot as the tea.... :becool:

https://www.strava.com/activities/243622030

:smile:

MikeW-71

Veteran
A road ride on the MTB today. Since we will be spending lots of time together on the C2C, we needed to get to know each other a lot better, and I had new grips and a Charge Spoon to test out.

It was barely 0C when I set off, my target was 10 miles away, but it was pretty much uphill all the way. With knobblies on, it's a bit slower going than on the road bike, but there was enough ice around to have made me very nervous on the road bike. I did say hi to one roadie, who was taking it very easy.

16138833358_88f3631ce2_c.jpg

In a change to my normal plan I walked over the railway bridge from Wetheral to take a short cut, then it was up the lesser used (and rather mucky) roads to finally end up at my target.

16324609541_b9247ca9e9_c.jpg

Arrived at Talkin Tarn with my fingers and toes freezing, but otherwise feeling good. The new wheels have made it way better at climbing on the road, the new fork being a bit lighter doesn't hurt either, and everything was still comfy. Looks like a thumbs up for this saddle, which is one less thing I will need to spend money on :biggrin:

15703977664_d2afb08086_c.jpg

The Tarn itself was frozen! But the tea room was open and a large coffee was very welcome indeed while I let my feet thaw out a bit. I reckon this will become a regular stop of mine from now on :thumbsup:

Then it was back to visit my Parents, downhill all the way YAY! Another coffee and a little lunch and there was just the 5 miles back home to do.

Nice day out. :becool:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
3.6 miles today. The shortest ride you'll ever see me writing about. Last time out I clattered to the ground on a patch of ice, and I had to test both the bike and myself to make sure we are going to be OK for my audax on Saturday. Rode out to Hempsted, mostly on a cycle path, so that I could try out gear changing under stress on the little hill on the way up to Hempsted Church. Everything was fine with the bike. I was a little creaky. Still a few bumps and yellow bruises and feeling a little sore in the hip and the shoulder, but I reckon I'll be alright to go. Donger's back in the game.
Careful out there, everybody.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom