The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
I know I'm a bit late (by six months!) to query the scoring system and maybe this is something that I should hold off until the 2017 thread goes up, but being a particularily sad stats obsessed geek, I'd like to suggest an amendment to the scores. I think there's too big a gap between the metric century and the imperial century for it just to count as one point extra - I feel you should get 5 points for 100 miles (all other points to remain the same).

The way I see it is that 31.07 miles gets you 1 point, 50 miles gets you 2 pts (= 25 miles per point), 62.14 gets you 3 (20.71 miles per pt), but if it's 100 for 4, that puts it back up at 25mpp again. 5 points would make it 20mpp, keeping it on a downward trend, rewarding you more for what you're riding.

And before anyone asks, no, this will not benefit me in any way! I've actually yet to do a 100 mile ride - the nearest I came was last year at RideLondon, when I did 92.86 miles (due to the Leith Hill diversion), so all my previous scores would stay exactly the same, no matter how many points a century ride was worth!

I do like your logic but the points system does reflect the way I often ride. If I'm going for more than 63 miles, I'll often go for the ton but my motivation is 50km, then can I get to 50miles, 100km, 100 miles.

13 rider

Guru
I know I'm a bit late (by six months!) to query the scoring system and maybe this is something that I should hold off until the 2017 thread goes up, but being a particularily sad stats obsessed geek, I'd like to suggest an amendment to the scores. I think there's too big a gap between the metric century and the imperial century for it just to count as one point extra - I feel you should get 5 points for 100 miles (all other points to remain the same).

The way I see it is that 31.07 miles gets you 1 point, 50 miles gets you 2 pts (= 25 miles per point), 62.14 gets you 3 (20.71 miles per pt), but if it's 100 for 4, that puts it back up at 25mpp again. 5 points would make it 20mpp, keeping it on a downward trend, rewarding you more for what you're riding.

And before anyone asks, no, this will not benefit me in any way! I've actually yet to do a 100 mile ride - the nearest I came was last year at RideLondon, when I did 92.86 miles (due to the Leith Hill diversion), so all my previous scores would stay exactly the same, no matter how many points a century ride was worth!
Can see your logic but the points are just a sideline and its not a competion just an incentive to do some miles

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Can see your logic but the points are just a sideline and its not a competion just an incentive to do some miles

And that's the great thing about this challenge.

As one of the lower scoring participants I would feel pretty demotivated if it was.

I just see this, my first year, as setting a baseline for me to reference against in subsequent years when it becomes me vs me!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Phew! Managed 32 miles today, a whole month after my last one. My last was in Holland, when I was on holiday with my sister - so done on a hired sit-up-and-beg Dutch bike with three gears (but as there were no hills, this was fine!).
Then the next day, walking to our next hotel with large rucksac on back and small one on front (and not looking properly where I was going either) I put one foot partway off a kerb, fell over and sprained my ankle. Managed to hobble around the remaining things we wanted to see in Holland, and it became walk-able on fairly quickly, but it's only in the last week that my ankle has unstiffened enough to try riding.
But no more excuses now...

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I went out yesterday, having not felt 100% all week but thinking I could get another qualifying ride in if I took it steady.
Got to Wetherby and felt so ropey that I turned round and headed back for home, clocking up 27.88 miles in total - the thought of going the extra 0.12 of a mile to round it up to 28 miles seemed an effort too far, let alone another 5 miles to get a metric half in!
It's the first time this year I've baled on a half century ride and it's genuinely gutting.
Woke up this morning after an early night feeling no better, so haven't even been out today. :cry:

Roll on next weekend, hopefully :scratch:

13 rider

Guru
I went out yesterday, having not felt 100% all week but thinking I could get another qualifying ride in if I took it steady.
Got to Wetherby and felt so ropey that I turned round and headed back for home, clocking up 27.88 miles in total - the thought of going the extra 0.12 of a mile to round it up to 28 miles seemed an effort too far, let alone another 5 miles to get a metric half in!
It's the first time this year I've baled on a half century ride and it's genuinely gutting.
Woke up this morning after an early night feeling no better, so haven't even been out today. :cry:

You oblivious caught the 50 km disease where you can't go out and ride less than 50 km this challenge does that too you . Don't beat yourself up you've got more than one ride in this month get yourself right and start a fresh in June :okay:

SpokeyDokey

You oblivious caught the 50 km disease where you can't go out and ride less than 50 km this challenge does that too you . Don't beat yourself up you've got more than one ride in this month get yourself right and start a fresh in June :okay:

Agreed - it can paralyse me. I get in a dither "have I got time to squeeze this in" where 'in' is a free time slot sandwiched between various other things going on in my life.

I can waste almost as much time in dither mode than the ride would take. :laugh:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
You oblivious caught the 50 km disease where you can't go out and ride less than 50 km this challenge does that too you

So true :laugh:

Hope you feel better soon, @NorthernDave :hugs:

SpokeyDokey

@NorthernDave

Sorry to hear that - as you say: next weekend!

I have a similar-ish tale for today.

Set off for a pretty hilly 40 miler where I was going to try for 100'/mile ascent (I've done the latter but over much shorter distances) which would be a bit of a push for me but...

...at 17 miles I breathed in some sort of flying bug that got lodged at the back of my throat. No amount of deliberate hacking coughing or gargling with my Zero 5 would shift the swine. Went back home the short way and did 23 miles at 88'/mile and eventually managed to get the bug out with lots of repeated gargling with tap water.

So...

Bug 1 50k Challenge Nil. :laugh:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
@NorthernDave
...at 17 miles I breathed in some sort of flying bug that got lodged at the back of my throat. No amount of deliberate hacking coughing or gargling with my Zero 5 would shift the swine. Went back home the short way and did 23 miles at 88'/mile and eventually managed to get the bug out with lots of repeated gargling with tap water.
So...
Bug 1 50k Challenge Nil. :laugh:

You've got to love those pesky flying things haven't you? :rolleyes:
There seem to be an awful lot of them about this year...xx(

SpokeyDokey

You've got to love those pesky flying things haven't you? :rolleyes:
There seem to be an awful lot of them about this year...xx(

Yes, there were loads today. Mostly battering my glasses and helmet but this one little sod got past my lips, teeth and tongue. Hope it had a speedy death though.

Quite an eventful ride today - I was whizzing down a wide left-hand hill and as the bend unscrolled there was a low hanging branch (probably broken by a passing lorry or something) that I couldn't avoid. It gave my Bell Something-or-other helmet an almighty whack. When I got home there was a bit of leaf and twig wedged in one of the ventilation slots.

Cycling... at times interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom