Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's not the Olympic route, you didn't pass my road nor overtake a mid-40s bloke on a Diverge - trust me, you would have overtaken me yesterday :laugh:

It was the Olympic route from Putney all the way to Box Hill (only 2 climbs) , then instead of heading back through Leatherhead, Oxshott and Esher we went back via the Chipstead Valley to SE London.

Simontm

Veteran
It was the Olympic route from Putney all the way to Box Hill (only 2 climbs) , then instead of heading back through Leatherhead, Oxshott and Esher we went back via the Chipstead Valley to SE London.
Just as well, a lot out yesterday and Saturday, you may have hit a traffic jam!

I went Kingston, Richmond, Kew then back via Twickenham, Hampton, Bushy Park, Home Park. Nice little ride for a late afternoon.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just as well, a lot out yesterday and Saturday, you may have hit a traffic jam!

I went Kingston, Richmond, Kew then back via Twickenham, Hampton, Bushy Park, Home Park. Nice little ride for a late afternoon.

It was very busy cyclist wise, not bad considering the weather.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Well, that was very nearly an expensive decision to go for a ride, today.
When I first got into this lark, I wasted spent £50 on a lightweight Montane jacket that was supposedly waterproof, but has turned out only to be useful in that it crumples up into a small bag and cuts the wind-chill. After yesterday's blown 100km ride, I went to put it on this morning and the pathetic plastic zip finally did what it has threatened to do ever since I bought it and it broke. (I have since achieved some sort of bodge repair. :whistle:)
So, only a short 13.5 mile spin out to Levington, where I did a detour to go look at the yachts in the sun to cheer myself up.

Buggered Montane 001.JPG

The River Orwell :-

Buggered Montane 003.JPG

Approaching cold stuff.

Buggered Montane 004.JPG

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
Sunny but very windy here today. Clear blue sky. I decided to take my old Dawes Mean Street off the chocks and see how she rides now. I haven't used her for about 4 years. She rode very well, smooth and fast. Rode just over 18km. The brakes need some serious adjustment. The main problem is that the XT Deore rapidfire trigger shifters are giving up the ghost. Very imprecise on the rhs. The lhs is ok for 1st and 2nd but needs to be pushed 180 degrees round to catch for 3rd. When there it is OK and it clicks down to the middle ring fine too but it's a bit of a pain. So I shall spend a bit of time and give her some TLC over the next few days. I may have to replace the trigger shifters though. See my post for info on replacements in the components forum....

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
With a freshly cleaned bike, the afternoon off work & some winter sunshine it would have been rude not to go out for at least a little ride. :smile:

So with no particular plan I set off south across the flatter part of the New Forest towards Beaulieu where I can turn & take a couple of different routes. Given the lack of wind I headed west & up to Brockenhurst before continuing through one of my favourite parts of the forest at Rhinefield with its giant Redwood & pine trees before returning home through Lyndhurst giving a nice leisurely 27 mile round trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/243219084

012.JPG
013.JPG
011.JPG

The New Forest at Rhinefield Ornamental Drive.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Day off today but busy with a few things to do, plus its bloomin cold, plus I struggle in the winter, plus.....plus...
No, sod it, stop making excuses. Ive got to go to the hospital, don't go by car, get the bike out, its only 5 miles away.
So, a utility ride on the Trek hybrid, no rush through country parks and cyclepaths bordering railway lines, from the hospital into town for some shopping, then back home.
Probably 15 miles...no biggie but quite satisfying.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Going stir crazy and pulled over by the rozzers......

Saturday turned out to be a decent day but the forecast for Glossop was snow, snow and more snow. It finally came Saturday night and Sunday was impossible. Come Monday and I was itching to get out but the back roads would have been impossible. Have to stick to the main roads. So in a moment of madness I decided to ride up and down Chunal (a local hard hill) four times. It's 2.5km long and averages 5% but the first half average is 9% and maxes out at 11%.

It snowed...again....but the road surface was fine. It's a 45mph descent but discretion today kept me down to less than 35.

On the second descent I saw a police car going the other way. About half way down it passed me...it must have turned round. I went round a bend and it was parked up by the road, maybe they were checking something? The policeman got out when I was about 200m away.....and started flagging me down. What did he want? It was a bit dull and snowy. Was he going to tell me I should be using lights? Was he going to tell me I shouldn't descend at 35mph in a snow shower? No. He saw me near the top and thought I was someone he knew so turned round, passed me and then flagged me down to say hello.

Only 16 miles today but a thigh-stinging 2.400ft of climbing. 12.5mph. Nice to get out

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom