The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Just managed my half century (imperial) today for the month, but only just. Was planning to do a route that was nearer sixty miles, but got a puncture five miles in. Glad to say I managed to change the tube successfully at the side of the road by myself - that might not seem that big deal to most on here, but to me (being absolutely useless with all things manual or mechanical) that's a major achievement! But unfortunately that delay, plus a little detour when I got slightly lost after a road closure diversion, then put me up against the clock with regard to the sun setting - while I do have lights, they're not exactly dazzling, so I normally try to get home before it even approaches darkness.

I decided to cut out about an 8 mile loop from my route and following another couple of little shortcuts, I estimated that I should be able to get home with just under 51 miles done and comfortably before the official sunset time (though admittedly there's still probably enough light for at least 15/20 minutes more riding after that), but hadn't taken into account the headwind I'd be riding home into. Eventually made it home about 5 minutes post-sunset with 51.47 miles on my Garmin feeling thoroughly knackered, but happy with the ride nonetheless. I'll log the ride in the main thread at the end of the month with all my others as I usually do.

Katherine

Guru
I was hoping to get a metric century done today. I led the 40 mile social ride from Chorlton, add in the 9 miles each way to get to the start and I would have only needed to do another 4 miles. Unfortunately 2 different people got punctures on the way back and the group split up before the end. I got home about 5.15 so I just wouldn't have had time to do more, settling for 52 miles.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
No, you are right Jon. It was there at the beginning of last year :O)
This response has really made me laugh. Thanks! :okay:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After a weather delayed start I ran out of time to try for an imperial half, so had to settle for a metric half - not only the same route as last weekends metric half, but exactly the same distance too - what are the odds on that? Mind you, thanks to an unkind headwind on the return half of the route the time was a bit slower.
It's looking a bit iffy for me getting an imperial half in now this month which is a bit vexing. :sad:
Tomorrow looks positively grim weather-wise, so I'm going to have to cross everything and hope that next weekend pans out, as it would be nice to keep the run of metric and imperial half centuries in each month going.

To be fair, time has largely been the restricting factor on rides this year and I can't see that changing anytime soon. I can comfortably do a 50km ride in well under 3 hours including a stop, but a for a 50+ miler I'm well over 4 hours. I guess I need to get faster / stop less often! ;)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Glad I got my half century done at the beginning of Nov, because today I rode (very slowly!) into the back of a car and fell off. Some of you may remember another self-inflicted sprain earlier in the year!

Most important thing first - the bike is fine ! But I've sprained my thumb and at the moment (given that typing this is both uncomfortable and awkward) I doubt I'll be doing anything significant on the bike for the rest of this month.

Queue of traffic just starting up when some dickhead pulls onto the road a few cars ahead. The car ahead of me stopped faster than I did. I have to say the people in the car were brilliant, real stars! They weren't bothered at all about the scratch to the boot, checked I was OK. I was feeling a little dizzy (shock - my head didn't hit anything) so they stuck my bike in the back of their car and he drove me the 8 miles home while she did the shopping. And it was completely my fault.

(interesting how difficult it is to use the space bar with my left thumb instead of my right!!)

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Glad I got my half century done at the beginning of Nov, because today I rode (very slowly!) into the back of a car and fell off. Some of you may remember another self-inflicted sprain earlier in the year!

Most important thing first - the bike is fine ! But I've sprained my thumb and at the moment (given that typing this is both uncomfortable and awkward) I doubt I'll be doing anything significant on the bike for the rest of this month.

Queue of traffic just starting up when some dickhead pulls onto the road a few cars ahead. The car ahead of me stopped faster than I did. I have to say the people in the car were brilliant, real stars! They weren't bothered at all about the scratch to the boot, checked I was OK. I was feeling a little dizzy (shock - my head didn't hit anything) so they stuck my bike in the back of their car and he drove me the 8 miles home while she did the shopping. And it was completely my fault.

(interesting how difficult it is to use the space bar with my left thumb instead of my right!!)

Sorry to hear that @Spinney :B) glad you`re ok :thumbsup:

Hope you get fit and ready for Decembers 50 :okay:

Katherine

Guru

Agh!! Sorry to hear that. Glad you are ok. Hope the thumb mends soon.

13 rider

Guru

Gws soon
What nice people you chose to bump into ,I imagine most motorists not being so understanding to say the least
Hope your back in for Dec there not many of us going for the second year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom