The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll delete my post :whistle:
I once had an attractive young woman in a pub ask me a very personal question which got me tongue-tied. I stammered a reply and she barked back "Oo the f**k are you - I'm talking to my boyfriend." He was standing just behind me, cracking up! :blush:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ahhhh.... but where you are, anything not actively flat will probably be AAA, and you can do it on DIY permanents, so that means that most of your 50s and 100s will qualify, making it not quite as bad as it sounds (notwithstanding current horrible winds and near-permanent rain, that is).
I can't really be bothered with the 'paperwork' - I'll stick to doing lumpy rides when the weather is okay and flatter ones when it isn't! :okay:

Effyb4

Veteran
I will give it a try. I'm hoping to do a metric half century on New Years Day, weather permitting.

I'm in.

I was gonna go for the 50km a month but most of my club rides are normally in excess of 30 miles so I'm gonna step up and sign up for the imperial half. I will log the others though so that I have some points to beat next year. Hope that is OK

EDIT: Are these rides meant to be non stop 50 miles like in a TT effort or are they more real world for example ride 6 miles to the club run do a 20 mile ride to the cake stop and then 20 miles back then another 6 home would that count as one ride of 52 miles or 4 separate rides?

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Oh, and here is a question ... there has been discussion on the century challenge threads about whether a ride can be counted in more than one challenge simultaneously. Let's put aside what decisions were made in those challenge threads ...

My suggestion is that if you want to count a longer ride in THIS challenge then it should NOT have already been included in longer ones.

My thinking is that if you rode an imperial century every month, you would automatically have completed the metric century and half century challenges but you would have only done one challenge ride a month so why should it be counted 3 times?

I completed the metric century and half metric century challenges this year by doing at least one longer ride and at least one shorter ride per month.

I suppose it depends on how you regard these challenges. I use them to motivate me to do longer rides, and there would not be much motivation to do a 50 km ride if a 100 km ride on the first of the month had already 'ticked that box'.

What do you all think?
I know this is specifically about the 50 challenge, but I'll be incredibly rude and obtuse and ignore that bit.

I'm planning the imperial challenge next year. There's a significant risk of failure, and so I'll probably also be entering my rides in the metric one too, as a fallback.

Now, if I was really brave I would wave bye bye to the metric one, nail my colours to the imperial mast and that would give me more motivation to succeed. But I'm being a bit of a coward.

These same arguments apply to someone doing, as you did this year, the 50 and 100k challenges, so I'm not totally off topic.

I really like your approach above. It's very brave and honest and it maximises the motivational potential of the challenges. In my case I don't think I'm either brave or honest enough.

13 rider

Guru
I'm in.

I was gonna go for the 50km a month but most of my club rides are normally in excess of 30 miles so I'm gonna step up and sign up for the imperial half. I will log the others though so that I have some points to beat next year. Hope that is OK

EDIT: Are these rides meant to be non stop 50 miles like in a TT effort or are they more real world for example ride 6 miles to the club run do a 20 mile ride to the cake stop and then 20 miles back then another 6 home would that count as one ride of 52 miles or 4 separate rides?
Rules are in the 2016 challenge thread . but Dosn't have be 50 km /miles non stop cafe stopped are allowed and encouraged . It's pretty relaxed if you think it should count then its in . Really your only challenging yourself so you decided if it counts

Last edited:
The above notwithstanding, I'm gonna disregard my 40 mile days to get to work unless I'm desperate unless I do a 50 for one of the legs.

13 rider

Guru
The above notwithstanding, I'm gonna disregard my 40 mile days to get to work unless I'm desperate unless I do a 50 for one of the legs.
Technically these rides would count as Its within 24 hours . but like you if its 20 miles each way then work I wouldn't count it either . As stated above your challenge yourself so you decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom