The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Made it with 8 hours to spare! We're currently moving house and I had a blow out a couple of days ago with no spare tubes left, so I was close to calling it quits for this month. Then I read the encouragement here this morning, bought some tubes and went out, so thanks for the push!

I don't know if 2 weeks off the saddle counts for much or if it was my wrist (or the wind) but I really struggled with today's ride. It was over 1000ft of climbs - I've never done that much in a single ride, so that may have contributed, but bloody hell it was tough. Muddy, sore and tired but hey ho! I'm back in the game.. Hopefully I'll be back up to full fitness by next month.

Well done - you got it done and that's what matters! :okay:

On a related note (sort of), I noticed today that I've been riding round for the last week with no spare tubes in my saddlebag...that could have been interesting! :ohmy:

13 rider

Guru
Full house again 38 riders still in after @RealDealWheel managed to get it done . Well done that man . I do like at bit of last day Jepody

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a good March for longer rides in the sister metric century challenge but recovery from those and a mid-month family visit have been nobbling my shorter rides.

I am doing my longest ride of the year tomorrow, an imperial century, but I must allow myself no more than 1 day off the bike to get over it because my other targets are suffering. I have a target of doing 610 offroad miles this year and I haven't done even 1 yet!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I set two new personal records yesterday, in terms of total distance with my first imperial century and total ascent (4449ft). And while I can look back on it with a sense of achievement today, there were a couple of points yesterday when I thought I might not be able to go on. The hill up from Birdsall for a start...:heat:
I won't do a full report here as it will only duplicate what I'm going to post on the 'Your ride today' thread (a day late, again...), but I'm so glad that I stuck at it and ground out those final miles. :okay:
And the four points bring a welcome boost to my points tally - I'm still well behind where I was this time last year, but at least I'm in double figure now.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
All the best @Bazzer hope everything goes ok . You got Marches done so 6 weeks before an April ride is due . Get healed first don't rush your recovery

Oh yea! :wahhey:
Bits of me still not working fully, but back on the bike after three weeks and just over 38 miles today.
MIght be a bit sore in places tomorrow, but for the time being :dance:.

Domus

Guru
Very pleased tonight, after a total washout up in the Lakes during the week I went and did the 50 miler from last week but added Hebden Bridge and Cragg Vale to the mix and completed my first 100k :hyper:. The going was slow but steady as I had company, a good friend who has done very little this year but has vast experience, the climb up Cragg Vale was perhaps too much for him but he dug in and we got there in the end :notworthy:. Much better coffee this week, JJs Diner in Cliviger and the bike café in Hebden Bridge, I can recommend both places.

Only two weeks now before I set off for Tuscany and lots of hills (and wine) The four days driving there will be off the bike, is that enough rest? If not when should I stop riding, or should I just keep ticking over?
All advice welcome.

Katherine

Guru
April 2nd Culcheth, Glazebrook, Lymm, Tatton Park, Rostherne, Little Bollington, Dunham Massey, Warburton, Glazebrook, Culcheth 61.5 kms 1 point

2nd April 56 miles. 2 points. Swinton, Walkden, Astley, Leigh, Culcheth, Glazebrook, Warburton, Lymm, High Legh, Little Bollington, Dunham Massey, Warburton, Irlam, Winton, Monton, Ellesmere Park, Oakwood, Agecroft, Prestwich, Whitefield, Kearsley, Farnworth, Walkden.

Another possible passing today? @Bazzer

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
We should arrange a coffee stop. At least we would then know who to look out for :laugh:

The only female rider I recall seeing and travelling in my direction, was one I caught up with at the Rostherne exit of Tatton Park. She turned right towards Ashley, whereas I went straight across to Rostherne. There was a group of three riders who had stopped, just after Rostherne at the start of that little hill that leads to Millington Lane. Two were definately male, one of whom I interrupted his call of nature.:whistle:.
Although if you saw a lone cyclist travelling in your direction on a white Cannondale, it could have been me, just not paying proper attention. :blush:

Katherine

Guru
We should arrange a coffee stop. At least we would then know who to look out for :laugh:

The only female rider I recall seeing and travelling in my direction, was one I caught up with at the Rostherne exit of Tatton Park. She turned right towards Ashley, whereas I went straight across to Rostherne. There was a group of three riders who had stopped, just after Rostherne at the start of that little hill that leads to Millington Lane. Two were definately male, one of whom I interrupted his call of nature.:whistle:.
Although if you saw a lone cyclist travelling in your direction on a white Cannondale, it could have been me, just not paying proper attention. :blush:
We were in a group of 4 and again I was the only one in the club jersey.

Made it with 8 hours to spare! We're currently moving house and I had a blow out a couple of days ago with no spare tubes left, so I was close to calling it quits for this month. Then I read the encouragement here this morning, bought some tubes and went out, so thanks for the push!

I don't know if 2 weeks off the saddle counts for much or if it was my wrist (or the wind) but I really struggled with today's ride. It was over 1000ft of climbs - I've never done that much in a single ride, so that may have contributed, but bloody hell it was tough. Muddy, sore and tired but hey ho! I'm back in the game.. Hopefully I'll be back up to full fitness by next month.

Bravo indeed, nicely done...we were worried for a bit there!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Very pleased tonight, after a total washout up in the Lakes during the week I went and did the 50 miler from last week but added Hebden Bridge and Cragg Vale to the mix and completed my first 100k :hyper:. The going was slow but steady as I had company, a good friend who has done very little this year but has vast experience, the climb up Cragg Vale was perhaps too much for him but he dug in and we got there in the end :notworthy:. Much better coffee this week, JJs Diner in Cliviger and the bike café in Hebden Bridge, I can recommend both places.
It sounds like you opted for the 'sensible' route to HB via Todmorden, rather than the 'scenic' route via The Long Causeway? :whistle:

I got my imperial century in on Saturday but I am sticking with not reporting the same ride in 2 places so I will not include it in this challenge, though the points will be added to the total here.

I am doing a ride with local rider Littgull on Wednesday to see if his bad back has eased enough for him to tackle a very tough audax ride with me next weekend. I will make sure that I do at least 50 km. I think the route will be about that long anyway, but if there is a shortfall then I will ride up the valley in the direction of the aforementioned JJs until I have half of that shortfall covered, then turn for home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom