The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kapelmuur

Veteran
A heads up for people who ride in the Tatton Park/Rostherne area of Cheshire, lots of road closures.

The recently re-opened Millington Lane which connects Rostherne to High Legh/Broomedge will be closed for 6 weeks from Monday 24th.

Marsh Lane from Rostherne to Ashley Road at the bottom of Tatton Wall was scheduled to close from 18/4. It was open this morning, but not for much longer judging from the quantity of construction material being delivered.

New Road/Cicely Mill Lane from Rostherne to Bucklow Hill is closed with no info about a re-opening date.

There are alternative routes on roads that are already busier than usual due to the ongoing A556 upgrade, so be careful out there!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A heads up for people who ride in the Tatton Park/Rostherne area of Cheshire, lots of road closures.

The recently re-opened Millington Lane which connects Rostherne to High Legh/Broomedge will be closed for 6 weeks from Monday 24th.

Marsh Lane from Rostherne to Ashley Road at the bottom of Tatton Wall was scheduled to close from 18/4. It was open this morning, but not for much longer judging from the quantity of construction material being delivered.

New Road/Cicely Mill Lane from Rostherne to Bucklow Hill is closed with no info about a re-opening date.

There are alternative routes on roads that are already busier than usual due to the ongoing A556 upgrade, so be careful out there!
Thanks for that - I have a 200 km forum ride planned for June 3rd and we would have been riding several of those roads ... :whistle:

I will have to consult my maps and make any changes necessary to avoid the roadworks. I'll wait until a couple of weeks before the ride to see what has been happening. @kapelmuur - I might tag you then to check with you what the score is, if that is ok?

Last edited:

kapelmuur

Veteran
Thanks for that - I have a 200 km forum ride planned for June 3rd and we would have been riding several of those roads ... :whistle:

I will have to consult my maps and make any changes necessary to avoid the roadworks. I'll wait until a couple of weeks before the ride to see what has been happening. @kapelmuur - I might tag you then to check with you what the score is, if that is ok?

Please do, the roads should be OK by early June but if you let me know your intended route I can ride around the area to check a couple of days before your ride.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Please do, the roads should be OK by early June but if you let me know your intended route I can ride around the area to check a couple of days before your ride.
Thanks a lot - I appreciate that!

I have never thought to check for roadworks on my forum ride routes. Perhaps I should start doing that in future ...

I use https://www.roadworks.org/ - really useful for finding out about roadworks in progress or what is planned (default is to show "today" but click on that to see into the future).
And that should come in very handy for doing it!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Any chance of an injury substitution rule? If someone gets injured, can they get a volunteer to do a month's ride for them? (Max 1 ride per year, no double counting allowed) :bicycle: Just a thought...
If you were going to do that then you might as well substitute yourself and do the extra ride the following month! :whistle:

steverob

Guru
Actually I wasn't thinking about myself but helping out a fellow rider...worth a try at least. ;)
That would be me. Came off my bike yesterday (over the top of the handlebars on a downhill) and fractured my collarbone. Also bruised ribs and lots of cuts and abrasions. And to cap it all, it seems as though the powerful painkillers I've been prescribed make me throw up, so it's all good news here!

I'm officially abandoning the Metric Century challenge obviously, but I haven't completely given up hope of doing a 50km ride before the end of May - I doubt I'll be able to, but there's still a slim chance and I'll cling to that..

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
That would be me. Came off my bike yesterday (over the top of the handlebars on a downhill) and fractured my collarbone. Also bruised ribs and lots of cuts and abrasions. And to cap it all, it seems as though the powerful painkillers I've been prescribed make me throw up, so it's all good news here!

I'm officially abandoning the Metric Century challenge obviously, but I haven't completely given up hope of doing a 50km ride before the end of May - I doubt I'll be able to, but there's still a slim chance and I'll cling to that..

So sorry to hear that @steverob. Sounds bad but could have been much worse I imagine.

Best of luck with your recovery :smile:

13 rider

Guru

Sorry to hear the news . Hopefully you will heal quickly . But don't risk riding injured just for the sake of the challenge and make things worse . Fingers crossed at least you got over 5 weeks to heal

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

OUCH!!!

Take your time and heal properly. Challenges can wait ....

How did you manage to do that 'endo'?

I was on a gnarly offroad descent with a mate once and he did something like that. I was amazed that he didn't hurt himself falling onto the big stone slabs we were riding over. What actually hurt was his bike flipping up into the air and coming back down onto his hand! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom