The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ok, even though 2015 isn't finished yet, here's a suggestion for those who did the challenge in 2015 ... Your main challenge in 2016 will still be to do one or more 50 km+ rides a month throughout 2016. If you would like a secondary challenge, compete against your own points tally for 2015 and try to exceed that in 2016. (1 point for a 50 km ride, 2 points for a 50 mile ride, 3 points for a 100 km ride, 4 points for any ride of 100 or more miles.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oh, and here is a question ... there has been discussion on the century challenge threads about whether a ride can be counted in more than one challenge simultaneously. Let's put aside what decisions were made in those challenge threads ...

My suggestion is that if you want to count a longer ride in THIS challenge then it should NOT have already been included in longer ones.

My thinking is that if you rode an imperial century every month, you would automatically have completed the metric century and half century challenges but you would have only done one challenge ride a month so why should it be counted 3 times?

I completed the metric century and half metric century challenges this year by doing at least one longer ride and at least one shorter ride per month.

I suppose it depends on how you regard these challenges. I use them to motivate me to do longer rides, and there would not be much motivation to do a 50 km ride if a 100 km ride on the first of the month had already 'ticked that box'.

What do you all think?

Katherine

Guru
Oh, and here is a question ... there has been discussion on the century challenge threads about whether a ride can be counted in more than one challenge simultaneously. Let's put aside what decisions were made in those challenge threads ...

My suggestion is that if you want to count a longer ride in THIS challenge then it should NOT have already been included in longer ones.

My thinking is that if you rode an imperial century every month, you would automatically have completed the metric century and half century challenges but you would have only done one challenge ride a month so why should it be counted 3 times?

I completed the metric century and half metric century challenges this year by doing at least one longer ride and at least one shorter ride per month.

I suppose it depends on how you regard these challenges. I use them to motivate me to do longer rides, and there would not be much motivation to do a 50 km ride if a 100 km ride on the first of the month had already 'ticked that box'.

What do you all think?

I agree, but as you said, if anyone has to bow out of one of the longer challenges, they can then use their rides for a half century.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

What do you all think?

Makes sense to me.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hopefully it won't be raining on New Years Day!

For a not overly motivated person I am pretty excited about this. :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hopefully it won't be raining on New Years Day!

For a not overly motivated person I am pretty excited about this. :smile:
Or snowing/hailing/blowing a gale! :laugh:

I am stepping up my challenges next year so my aim is to get my longer rides in at the start of each month where possible, and to be able to relax more later in each month clocking up '50s'.

If I lived in a country with a reliable warm, sunny climate then I would have a serious go an imperial century a month, or maybe even the slightly mad RRtY!

It would be handy if could ride more quickly or lived somewhere flatter. Doing long winter rides round here usually almost forces me to stick to busy valley roads to avoid ice and long spells riding in the dark.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Why not add the AAA round the year to your collection for 2016 too, Colin?
Hmm, maybe ... :whistle:

... NOT! :laugh:

Truth is, I haven't ridden many audax events since about 2010. I am still a member and like reading the mags but have been sticking to doing just a few local events a year. AAA in UK winters ... :eek:

It didn't escape my notice that you and a few others were much more consistent than me in getting 100 km rides in this year and that encourages me to have a go at doing 2 a month in 2016.

I'm still dithering, but I am considering a late winter cycling holiday on the Costa Blanca to get some long rides in - very much spurred on by posts in THIS THREAD!. :sun:

I used to do about 1,200 km (750 miles) on my 2-week training camp hols there in the past (in March) and I usually only rode 12 or 13 days, so potentially I could get 10+ metric century rides done in the 2 weeks. (It might sound a lot to some people but when the weather is good, all your food is prepared for you and all you have to do is eat/ride/sleep, it is a lot easier than doing it in 'real life' here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom