The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Got the all important imperial half in today, meaning I'm keeping my run of a metric and an imperial half in each month going...so far!

To be honest it was blooming hard work at times, especially the first and last ten miles. The last ten I can understand, but it seems to be taking me an age to get into the groove the last month or so. Times and average speeds still look the same, it just feels tough.

Anyhow, moaning over, it was a good ride in decent cycling weather for the time of year - dry, just a light breeze although temperature are on the slide now. First outing for the bib tights and full gloves in a long while. I don't think it will be the last! :tongue:

Reports to follow in the usual places.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
@ColinJ What time did you go out for your ride? I did the last part of my charity leg yesterday and passed through your neck of the woods, though probably quite late on for you (3.45pm ish?)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ What time did you go out for your ride? I did the last part of my charity leg yesterday and passed through your neck of the woods, though probably quite late on for you (3.45pm ish?)
I was quite late going out because my ride was timed to meet my sisters at the cafe at Hollingworth Lake. They stopped to walk the dog round the 'lake' (reservoir) there on their way back to the Midlands after a few days up here.

It would have been about that time when I was heading back into Todmorden. Do you think you spotted me? I was riding my red Cannondale.

Katherine

Guru
Today was going to be the best chance for a metric ton and I was going to do some more miles after leading the club ride but I started with a stitch and had to come straight back. I even had to push the bike for a while as I just couldn't go fast enough to go round a roundabout in traffic. I'd done 48 miles when I got home and couldn't even make it up to 50! I might get another chance in half term.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I was quite late going out because my ride was timed to meet my sisters at the cafe at Hollingworth Lake. They stopped to walk the dog round the 'lake' (reservoir) there on their way back to the Midlands after a few days up here.

It would have been about that time when I was heading back into Todmorden. Do you think you spotted me? I was riding my red Cannondale.

I passed a few cyclists heading the other way ( I was on the A646 / A6033 / A58 heading from Burnley to Rochdale) but didn't notice too much the bikes they were riding, always gave a nod though. I was on my silver Cannondale, wearing a red thick gilet over a cancer research shirt, in case you were paying more attention!

After doing 3 80-90 mile rides in 9 days I was just thankful the big hills either side stayed either side and I rode thru them!

Today was going to be the best chance for a metric ton and I was going to do some more miles after leading the club ride but I started with a stitch and had to come straight back. I even had to push the bike for a while as I just couldn't go fast enough to go round a roundabout in traffic. I'd done 48 miles when I got home and couldn't even make it up to 50! I might get another chance in half term.

Ouch, no fun at all. Any idea what brought it on?

I was going for a metric ton too but after a couple of hours of drinking roadwater I took a shortcut home. I can now certify that my waterproof socks can indeed reliably hold vast amounts of water!! :rain:

Katherine

Guru
Ouch, no fun at all. Any idea what brought it on?
No idea and I felt very uncomfortable for the rest of the day. After half an hour doubled up on the floor, I managed to go out and lock up the bike but the poor thing is still waiting to be cleaned!
I was going for a metric ton too but after a couple of hours of drinking roadwater I took a shortcut home. I can now certify that my waterproof socks can indeed reliably hold vast amounts of water!! :rain:
!! You need overshoes as well.

No idea and I felt very uncomfortable for the rest of the day. After half an hour doubled up on the floor, I managed to go out and lock up the bike but the poor thing is still waiting to be cleaned!

!! You need overshoes as well.

That sounds odd, had that before?

Alas I had overshoes but it all just got overwhelmed and once in of course the water stayed there!

Katherine

Guru
That sounds odd, had that before?

Alas I had overshoes but it all just got overwhelmed and once in of course the water stayed there!
I haven't had a stitch on the bike before but I have had exercise induced nausea before but only when I've over done it. Yetserday was quite an easy pace so no idea.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was a bit impressed that I got a ride in this month. Firstly I haven't had the inclination really, weather has been either wet or windy and when it wasn't I was sorting out a new puppy, after my old Millie-dog passed away, so not going out much while he was settling in (and eating every item of footwear in sight). For the next 2 weeks, I am at work. Today is my day off, my next one is the 31st October and I don't want to take the risk that the weather will be half reasonable. Having got this far, I don't want to drop out of the 2016 challenge really. My works is open for 2 weeks before we close on the 30th October. 9 days of the next couple of weeks will see me dressed as a zombie and being in a 'scare zone' so leaping out and going 'RARRR' on people having a guided tour of said scare zone. They pay me for this :smile: Who knew that being a zombie was even a job?

Anyway, I stuck to the trail today, on my roadie as it's got Gatorskins on, as the wind was a bit interesting with gusts of up to 27mph. The trail is quite sheltered from Wadebridge to Wenfordbridge and back. Not so sheltered on the way up to Padstow though. I was in little ring at one point as the wind came straight off the estuary. Whizzed home though, which was rather lovely. I am not really fit enough to do hills at the moment, having hardly ridden over the summer. Running about at work has taken it's toll on my inclination to get on the bike. Once home and having walked the dogs, I just wanted to curl up with a cold beer and a bit of pizza. I'm hoping to work on some hill fitness from November to February.

I had better go and shower the bike off, most of the Camel Trail is stuck to the bottom on my poor Planet X.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I don't know exactly because it is a gift from my cousin. He has bought himself a better one and is giving me his old one. I know it is a Tacx and it is a fairly basic model. My sister has it in her car and will be bringing it up next week. From what I remember, it looks a bit like this one ...

View attachment 146700
My sister dropped the turbo trainer off a couple of days ago. The one i the picture IS the correct one, a Tacx Satori. It isn't the new 'smart' version, but I knew that it would not be. (My cousin surprised me by donating this TT just before I came home from my Scottish holiday, and I reckon that he has probably upgraded to a smart turbo trainer. He wanted his old one to go to a good home.)

I set it up this evening while my meal was cooking and gave it a quick blast. I was pretty impressed with it. TTs that I have used in the past tended to be noisy and/or a bit lacking in top-end resistance. This one did not seem too noisy and could be adjusted to give enough resistance that I could simulate climbing a fairly steep hill and pedal standing up.

I will probably start doing a few TT sessions a week now that the weather is often making outdoor riding less appealing.

I have ended up with one too many bikes so I am going to dedicate one to TT duties. In future it will be where my semi-worn tyres go to die! I don't like throwing tyres away when there is still a bit of wear left in them, but I don't want to risk doing long rides on them. TTs wear tyres out quite quickly so it will be an ideal way of using up the last 25% of tyre thickness. I have 3 or 4 lying around so they should just about last me until Spring 2017 when my road riding will pick up again.

I was a bit impressed that I got a ride in this month. Firstly I haven't had the inclination really, weather has been either wet or windy and when it wasn't I was sorting out a new puppy, after my old Millie-dog passed away, so not going out much while he was settling in (and eating every item of footwear in sight). For the next 2 weeks, I am at work. Today is my day off, my next one is the 31st October and I don't want to take the risk that the weather will be half reasonable. Having got this far, I don't want to drop out of the 2016 challenge really. My works is open for 2 weeks before we close on the 30th October. 9 days of the next couple of weeks will see me dressed as a zombie and being in a 'scare zone' so leaping out and going 'RARRR' on people having a guided tour of said scare zone. They pay me for this :smile: Who knew that being a zombie was even a job?

Anyway, I stuck to the trail today, on my roadie as it's got Gatorskins on, as the wind was a bit interesting with gusts of up to 27mph. The trail is quite sheltered from Wadebridge to Wenfordbridge and back. Not so sheltered on the way up to Padstow though. I was in little ring at one point as the wind came straight off the estuary. Whizzed home though, which was rather lovely. I am not really fit enough to do hills at the moment, having hardly ridden over the summer. Running about at work has taken it's toll on my inclination to get on the bike. Once home and having walked the dogs, I just wanted to curl up with a cold beer and a bit of pizza. I'm hoping to work on some hill fitness from November to February.

I had better go and shower the bike off, most of the Camel Trail is stuck to the bottom on my poor Planet X.
Sounds great Saluki...though I really think we need to see 'Zombie on a bike' and get you to ride back from work! :bravo:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm sorry I don't understand !?! :crazy:
I like all of my bikes to have different uses. I bought a cyclocross bike but haven't ridden it much. I am going to put mudguards and a rack on it and use it as my general purpose, bad weather, and winter bike. That would then be taking over the role of the former winter bike, so I'll use that on the turbo trainer.

I hadn't allowed for the fact that the TT raises the bike about 1.5 inches from the floor and lost my balance when dismounting from it last night, causing the TT to tip over! Fortunately there was a kitchen work surface nearby for me to grab hold of or I would have ended up taking a heavy fall.

I have now made a small wooden platform to stand on when mounting and dismounting the TT. That is a lot better but I think I will keep the TT in range of the worktop just in case.

It's a grotty wet afternoon here so I think I will give the turbo trainer a proper test when I get back from a trip to the shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom