The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
OUCH!!!

Take your time and heal properly. Challenges can wait ....

How did you manage to do that 'endo'?

Coming down a hill I hadn't before, which I believed was a fairly even gradient, but turned out to be a shallow top half with a steep bottom. As I reached the steep bit, I hit a rough section of road, possibly some loose gravel and started braking slightly more than I already was to try and stay in control. Unfortunately it was at that point that I hit a pothole in the middle of my lane - the next thing I recall is the sky and the ground flashing before my eyes in quick succession, and then the thud of my shoulder hitting the tarmac. The helmet at the side of my head just above the ear took the rest of the impact.

What I can say is the admiration I have for everyone who came to me so quickly (considering I was on a country road between two villages), helped me and stayed with me while the ambulance arrived. There must have been at least ten people at various points checking on me, making phone calls to my wife, trying to keep me in good spirits, directing traffic around me (I landed in the opposite lane) and within 5 minutes there was a trained first aider there, plus about 20 minutes later, two A&E doctors just happened to be cycling past and they stopped and helped assess me making sure I was stable and comfortable.

Coming down a hill I hadn't before, which I believed was a fairly even gradient, but turned out to be a shallow top half with a steep bottom. As I reached the steep bit, I hit a rough section of road, possibly some loose gravel and started braking slightly more than I already was to try and stay in control. Unfortunately it was at that point that I hit a pothole in the middle of my lane - the next thing I recall is the sky and the ground flashing before my eyes in quick succession, and then the thud of my shoulder hitting the tarmac. The helmet at the side of my head just above the ear took the rest of the impact.

What I can say is the admiration I have for everyone who came to me so quickly (considering I was on a country road between two villages), helped me and stayed with me while the ambulance arrived. There must have been at least ten people at various points checking on me, making phone calls to my wife, trying to keep me in good spirits, directing traffic around me (I landed in the opposite lane) and within 5 minutes there was a trained first aider there, plus about 20 minutes later, two A&E doctors just happened to be cycling past and they stopped and helped assess me making sure I was stable and comfortable.

Well some good luck at least with the passing doctors. Your Garmin track should be interesting at least, I wonder if it'll spot the sudden gain in altitude as you took to the skies? :eek:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Nasty, but it does sound like it could have been even worse. A lucky escape, despite the injuries.

I came close to doing something similar on my first descent of Fleet Moss in the Yorkshire Dales! :eek:

Here ...

Fleet Moss cyclist trap.jpg

The Fleet Moss descent problem.gif

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
One weekend to go update . We have 32 riders still in . Leaving 6 riders yet to post a ride for April . If you done a ride and not posted please do so , if not it's time to :bicycle:
Bit slack this month. Managed the ride yesterday, and another today just for good measure. A year ago the thought of back to back 50km rides would have been laughed at...

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Only qualifying rides now posted. Been a crap month off the bike and that has had an effect on my riding time.
Saying hello again to the surgeon's scalpel later this morning, so I can see me having a very sore arse the next time I do a decent ride.:laugh:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I had good intentions for this weekend to get another qualifying ride in, by cycling out to somewhere 'twixt Tadcaster and Boston Spa to watch the Womens TdY race go past this morning and then adding a long loop back home on, but the cold / manflu that's been threatening for the last few days made a full blown arrival this morning so that got binned off. :cold: :sad:

The positive is that it's given me chance to watch most of both races today on the tellybox whilst demolishing a nearly a full pack of Jakemans lozenges.
It's weird watching cycling on the telly along the roads I normally ride on myself - especially when the commentator points out that they're ratting along at nearly 40mph when I'm normally quite pleased to be doing half that speed...:laugh:

Hopefully it's looking like a 24-hour thing, so I might get out tomorrow although 50km might be asking a bit much.

Hopey

https://www.strava.com/activities/962944784

Came home for a couple of days and decided to go for the Southern Borders Loop.
Pushed it today for 50 miles instead of km. First half imperial century. I can sum the borders up in one word: HILLS!!!!
At my current fitness levels I'm not sure if 50 mile rides are the best idea. I'm glad I pushed myself and the scenery was terrific, but there were times when I just wanted to go home...but then I realised my options were either cycle up a steep hill that way, or cycle up a steep hill the other way. Trapped in the middle of nowhere, with nowhere to go but uphill! Pressed onwards, though at points it was "this isn't that fun" exhausting.

Maybe if I didn't have symptoms of a cold it would have been easier, but there were times my chest and lungs just felt like they were about to explode. The granny gear felt useless at some points.

Took it easy, stopped and read every little landmark, took photos and stopped for lunch in a cafe.

Has been one of my goals to explore all of the little villages and countryside near where I grew up by bike, so I'm happy with that. Was happy to get home too, though. Onwards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom