The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
January - March 24 points

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...a-month-challenge.211906/page-17#post-4743968

12th April, 47 miles. Deal, Sandwich, Eythorne, Wingham, Wickambreaux, Preston, Sandwhich.
1 point.

13th April, 31.5 miles. up the hill, Deal, Eastry, Staple Ickham, Littlebourne and Bekesbourne. ! point.

27th April, 40 miles. Asford to Rye and a bit more 1 point

Total 27 points.
Is this a post showing April rides or have you missed Mays entry off it

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Is this a post showing April rides or have you missed Mays entry off it

Only just put the last April ride in.

So far I've not done a qualifier in May.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did a ride to Waddington with Littgull today. He will have done the full 100 km including the extra distance from Littleborough to meet me in Todmorden and back again afterwards. I decided to take it easy because I will be doing nickyboy's 100+ mile Llandudno ride on Saturday. I still did 85 km (53 miles) but didn't bother doing the extra to get a metric century in.

It was a very pleasant spring day. I think it was the warmest day so far this year, not far short of 20 degrees and feeling warmer than that where we were in the sun and out of the wind.

I am pretty much over my recent cold now and my legs have started working again. I lost a couple of hundred miles of cycling while I had the cold but I should be able to claw them back over the next few weeks to get back on track with my road mileage target.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another qualifying ride yesterday, updated to the report thread today.
Did sort of have half a plan to do an imperial half, but the wind yesterday was horrendous (well, at least pretty bad :whistle: ) so that idea was soon binned off in favour of a metric one.
At least I got some different tarmac under the wheels for part of the ride, which made a nice change.
Absolutely cream crackered afterwards though, don't know if it's just a general fitness thing (not enough training time) or what but I'm still feeling it today.

I shall try and self medicate with barley, hops, yeast and water. ;)

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Managed another qualifying ride today, but had to hastily change plans. Was going to get some lumps and bumps in my legs by going to Leigh, Bolton and Bury before dropping into Manchester and then home, but my legs have been knackered for some reason for the last couple of days.. Ended up a re route and sticking to flat roads. Still at least got the ride in. :thumbsup:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I went off exploring today. I did kind of route myself up a ride on Garmin but then Garmin Express refused to talk to my Garmin. I decided that I mostly knew the way and that I would wing it. I got to the Spa Trail with no problems, as I know the way there. When I ran out of old railway lane I turned left then right to Woodhall Spa (expensive but pretty looking place) and then got up on to the Water Rail Way the runs alongside the River Witham. I followed it to Bardney and then mostly followed my route but totally failed to turn right where I was supposed to, but it doesn't matter. I got to the top of Horncastle and decided to not go down towards town but to turn right and see if I could find the Spa Trail again and ride on that and make up the mileage, which I did. There are some nice sculptures on there to look at as I rode past.
Just over the 50km mark and I now have a nice cuppa.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Decent ride today and longest of the year so far. Planned route went out of the window, when going through Urmston from Carrington, with a view to getting to the A57 and then either going left towards home, or right towards Manchester for a more circuitous route home through Worsley, I got lost and ended up in Stretford. Luckily Google maps and the navigation voice at full volume on the 'phone in my pocket, got me back on the right route, although by this time I was running a bit later than I had planned. (Yes I know, stereotypical male, not seeking help until he was really lost).
Anyway the bonus was coming back through Irlam, crossing the Manchester Ship Canal at Irlam locks and then alongside the canal on the when the road wasn't too busy. Last time I did that was couple of years ago on a equally sunny day :thumbsup: and with some hard work was only 10 minutes or so later arriving home than I had planned.

13 rider

Guru
I went off exploring today. I did kind of route myself up a ride on Garmin but then Garmin Express refused to talk to my Garmin. I decided that I mostly knew the way and that I would wing it. I got to the Spa Trail with no problems, as I know the way there. When I ran out of old railway lane I turned left then right to Woodhall Spa (expensive but pretty looking place) and then got up on to the Water Rail Way the runs alongside the River Witham. I followed it to Bardney and then mostly followed my route but totally failed to turn right where I was supposed to, but it doesn't matter. I got to the top of Horncastle and decided to not go down towards town but to turn right and see if I could find the Spa Trail again and ride on that and make up the mileage, which I did. There are some nice sculptures on there to look at as I rode past.
Just over the 50km mark and I now have a nice cuppa.
I take ithough moved . Watch for the headwinds in the flatlands . We cycled the cycle track from Boston to Lincoln the other week nice traffic free route . There's a nice cafe at the railway hertiage centre in Hatchet right on the path worth a visit .The owner is quite entertaining

Saluki

I take ithough moved . Watch for the headwinds in the flatlands . We cycled the cycle track from Boston to Lincoln the other week nice traffic free route . There's a nice cafe at the railway hertiage centre in Hatchet right on the path worth a visit .The owner is quite entertaining
I shall give that a look :smile: I have my OS map on my phone and will look up that track. I am used to the winds, I'm a Norfolk girl so used to riding in the wind.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another half century ride today in near perfect cycling weather to the cycling capital of Yorkshire (and therefore the world ;)) Otley, although it did feel oddly hard work today.
So, when I got home I checked the tyre pressures and found both were under 70psi - I normally run the Gators at 110psi. Much to my shame I don't think I've checked the tyre pressures since March when the carbon bike reappeared after winter, so I've only got myself to blame. They're fully inflated now so I'll check them again later and make sure it's just a bit of time based leakage and nothing more sinister. :pump:
Just think how fast I could have gone...:laugh:

On a less happy note, today was easily the worst day I've ever had for bad drivers. Close passes, near pull outs and false indications (thank goodness for hydraulic discs). No harm done, thankfully, so fingers crossed it was just one of those days. :wacko:

Saluki

I am just in from a 50 mile ride in the sun. I had planned to ride but was not really looking forward to it. Then Hubster wanted to take his trike for a bimble so I took my roadie. After 2 3/4 miles I thought 'this is great' and he headed home and I went exploring.
I did have a course of about 44 miles in my garmin and, although it was on, I had forgotten about it. I got to Kirky something-or-other and remembered I had a course in and was pretty sure that this village was along the route, so I found it, poked the 'ride' button and hoped for the best. I had a rather lovely time actually.

I crossed the river a couple of times, passed lots of houses with a huge drainage ditch in front of them and those little bridges over it to their front drives. I stopped when I saw a couple in their front garden and asked if I might have a top up of my water bottle and stopped for a wee chat. I saw a vole, lots of rats, dozens of birds and followed a buzzard from fence post to fence post for 1/4 mile or so.

The ride was over 1/2 mile longer than strava says as I don't start my garmin until I get to the main road. I do have 1km privacy setting on my strava but I am a suspicious old sod really. I am now off for a bath as I ache and I suspect that my 3/4 length shorts might be past their best. Either that or my saddle as got harder over the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom