Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Got out again today after mass and the shopping, 4.5 miles in the bright sunshine, only snow is what is left in the ditches(for now) and the temps are moderate, between 4 and 6C. Absolutely glorious weather for this time of year. Pretty good, short ride, considering I did not feel like going out today.
Those are always the days you wind up doing well.

Katherine

Guru
I thought I wasn't going to get a ride today thinking that mist and ice would not be a good combination. Then after lunch and a snow shower, the sun came out, hooray! Uh oh, visitors. Finally set off at half three with lights and reflectives, managing 15 miles, sticking to main roads which is frustrating getting caught at lights and negotiating roundabouts. I had to stop at 2 sets of temporary lights half way up a hill which was tricky, especially as the road became a single carriageway so there was no room for cars to pass and I couldn't go on the path because of the ice. Glad I went anyway. Altogether it was a 90 minute ride time in 2 hours, must be one of my worst!

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I managed a precarious 21 miles yesterday. I turned back from a few of my usual roads as the cycle lanes were either slush covered or the roads themselves were slush covered. I'm happy i went out though as i see it as a challenge in such conditions. I had a near miss when a black cat darted straight across my path! I saw it at the last second,if i hadn't touched the brake i'd have gone over it. I cursed its stupidity(how did it not see me in high viz and lights:whistle:)but was glad i didn't hurt it.:thumbsup:

maltloaf

Well it had to happen some time. Had my first crash of the year near the end of this ride, exactly one week before my first audax of the year... exactly as I did last year, only one week short of a year ago and only half a mile away from the exact same spot where I had my last fall.

The Kingsway CC had its best ever turn-out of 26 riders today, despite the icy conditions, so we split into two groups. A "fast" group and a "try to stay on your bike group", which I naturallly gravitated towards. There had already been 4 falls just getting to the start, so it was always going to be interesting. We were all heading up Upton Hill again today, which made my efforts midweek pretty pointless - though at least I now knew I would make it up in one go. The "fast" group of 14 riders headed off first through the estate - at about 1mph on the ice. I led the other group out the long way onto the Bristol Road, determined to take the safest route possible, staying on main roads as much as we could.

Was pleased to get up Upton Hill in 8th place of the 12 in our group, and enjoyed a nice scenic, easy paced ride through Painswick and Stroud to the canalside cafe at Saul Marina where we stopped to thaw out and consume cake... lots of cake. Then came the winding country lanes through Elmore towards the Pilot Bridge at Hardwicke. Even though it was a few degrees above zero and the sun had been shining for hours, we managed to find all the dark spots where the ice had still not melted. First Lisa had a spill when her rear wheel just went from under her without warning. She was OK, and got straight back on. Then it was my turn. Just before we got back to the main roads near the Pilot Bridge at Hardwicke, I took my eye off the road for a second or two for the first time in over 30 miles, at the sight of an ambulance with blue flashing lights and an upside down car in the hedge..... and over I went on a patch of black ice with a crash and a nasty slide on my side. I brought down Des behind me too, and we were lucky to avoid a multi-bike pile-up.

Two things I learned from this .... (1) Never lose concentration even for a second in icy conditions like these. A second is all it takes. (2) Whilst I would defend the right of free speech of the anti-helmet brigade ("Je suis Charlie" etc), thank goodness I didn't let them pursuade me not to wear mine today. The side of my head hit the ground with a mighty crack when I went over, but I'm as right as rain.... a walking advert for cycle helmets. Nothing worse than a sore hip and a bruised ego.

So, although we never met up again with the fast group today, we still know of at least 7 crashes on the ice .... over a quarter of the field went down today! Now I just have the small matter of 2 x 100km audaxes in the next 2 weeks in these conditions to attempt to keep up with the Century a Month Challenge. Ah well, What could possibly go wrong? Another 35 miles done today.
Be safe, everyone. Cheers. Donger.
I honestly thought our group had made it round, we were only a couple of miles from home but as we waited in the Pilot car park for you lot increasingly worried as time went on, we wondered if there had been an incident. Really glad everyone was OK, Lisa's bruise and road rash looked sore.

I really enjoyed today's ride. Very sociable and a very rewarding climb up Upton hill but I must admit as I mentioned to you on our way through Stroud, that i wish we had turned left for a bash at Selsley Hill as well.

Glad everyone is mostly unscathed. Here's to next time and good luck in your audax rides mate.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I only had time for a quick tootle into town today to do a bit of banking and pick up a bit of shopping.

DSC_0350.JPG

DSC_0353.JPG

I did have time to grab a coffee at The Outpost café by the Skatepark.... I didn't have the time to pop wheelies, get any air, or show of my other skills though :laugh:

Bit old for that malarkey now anyway... The kids there are unbelievable once they get going! Even jumping gaps on micro-scooters.

I know what'd happen if I tried that :cycle:

Never mind, back home along the Washlands bike path and home on 15 miles.
Off to w*rk now.. Boooo

https://www.strava.com/activities/243148016

:smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just a shortie today, but a shortie is better than no ride at all. 1st ride since that 32 miler the sunday before yesterday. I just rode down to Earlham fiveways, along Bluebell and then up Colney Lane a bit, and then down to the cyclepath that runs next to the A11 but against the traffic (there is a fence between the cycleway and the duel carriageway).
From there, I crossed Roundhouse Road to get to the correct side and rode to the hospital along it before joining back up with Colney Lane again and down to the hospital. I rode past Hubster to the end of the car park road and back as I'd have been stopping at under 5 miles and that is just not on.
5.27 in 25 minutes or so so around a 12.4mph average which was fine by me. My legs felt great and I could have carried on but Hubster was waiting for me and I had to go to work for half an hour today. Home now and just about defrosted. The roads were fine once I was on the bus routes, they are gritted really well, unlike our home road which I crept along not even clipped in, just in case like.

potsy

Rambler
Couldn't work out why my left leg was cold today despite wearing my fleecy tights, think I've now got to the bottom of it :rolleyes:

20150119_135655(1).jpg

Stupid strap on my frame bag must have been rubbing them every time I've been out, wouldn't mind but they were new a few months ago and have been worn no more than 10 times :sad:

Cold out there, had fun splashing through some icy puddles on the trail, now I'm mainly covered in mud, oh well.

20150119_135639(1).jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Couldn't work out why my left leg was cold today despite wearing my fleecy tights, think I've now got to the bottom of it :rolleyes:

View attachment 77370

Stupid strap on my frame bag must have been rubbing them every time I've been out, wouldn't mind but they were new a few months ago and have been worn no more than 10 times :sad:

Cold out there, had fun splashing through some icy puddles on the trail, now I'm mainly covered in mud, oh well.

View attachment 77372
I've had the same kind of problem myself. I put a rear light on my bike and noticed that something was catching my leg in a similar position. It was the tab on the mount for the light. I got some gaffa tape and wrapped it tightly round the tab to hold it in out of harm's way. It looks a mess, but it fixed the problem.

Simontm

Veteran
A mucky day out today with @ianrauk , @rb58 , and @Mista Preston on the 2012 Olympic road race route. It's a terrific route that takes in the best of SW London's suburbia, Richmond and Bushy Parks, some fine Surrey countryside, and over Box Hill.
Alas, I didn't make it that far. My fitness is way off what it was 6 months ago, and struggling to keep up just didn't seem fair on the others, so I bailed at Dorking, 46½ miles in.
Two flats, many thanks for the help in fixing those two! I will ensure in future I carry more than one spare tube - the road conditions today just weren't fair on tyres.
Nevertheless a great day out. Thank you all!

That's not the Olympic route, you didn't pass my road nor overtake a mid-40s bloke on a Diverge - trust me, you would have overtaken me yesterday :laugh:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I was not looking forward to todays ride. The cars were heavily frosted at 9pm last night so I figured I was in for an icy start. I was surprised to find no frosted cars this morning, and it almost felt warm in the low sunshine that appeared. I'd been looking at routes to get me to Box Hill, Leith Hill or Newlands Corner, but soon discovered it was out of my current 'comfort range', with a round trip of 40+ miles. On the plus side, my searching on here found a nice route courtesy of @Stonechat which I shall look at when it warms up a bit, and I gain a bit more confidence.
Headed out Chobham way, then new territory for me through Horsell Village (nothing to do with a wrong turn either:whistle:). Found myself in Woking, and rather than follow the A320 opted to turn into Woodham Road for a few miles, then a bit of A320 before hopping across to Ottershaw and home. A nice route, and now I've scoped it on the CX next time out will be on the roadie.
A big 33.9 miles for me today, my best since my op in October so well pleased with that:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom