The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Came off the bike a couple of weeks ago, really hurt my wrist and knee. Still hurts to ride. I've got 12 days to get back on and get a 32 miler in or I'm out! I can do it...
I did that to myself twice last year (well, only one was a bike-related injury) - both times I had luckily done a half century at the beginning of the month so I had around 6 weeks to recover. Now I try and get in at least an easy one (i.e. no significant hills) at the beginning of each month!

The Vale of York is surprisingly flat - in a couple of weeks I'm doing the Vale Vélo that starts at the same place but heads in the opposite direction into the Wolds. That's got nearly 4,000ft of climbing! ^_^

We live on the edge of the Chiltern's ridge. Sunday's ride had about 5,700 feet of climbing, if I'd taken a similar parallel route just 1 mile further north it would have been under 1,000 feet of climbing (my wife thinks I'm mad).

I did that to myself twice last year (well, only one was a bike-related injury) - both times I had luckily done a half century at the beginning of the month so I had around 6 weeks to recover. Now I try and get in at least an easy one (i.e. no significant hills) at the beginning of each month!

I had an 'encounter' with a car this time last year that cracked a rib. The irony was I could ride within a week but couldn't cough, laugh etc (or sleep for that matter)... which was fine until I swallowed a fly on my first big ride after the accident!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Still a few days to go but only one weekend 4 rides yet to post a March ride awaiting @cosmicbike ,@steveindenmark and @CanucksTraveller and the injured @RealDealWheel good luck on getting your rides in .
Just a polite reminder please create a new post when you complete a new months ride to save me trawlling through all the pages looking for rides . Many thanks

Hoping to get it done this weekend, had a few days off the bike this week looking after sick lad, but Sat/Sun should be good to go

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Still a few days to go but only one weekend 4 rides yet to post a March ride awaiting @cosmicbike ,@steveindenmark and @CanucksTraveller and the injured @RealDealWheel good luck on getting your rides in .
Just a polite reminder please create a new post when you complete a new months ride to save me trawlling through all the pages looking for rides . Many thanks

I've got a place marker in for Sunday, although I'm also owed a days leave before the month is up so I could get out Monday or Tuesday as well. Plenty of scope yet.

GuyBoden

Guru
I like the route from Rostherne over the new bridge at Millington Lane.

Another dry, but breezy day, so I got on the bike for a 34 mile ride to Tatton park via Millington Lane and then onto Lewis Carroll's Birth site.

@kapelmuur, yes, thanks, I tried out Millington Lane, it's fantastic, the A556 is closed, so no traffic, yippee.....................^_^

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another metric half for the challenge today and a couple of firsts - my first ride to Otley this year and the first ride on the Pro Carbon this year as well. It really is a cracking bike and I'd almost forgotten how good it is to ride.
I felt the higher gearing on the climbs, but I really exploited the benefits on the descents - along with the stopping power of the disc brakes :okay:

Great weather too, which is apparently set for more of the same tomorrow - so it would be rude not to take advantage, wouldn't it? :laugh:

Domus

Guru
Feeling very pleased with myself, managed my first 50 miler today. Lovely day for it too. :sun:
Up to Edenfield and through Rawtenstall to Burnley then a really nice section to Todmorden for awful coffee and a decent Toasted Teacake. To Hollingworth Lake then Rochdale and home via Bury. It was coming up a bit short so I carried on into Bolton for a loop to get the milage up to 52.4.

Home in time to mow two lawns and make the tea. Must be careful or my halo might slip. :angel:

13 rider

Guru
Feeling very pleased with myself, managed my first 50 miler today. Lovely day for it too. :sun:
Up to Edenfield and through Rawtenstall to Burnley then a really nice section to Todmorden for awful coffee and a decent Toasted Teacake. To Hollingworth Lake then Rochdale and home via Bury. It was coming up a bit short so I carried on into Bolton for a loop to get the milage up to 52.4.

Home in time to mow two lawns and make the tea. Must be careful or my halo might slip. :angel:
Well done :bravo: this thread certainly gets poeple out putting the miles in which it was intended to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom