The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting one today. Uploaded a new 73km route into the Garmin that was going to take me miles away from anywhere I knew and just followed the little arrows.
20km in I got a double puncture (it was snowy and chilly too) and used up both of my tubes...so what to do? Turn back or press on into the unknown? Decided that wherever I got the next visit from the fairy I'd need a taxi anyway so pressed on.

In hindsight that was a bit daft because about 10km of the route turned out to be along a towpath away from roads so it would have been a long and slushy walk if I'd had an issue there. However when I finally did get the inevitable flat it was at the top of the last hill just 1km (all downhill) from home. Slow and very careful riding got me back...just. (A bit annoying because I fancied tacking on another 10km at the end and getting the imperial half too.) Bulk order of tubes and tyres now made.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
So far zero rides in 2016. Just two weekends left to get my first 50 in. January last year I did 140 miles so I am a bit 'down' on my annual mileage already. Cest la vie.

First week of the new year I slipped in the mountains (despite wearing crampons) and bashed my elbow. No major damage, hospital X-ray revealed nothing, but it was in a sling for several days and still hurts a fair bit.

Then this weekend I had a migraine (I have maybe 3/4 a year) and whilst the pain is not as intense as some people have I feel flattened for several days afterwards with a strange light-headed feeling and am good for nothing. Everything aches and I feel listless.

On top of that we had a kitchen 'disaster' that revolved around an incompetent jerk of a plumber that cost me a couple of days to sort out. Grrrrr! I wish him harm.

So - that's the whinging done. :laugh:

More positively: unless it snows (we had a few inches at the weekend) or is sub-zero I am out for my January 50 this weekend. The plan is to scoff some Ibuprofen tab's, slap some Ibuprofen gel on my elbow, lightly strap it up, scoff some banana on toast and off I toddle.

Here's hoping. :bicycle:

Katherine

Guru
So far zero rides in 2016. Just two weekends left to get my first 50 in. January last year I did 140 miles so I am a bit 'down' on my annual mileage already. Cest la vie.

First week of the new year I slipped in the mountains (despite wearing crampons) and bashed my elbow. No major damage, hospital X-ray revealed nothing, but it was in a sling for several days and still hurts a fair bit.

Then this weekend I had a migraine (I have maybe 3/4 a year) and whilst the pain is not as intense as some people have I feel flattened for several days afterwards with a strange light-headed feeling and am good for nothing. Everything aches and I feel listless.

On top of that we had a kitchen 'disaster' that revolved around an incompetent jerk of a plumber that cost me a couple of days to sort out. Grrrrr! I wish him harm.

More positively: unless it snows (we had a few inches at the weekend) or is sub-zero I am out for my January 50 this weekend. The plan is to scoff some Ibuprofen tab's, slap some Ibuprofen gel on my elbow, lightly strap it up, scoff some banana on toast and off I toddle.

Good luck and hope you have an enjoyable ride. :bicycle:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

Good luck - Saturday is looking quite promising, weather wise. A good day for a ride (fingers crossed) :okay:

Definitely, good luck for the weekend. Looks promising!

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger

Good luck from me too :thumbsup:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I got my second 50km (57.4km) ride in today and have some observations.

The maximum temperature all day was -5 degrees and in the places were the wind was blowing it was closer to -9. I have the right gear and was warm all the way round except for my right big toe which was like a block of ice when I finished. After a hot shower it was almost back to normal.

I have ridden shorter distances in much colder temperatures but this was a sustained effort and it was bloody cold. The last few kms I was starting to bonk and that is because it is a bit of a rigmarole stopping somewhere warmish, at -5 you start getting cold immediately. Then you have to get your gloves off, sort the flask and snacks out etc. I dont do gels. Its all a bit of a faff, But it is really important that you do it.

My first 50km this year was on January 1st and then today in -5 degrees. It looks like all my 50kms this year are going to be a bit different.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I finally got a decent ride in - I did 51 km or 32 of your imperial miles this afternoon.

The forecast was for a miserable start to the day but that the rain would eventually stop, then the mist and fog would clear and we would see some sunshine later on. Conditions would be mild and the wind would be fairly strong, but from a SW direction so not too chilly. They got it spot on!

The ride was sandwiched between the poor weather and sunset. I could have gone up and down the main road and got it done in daylight, but I decided to make it a bit more interesting by adding some hills and country lanes. As a result, my average speed was lower and I spent about 20 minutes riding back in the dark in evening traffic. Not too bad, but not really my thing. I could have got out 30 minutes earlier if I hadn't decided to have one more mug of tea before setting off. Next time I will be waiting ready to go when the weather improves.

I had only ridden 14 miles in the month leading up to today. I had a bad cold after Christmas and I had put a few extra pounds on so I was expecting to find the ride quite hard work. It was not as bad as I expected, though I have lost a lot of fitness since Christmas.

So, time to get stuck in! I am 317 miles down on my target for this stage of the year and it will take a month or two to claw that back.

I hope to get a couple of 100 km rides in before the end of January so I will be watching out for a two suitable dry days.

mike3121

I still haven't been on a ride at all yet this year.
I have not been to well and working shifts dosent help, also my hybrid being out of action dosent help.
Picked my hybrid up from the LBS yesterday it was in to get wobbly back wheel fixed a service and mud gaurds fitted,
I only have this Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday to get my 1st 50k of the year in!!!!!
wish me luck

Katherine

Guru
I still haven't been on a ride at all yet this year.
I have not been to well and working shifts dosent help, also my hybrid being out of action dosent help.
Picked my hybrid up from the LBS yesterday it was in to get wobbly back wheel fixed a service and mud gaurds fitted,
I only have this Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday to get my 1st 50k of the year in!!!!!
wish me luck
I definitely wish you luck, with the bike, the weather and the miles, and hope you enjoy your ride.

Katherine

Guru
Well, I finally got a decent ride in - I did 51 km or 32 of your imperial miles this afternoon.

The forecast was for a miserable start to the day but that the rain would eventually stop, then the mist and fog would clear and we would see some sunshine later on. Conditions would be mild and the wind would be fairly strong, but from a SW direction so not too chilly. They got it spot on!

The ride was sandwiched between the poor weather and sunset. I could have gone up and down the main road and got it done in daylight, but I decided to make it a bit more interesting by adding some hills and country lanes. As a result, my average speed was lower and I spent about 20 minutes riding back in the dark in evening traffic. Not too bad, but not really my thing. I could have got out 30 minutes earlier if I hadn't decided to have one more mug of tea before setting off. Next time I will be waiting ready to go when the weather improves.

I had only ridden 14 miles in the month leading up to today. I had a bad cold after Christmas and I had put a few extra pounds on so I was expecting to find the ride quite hard work. It was not as bad as I expected, though I have lost a lot of fitness since Christmas.

So, time to get stuck in! I am 317 miles down on my target for this stage of the year and it will take a month or two to claw that back.

I hope to get a couple of 100 km rides in before the end of January so I will be watching out for a two suitable dry days.
Well done!! You're off January's starting block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom