The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Then you think another 28miles and thats 200km . Let's face it @Domus your doomed

It's not that bad

(its only 24 and a bit miles extra) :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Then you think another 28miles and thats 200km . Let's face it @Domus your doomed
And then you realise that it is only another 30 or so kms to ride from Todmorden to Coventry ... :whistle:

(I intend to ride there and back on 2 days in June but I got a bit of a reality check today when I rode less than half the distance and less than half the climbing and felt pretty tired at the end.)

Renmurew

Veteran
Completed my first 100k Audax of the year today - and my first ever multiple point ride - and what a scorcher of a day it was. Definitely was a day for suntan lotion today.

The weather today could not have been better and after registering at the cafe at Asda in Forfar, it was onto the bike and off towards Perth Airfield taking in some lovely quiet back roads along the way. I wish I had stopped to take some pictures because the view out over the Tay valley was pretty spectacular with a snow capped Schiehallion dominating the skyline. However, I was too busy checking my route sheet to make sure I was following the right roads to get there and didnt want to miss any of the control questions on the way.

We had a stop at the cafe at Perth Airfield, met up with Mr R again as it was a lovely flying day, so nice that our hobbies could coincide again! Then off towards Scone, heading back through Coupar Angus and Meigle before arriving back at Forfar to complete the 100k.

Dont expect to have any trouble getting to sleep tonight, but I might just feel the effects of the loss of an hour of sleep more than usual after today!

steverob

Guru
Started this post on my phone while waiting to be rescued by the wife, but now I'm home I might as well finish it on the computer. Had planned a 55 mile ride today with the possibility of more depending on how I felt towards the end.

Was doing okay up until the halfway mark, when while climbing a short sharp hill, I somehow got a large twig caught up in my rear mech. Stopped the bike and fished it out sharpish but there didn't seem to be any obvious damage. However over the next two miles I started noticed grinding noises when changing between my big and small rings (which I was doing a lot as unfortunately the terrain was very hilly in this area) before then experiencing gear slippage on the rear cassette, which then got more and more frequent. Stopped and took another look and thought that the chain may have had a little kink in it, but wasn't 100% sure and still couldn't see any further damage.

As I was in the middle of nowhere at this point, while I was tempted to call it a day in case I did any more damage, thought that it was best that I at least tried to press on to the next town as that would make me easier to find if I had to give up - that was possibly a mistake. Within another half mile it all came tumbling down - the whole rear mech sheared off and crashed into my back wheel. Fortunately I was only doing about 8 mph uphill at the time so an immediate stop wasn't too problematic (just a minute earlier I was coming downhill at almost 25 mph, which would have been possibly lethal to me).

Called the wife to pick me up and walked the bike about 20 minutes to a nearby station - annoyingly it's a station I could have used my season ticket from to get home, except I don't bring my wallet with me on rides. Got a chance to look at the damage while I waited, but not being very mechanically minded, I'm not sure what it was I should be looking for. Did note that one of the teeth on one of the cogs in the rear mech was completely broken, but don't know if that happened when the twig hit me initially, or when this hit part my wheel later on. Sure the LBS will tell me when I take it in sometime next week.

The only thing even approaching "good" news is that this all happened just after I passed the 50km mark, so at least I can claim one point for this ride!

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Started this post on my phone while waiting to be rescued by the wife, but now I'm home I might as well finish it on the computer. Had planned a 55 mile ride today with the possibility of more depending on how I felt towards the end.

Was doing okay up until the halfway mark, when while climbing a short sharp hill, I somehow got a large twig caught up in my rear mech. Stopped the bike and fished it out sharpish but there didn't seem to be any obvious damage. However over the next two miles I started noticed grinding noises when changing between my big and small rings (which I was doing a lot as unfortunately the terrain was very hilly in this area) before then experiencing gear slippage on the rear cogs, which then got more and more frequent. Stopped and took another look and thought that the chain may have had a little kink in it, but wasn't 100% sure.

As I was in the middle of nowhere at this point, while I was tempted to call it a day in case I did any more damage, thought that it was best that I at least tried to press on to the next town as that would make me easier to find if I had to give up - that was possibly a mistake. Within another half mile it all came tumbling down - the whole rear mech sheared off and crashed into my back wheel. Fortunately I was only doing about 8 mph uphill at the time so an immediate stop wasn't too problematic (just a minute earlier I was coming downhill at almost 25 mph, which would have been possibly lethal to me).

Called the wife to pick me up and walked the bike about 20 minutes to a nearby station - annoyingly it's a station I could have used my season ticket from to get home, except I don't bring my wallet with me on rides. Got a chance to look at the damage while I waited, but not being very mechanically minded, I'm not sure what it was I should be looking for. Did note that one of the teeth on one of the cogs in the rear mech was completely broken, but don't know if that happened when the twig hit me initially, or when this hit part my wheel later on. Sure the LBS will tell me when I take it in sometime next week.

The only thing even approaching "good" news is that this all happened just after I passed the 50km mark, so at least I can claim one point for this ride!

That's a like for the post and getting the 50k in, not for your mechanical problems!

13 rider

Guru

Was doing okay up until the halfway mark, when while climbing a short sharp hill, I somehow got a large twig caught up in my rear mech. Stopped the bike and fished it out sharpish but there didn't seem to be any obvious damage. However over the next two miles I started noticed grinding noises when changing between my big and small rings (which I was doing a lot as unfortunately the terrain was very hilly in this area) before then experiencing gear slippage on the rear cogs, which then got more and more frequent. Stopped and took another look and thought that the chain may have had a little kink in it, but wasn't 100% sure.

As above a like for getting out not your mechanical Hope the bike quickly fixable and not to wallet depleting

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger

Scary stuff :ohmy:

Glad you came out of it unscathed :thumbsup:

Domus

Guru
Thanks for your kind and encouraging words.
Off to the caravan at Grange on Tuesday a couple of hilly rides on the cards.
Feeling more comfortable on the bike now, the speed on decents is creeping up resisting the brakes more, it's taken longer than I anticipated but hey ho.
Onwards and upwards. :bicycle:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
After yesterdays 40 mile blast with the lads, I thought something a little slower should be had today. Decided to get the steel bike out and give it a run. I only planned to get a hour in on her, but because it was so nice out I went for the 50km. First time this year i`v had me legs out :sun:

P1000776.JPG

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Living at the top of a very steep hill means every cycle ride, no matter which direction I head off in, has its ups and downs, or should that be downs and ups? :laugh:

Down today was a fast 2 mile sprint down to the main Montrose-Brechin Road and then off past Friockheim (honestly I live in Scotland not Germany!) then out towards Dundee before turning off towards Forfar via Murton Farm which serves as a Children's petting zoo, airport and cafe. Met Mr R there as he flew in for a quick coffee and scone. Wonder if this counts as a date? :smooch: After refueling, I was back on the road through Forfar and then back out the other side of Rescobie Loch heading back towards Brechin.

Up was the last 1.4 mile 300 foot climb back home.

Cant help but remember the days when I had to put the bike in the car and drive to the bottom of the hill before heading out for a ride, such was the hill terror that gripped me at the thought of cycling back home. Now its just part of the thrill and at times I even look forward to it! :bicycle:

Living at the bottom of a hill with no other way out but up would be soooo much worse :eek:.

View attachment 341015

You mean like I do in Dover. At sea level, every direction out of town is a good mile up hill to the cliff top. Then it really mugs you off as once you are at the top every direction is down .:wacko:

Katherine

Guru

Oh know! Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom