The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Artists Lane, every time I ride up it I'm slower. Getting to the stage where I could walk up it faster.
Yes, walking might be faster for me too, I've got a 22T ring on my front triple, so I'm very, very slow, but no rush, I'm enjoying the ride. I tried Mow Cop this week, walked a bit and then gave up..

I see that the new link road is open between the M56 and M6. The A556 is quieter and they're converting it to single lane......

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A local pal is back from his winter in Texas. He called round in today's sunny conditions and together we did a favourite local loop which starts with a gentle warm-up on the A646 towards Burnley (undulating but gradually uphill), and finishes with a nice downhill back along the same road in the other direction. In between we tackled a scenic rollercoaster of a route, with some short steep climbs and several much longer, easier ones. Nearly 1,000 metres of climbing crammed into just 56 km of road.

Highlights of the ride: The sunshine, the scenery, and my slowly improving fitness.

Lowlights: (1) A psychotic idiot driver who overtook us at 80+ kph (50+ mph) about 60 cm from my right elbow. It was on a quick downhill section of narrow road and wind noise prevented either of us hearing the car approach. I know that it was lunacy rather than stupidity because the driver immediately cut back in front of me and gave me 'the finger' as the car shot off into the distance. (2) A second close pass startled my pal. I suspect that the driver of that car was merely an idiot. He didn't show signs of deliberately trying to kill my friend, just a lack of awareness of how poor his driving was ...

kapelmuur

Veteran
Yes, walking might be faster for me too, I've got a 22T ring on my front triple, so I'm very, very slow, but no rush, I'm enjoying the ride. I tried Mow Cop this week, walked a bit and then gave up..

I see that the new link road is open between the M56 and M6. The A556 is quieter and they're converting it to single lane......

I struggle on anything over about 12%, so I wouldn't even attempt Mow Cop.

The new link road has made it easier and safer to get from Tatton Park towards High Legh, I like the route from Rostherne over the new bridge at Millington Lane.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Rode the 'short' Vélo 29 York - Leeds - York Sportive* today, bagging 65.3km / 40.58 miles, so that's another half century in the bag. :okay:
That headwind was a killer though - it reached 20mph at times and due to the route we had it in our faces for pretty much all the outbound section of the loop, plus some extra bits just for fun. It was good when it was finally behind us, but those bits seemed few and far between. At least it was about as flat a ride as you can do in Yorkshire, with just 1,177ft of climbing.
And for a change we got finished just before the forecast rain reached us - I can only imagine how grim it was for anyone doing the 'long' course up through Harewood into the Washburn Valley and beyond...there are some big hills out that way on a wet and windy day :rain:

A full report will appear in the 'Your ride today' thread at some point.

* - visits Leeds postcodes, but not really Leeds, if you know what I mean...;)

50k today and an unplanned lunch stop at Nice Pies, no scones but a lovely bit of sponge cake and the regulation (for me) tuna sandwich. Only disappointment was seeing the new red velvet cake that was finished as I was leaving....was tempted to stay longer!

Last 15 miles heading back were horrid into that wind and probably put pay to me going to a 50mi ride. Still, it was good fun overall.

kapelmuur

Veteran
Came off the bike a couple of weeks ago, really hurt my wrist and knee. Still hurts to ride. I've got 12 days to get back on and get a 32 miler in or I'm out! I can do it...
Nightmare! Get well soon.

Rode the 'short' Vélo 29 York - Leeds - York Sportive* today, bagging 65.3km / 40.58 miles, so that's another half century in the bag. :okay:
That headwind was a killer though - it reached 20mph at times and due to the route we had it in our faces for pretty much all the outbound section of the loop, plus some extra bits just for fun. It was good when it was finally behind us, but those bits seemed few and far between. At least it was about as flat a ride as you can do in Yorkshire, with just 1,177ft of climbing.
And for a change we got finished just before the forecast rain reached us - I can only imagine how grim it was for anyone doing the 'long' course up through Harewood into the Washburn Valley and beyond...there are some big hills out that way on a wet and windy day :rain:

A full report will appear in the 'Your ride today' thread at some point.

* - visits Leeds postcodes, but not really Leeds, if you know what I mean...;)

Windy down here too this weekend. Sustained 20+ mph all day Sunday with gusts up to 40+. At one point I was in the 'right' gearing for a 6% gradient...on the flat. <1200ft in Yorkshire?? How on earth did you manage that?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Where I've so far tried to get each month's qualifying ride in early, for multiple reasons I've now achieved nothing at all in March. Not a position I want to be in, it now puts pressure on for next weekend being all or nothing.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Windy down here too this weekend. Sustained 20+ mph all day Sunday with gusts up to 40+. At one point I was in the 'right' gearing for a 6% gradient...on the flat. <1200ft in Yorkshire?? How on earth did you manage that?

The Vale of York is surprisingly flat - in a couple of weeks I'm doing the Vale Vélo that starts at the same place but heads in the opposite direction into the Wolds. That's got nearly 4,000ft of climbing! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom