The 2016 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Yes, beautiful sunny day for the last day of Oct, set off early for a 100km ride to Gawsworth and was even back in time for tea...............

1074031.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, beautiful sunny day for the last day of Oct, set off early for a 100km ride to Gawsworth and was even back in time for tea...............

1074031.jpg
Very nice!

I did get a ride in but I was not able to get out until 14:45 and started to run out of daylight so I did a shorter ride than I would have liked to do. It would have been nice to get 50 kms in but I settled for 29 kms.

I had lights on the bike, but doing very steep descents in the dark by a low powered LED front light is not my thing. Also, the temperature fell 5 or 6 degrees very quickly once the sun dipped below the horizon and I started to feel cold.

13 rider

Guru
Scores on the doors 30 riders are fully posted up ,2 riders yet to post rides for October and 1 rider who's not posted since March has reappeared and posted rides for the missing months .
Well done everyone keep on :bicycle:
Apologies rechecked 29 riders in 3 not posted rides for Oct

SteveF

Not been out for a while, have gone over to the dark side a little over the last month or so, running, tend to do a bit in the winter as I'm a bit of a fair weather cyclist... anyhow, got November's in early only one to go!!

GuyBoden

Guru
50km wet ride to Flittogate lane and back. I was a bit damp, so I'll be using my winter bike with mudguards from now on, unless, it's a very sunny day.

Flittogate Lane was the venue for some of Cheshire cycling events in the past, including my uncle Alan Boden's third in the National Time Trial 100miler 1968. ( Sorry, I may have mentioned him before, he was my inspiration when I was a young rider.)

pits.jpg

A556-A530 King Street Roundabout further on from Flittogate Lane.

kapelmuur

Veteran
50km wet ride to Flittogate lane and back. I was a bit damp, so I'll be using my winter bike with mudguards from now on, unless, it's a very sunny day.

Flittogate Lane was the venue for some of Cheshire cycling events in the past, including my uncle Alan Boden's third in the National Time Trial 100miler 1968. ( Sorry, I may have mentioned him before, he was my inspiration when I was a young rider.)

pits.jpg

A556-A530 King Street Roundabout further on from Flittogate Lane.

Do you actually ride on the A556? If so you're very brave (or foolish!)

GuyBoden

Guru
Do you actually ride on the A556? If so you're very brave (or foolish!)
Yes, I ride on the A556, but only by necessity, and only on short straight sections (no roundabouts). Usual routes are Linnards lane near Pickmere to Plumley Moor Road near Plumley. Chapel Road near Bucklow Hill is closed for the rest of this year due to road works, so I occasionally use a short section of the A556 and cycle to Millington Lane.

You will be glad to know that the A556 dual carriageway is being reverted back to a single lane next year, hopefully opened by March, when the new link road between the M56 and M6 will be completed. Maybe then, cycling on the A556 will be a more pleasant experience. Even the old cycling time trials could take place again.

pits.jpg

1968 National Time Trails Cheshire

Edit: Another easy flat 36 mile ride today 7th Nov, no frost , no hills.

Last edited:

kapelmuur

Veteran
@GuyBoden I use Chapel Lane regularly, it's been closed a couple of times this year but only for a week, I didn't know the current closure was for so long.

While it's closed and I want to ride to High Legh and beyond I use the A50 from Knutsford and turn left to Hoo Green Lane (opposite The Kilton pub).

There's no way I'd ride on the A556, too many HGVs at top speed. The A50 is wider and quieter.

I have gone from Plumley Moor Road to Linnards Lane, but using the footpath!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Finally squeezed in a metric half yesterday, which I think is the latest I've left it in a month to get a qualifying ride in (so far...).
After a week off the bike and longer since my last decent ride it was hard work at times, especially the last mile or two, but I'm glad I ground it out now. Clearly I need to find a way to keep my fitness up but it's getting increasingly difficult to squeeze anything in midweek (not just bike rides)

Really want to get an imperial half as well this month to keep that run going, so fingers crossed for the next two weekends.:okay:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom