The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I`m thinking of ditching the roadie this weekend and doing a 50 km on the mtb. There are lots of trails on my back door with Hicks Lodge just a couple of miles up the road.
It`ll be slow (3+ hours I reckon), but my mtb could be my "get out of jail free card" in the Winter months :bicycle:

I know what you mean - I could use the hybrid with it's chunkier treaded tyres and accept a slower ride mainly off road (local bridleways and then a section of NCN R66 - hope it's frozen enough to get me across the boggy bits), but I haven't used it in nearly two months and I'm not sure it's talking to me...;)

Plus we're due snow on Sunday morning, so I'd definitely have to use the hybrid then and that would mean two days on the trot! :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have you all realised you can now edit your posts in this forum - so in the ride logging thread you can have all your rides together in one post.
It's not a requirement, just thought I'd point it out - I like being able to see all my qualifying rides in one place!
So do I, but I also like to see the most recent ride posts last in the thread (normal forum style). I achieve that by copying my previous ride post, appending any new ride details, and then posting the updated version.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Normally, that would not be a good idea because people might have replied to what was posted, but chatting about rides takes place in the sister (brother?) thread so it would be ok. That sounds like the ideal solution, not that we have thousands of people taking part, nor a shortage of space! :okay:

Buck

Guru
I'm chickening out of an outside ride today/this weekend but here's the question - if I ride a 50k on my Zwift/Turbo Trainer set up does that count?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Have you all realised you can now edit your posts in this forum - so in the ride logging thread you can have all your rides together in one post.
It's not a requirement, just thought I'd point it out - I like being able to see all my qualifying rides in one place!
We really should follow the 'imperial century' rules and post accordingly. I did at the start of last years challenge, so guess I should continue..

Edit:- And have just edited my post accordingly:smile:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Normally, that would not be a good idea because people might have replied to what was posted, but chatting about rides takes place in the sister (brother?) thread so it would be ok. That sounds like the ideal solution, not that we have thousands of people taking part, nor a shortage of space! :okay:
sibling thread doesn't quite sound right, does it?

Katherine

Guru
Finally got my 50km ride in for this month. It's half way through and I'd got nowhere near 50km over the last 2 weeks so very chuffed to have done it today. Very glad of the nobbly tyres on my CX bike. Very glad indeed. It was a bit brisk out there today.
Well done. It was too cold for me to stay out for long today.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Well done. It was too cold for me to stay out for long today.
I popped back home after 18 miles, drank a nice hot choc and put my feet on the rad for 5 minutes while Hubster changed my rear light batteries out. I took my zippy cycling top off, put a fleece on and then my NightVision as I knew it would be dark when I would be coming back in. Bulkier but warm, I could feel the temperature dropping and it didn't start off overly high.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I popped back home after 18 miles, drank a nice hot choc and put my feet on the rad for 5 minutes while Hubster changed my rear light batteries out. I took my zippy cycling top off, put a fleece on and then my NightVision as I knew it would be dark when I would be coming back in. Bulkier but warm, I could feel the temperature dropping and it didn't start off overly high.
That's the way to do it. Have to confess I stopped at home briefly for a cuppa on my Thursday 50, mainly because I'm tight and refuse to pay £2 for a coffee when I'm only a few miles from my own house and kettle!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
That's the way to do it. Have to confess I stopped at home briefly for a cuppa on my Thursday 50, mainly because I'm tight and refuse to pay £2 for a coffee when I'm only a few miles from my own house and kettle!
The thing with living on a peninsular is that there are only so many roads out of the narrow bit, until you get to a fatter bit where you have more scope to explore. I am going to look at new routes tomorrow, if this lovely sunshine holds. Avoiding the A14 is key, as you can imagine. Might pop up to Ipswich tomorrow and see if I can get our Teresa to stick the kettle on. She'll be a good place to turn around at (Just realised that I make Teresa sound like a roundabout :laugh: good job she's not a cyclist)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom