The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Jan 30 / 31.35 miles / 50.45 km / 2178' ascent / 11.8 mph

Home > Kendal > Natland > Levens > Brigsteer > Crossthwaite > Levens > Kendal > Home

1 point for the month.

Got this done with one day to spare. Only my second ride of the year - I did a sopping wet 18 on Tuesday this week.

A cold day and very windy which really affected my average speed - I'm ignoring my post-Xmas half stone of chub for the purpose of excuses. :smile:

Got showered on twice and had a dose of hailstones which made a heck of a noise on my helmet and the road was very slithery for a while. A few of the climbs (none were overly long or mega steep) were tough going with the wind in my face.

Quite chuffed with myself as, although I did a reasonable number of rides over this distance in 2016, I would not have got out today if not for The Challenge. I'm a fair weather cyclist at heart - I only went out in the rain on Tuesday as prep' for this ride. Similarly, I could've easily made a no ride excuse out of my poorly elbow (mountain incident earlier in the month). :laugh:

One thing I did notice was that you end up 'clock watching' when you are trying to achieve a specific distance and by Christ did the miles climb slowly esp' the last 6 or 7. I need to think of a way round this for the rest of the year. Maybe mount my Edge upside down. :rolleyes:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Got out this morning and got another 54.4km ride in, but by heck was it cold.
It was actually colder when I got back than it was when I set off and that headwind had to be experienced to be believed.:bicycle::cold:
Quite pleased that i stuck it out and got the distance in, as it would have been easy to cut it short. But how would it have felt once I'd warmed up to have 'only' done 45km..? :banghead:

13 rider

Guru
Got out this morning and got another 54.4km ride in, but by heck was it cold.
It was actually colder when I got back than it was when I set off and that headwind had to be experienced to be believed.:bicycle::cold:
Quite pleased that i stuck it out and got the distance in, as it would have been easy to cut it short. But how would it have felt once I'd warmed up to have 'only' done 45km..? :banghead:
I see you have caught the half century disease ,no longer can you ride for 20 + miles it has to be 31.3 I suffered this last year .this challenge does get you upping the miles .

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I see your caught the half century disease ,no longer can you ride for 20 + miles it has to be 31.3 I suffered this last year .this challenge does get you upping the miles .

Oh yes - I could have taken the easy option through Thorner from Bramham which is more direct - I'd still have had the headwind to contend with, but it's quite a bit more sheltered and a good few miles shorter.
But that would never do would it? :laugh:

13 rider

Guru
31st January, 50.16 km. Hull, Beverley, Cherry Burton, Leconfield and return loop with a couple of laps of our estate to make up the distance. Thought I was going to fail at the first hurdle and not get a qualifying ride in the first month having been off the bike ill. Let's hope it starts getting easier next month!

Running total, 1 point.
Left that late ! Welcome to the challenge.

Gert Lush

Missed it :sad:

Was ill for two weeks with a bad chest cough and as soon as that went I've come down with a cold. I did try for one but had a funny episode at 8 miles so abandoned. But oh well, not the end of the world :smile:

13 rider

Guru
Last year I did a separate 50km and 50m ride each month just as an extra challenge and the plan was to do the same this year. I have complicated it further by entering the metric century challenge as well so this months long ride has been used it that challenge and not believing in using a ride in two challenges I was a 50 miler short .So last chance today and managed it got out this afternoon being chased by fading light so had to press on but managed it so all three challenges still on course

13 rider

Guru
Missed it :sad:

Was ill for two weeks with a bad chest cough and as soon as that went I've come down with a cold. I did try for one but had a funny episode at 8 miles so abandoned. But oh well, not the end of the world :smile:
That's bad luck mate . You can still join any time for a challenge but obviously you need Jan to Dec rides to complete .

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Cold night ride with Basildon Cycling group 38.8 m 28th Jan
https://www.strava.com/activities/480714970
Soggy ride with Essex Roads 72,8 m 31st Jan, 1 fall 1 puncture not me !!
https://www.strava.com/activities/482746874
4 points - 27 Points total

I doubt I'll get 27 points for the whole year.
So, has anyone counted how many people are in this challenge? There seem to be loads :okay::smile::bicycle:

@Katherine

Shall we start with your post & everyone who is 'in' just copies, pastes & adds their name? I was thinking the same question too - would be nice to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom