The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kapelmuur

Veteran
A 57 mile ride today around the flat Cheshire lanes, I was aiming for 100km, but got a puncture, I took the tyre off at the side of the road and my finger soon found a very sharp fine glass needle in the underside of the tyre, ouch......................

A tip I was given by a mechanic when I bought my first road bike was to protect your finger with your glove when feeling for the sharp item that caused the puncture.

PS - As I'm riding in the same area tomorrow I should have asked where you collected the glass.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A tip I was given by a mechanic when I bought my first road bike was to protect your finger with your glove when feeling for the sharp item that caused the puncture.

PS - As I'm riding in the same area tomorrow I should have asked where you collected the glass.
Blimey, you've got it easy over there in Cheshire if you can identify the one place where is glass ...

If somebody asked me if I had seen any glass on my rides, I would say "Yes - throughout West Yorkshire and Lancashire"! :okay:

I have noticed that it always seems worse just after the local recycling vehicle has done its rounds. Glass is either falling out of the containers on the truck, or falling out of the household containers on their way to and from the truck.

13 rider

Guru
Hello all, permission to sneak back in, from my last post I had made it to March, but work got a bit shonky and Mrs S had a few health problems so I didn't post any rides up. Hopefully these will still count (even if they don't it was still great fun and will give it another go next year.)

Plus. (There are a few more but these are the memorable ones)

April

May 1 and May 2

June

July

August

September

October

Hopefully nothing else comes up and will get Nov/Dec posted as I do them.
Welcome back @ShooglyDougie :hello: if you say they count they count :okay:

GuyBoden

Guru
Easy flat Cheshire 40 miler today, spoke to an old man in Rostherne, who was lost and looking for Middle Earth, hope he found his way home.........
RosthMere.jpg

Attachments

• RosthMere.jpg
    RosthMere.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 41

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Well, maybe my cycling legs are making a comeback...

Did another qualifying ride yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it, even with an unforecast "shower" that lasted about two miles :rolleyes: and best of all I felt pretty good on the final few miles run in rather than feeling like I was on my chinstrap like I have done for the last few weeks. Whatever, it felt good. :okay:

Reports in the usual places.

stoke100a.jpg
Beautiful misty autumnal ride today. Not particularly quick as my legs were pretty dead after 10 hours of walking around yesterday! Did a mixture of some old favourites and found a couple of 'new' hills including Britwell and one that started at 7% and finished at 23%.. must revisit that one when I'm fresher.

Attachments

• stoke100c.jpg
    stoke100c.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

View attachment 149701 Beautiful misty autumnal ride today ...
It's amazing how differently people can experience the same thing ... I absolutely hate murky, misty conditions like that!

I suffer from S.A.D. and days like that feel me with gloom. I have spent 30 years living in steep-sided northern valleys which often get those conditions from October until March. If I can't have blue skies and warm sunshine then give me blue skies and frost!

I really ought to move nearer to the equator or at least take winter holidays somewhere sunny.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Only 2 months to go. Really been struggling to find the time to get my rides in, been doing loads of short commutes mind, so the miles are ticking along.
Just about to start a run of 3 days off, so plan to get the metric half in this week. Like a few others, considering having a go at the metric century next year. I'm not finding 31 miles riding as much of a challenge now, only the time factor..

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I was scuppered on the metric century challenge this year by illness and bad weather in January. I may have another go in 2017 if that doesn't happen again.

If I could get fit enough to do an imperial century in January daylight hours then I would have a go at the imperial century a month challenge but I suspect that that is not going to happen!

I was scuppered on the metric century challenge this year by illness and bad weather in January. I may have another go in 2017 if that doesn't happen again.

If I could get fit enough to do an imperial century in January daylight hours then I would have a go at the imperial century a month challenge but I suspect that that is not going to happen!

Yes, daylight time is a real issue for an Imperial century challenge...that and getting up at 7am on a cold weekend morning!

It's amazing how differently people can experience the same thing ... I absolutely hate murky, misty conditions like that!

I suffer from S.A.D. and days like that feel me with gloom. I have spent 30 years living in steep-sided northern valleys which often get those conditions from October until March. If I can't have blue skies and warm sunshine then give me blue skies and frost!

I really ought to move nearer to the equator or at least take winter holidays somewhere sunny.

Blue skies are certainly preferable but I'm not so sure about the frost. Some of the more obscure climbs around here have plenty of moss & leaves on the road, add a harsh frost and they're treacherous up or down!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Blue skies are certainly preferable but I'm not so sure about the frost. Some of the more obscure climbs around here have plenty of moss & leaves on the road, add a harsh frost and they're treacherous up or down!
It is lovely here today - blue skies and well over 15 degrees. I must try and get out soon to make the most of it!

I am careful to avoid slippery roads these days after a few near misses in the past. I avoid some of my favourite roads when road conditions are iffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom