The 2017 Half Century (50 KM or 50 Mile) A Month Challenge - Chatzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have had a right day. Hubs fettled Eric for me as I was getting problems with my front derailleur so he had a tweak. It doesn't matter what I do, I cannot, for the life of me, get it so the chain doesn't rub. It hates me. Hubster sorted it in 2 minutes flat. He obviously has 'the touch'. I might stick a longer stem on him too. There is currently an 80mm stem on and it's a bit short so I'm going to try a 100mm stem as I'm starting to get some shoulder pain.
I didn't know where I wanted to ride so just set off in a vague sort of way, headed up the back road to Boston and then saw a road that I liked the look of so rode down it. Dead end so rode back and carried on. Saw another road with a signpost to Tumby Woodside, it made me smile to myself so I went there. I then took the road back to New Bolingbrook, because it's pretty and then back towards Horncastle, via another dead end. Or the road runs out and it becomes track. It looks like you can go through on the map but the 4 German Shepherds made me think otherwise. Back at the main road near ours I decided to ride up the road to Sandy Lane and then back on the trail. Back in town I discovered that I needed to find a mile for my 50km ride, so I did.
Nice evening out.
Roadie going in to Arrow Cycles first thing in the morning to index his gears properly. Evans said to photograph the receipt and they will refund me the money for the service. Nice outcome there.

Hope they do a good job for you!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
IMG_0620_zpsfspj215u.jpg
I'd have done the same. Was Tumby Woodside everything you'd hoped and dreamed it would be, or was it a bit shite? I find it's about 50/50.
I took a pic of Eric lurking in the long grass. He is not as stealthy as he thinks he is. It was a nice enough village but not as fun as the name suggested. Will try another Tumby another day.

IMG_0620_zpsfspj215u.jpg

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm just checking whether the rules allow tandem rides to be included in the challenge.

For sure they're allowed.

It was a nice enough village but not as fun as the name suggested. Will try another Tumby another day.
IMG_0620_zpsfspj215u.jpg

It's a wonderful world when there is more than just the one Tumby.

I ride through a village called Nasty, and of course it's delightful. The pub is called Ye Olde Fighting Cocks. I do love England.

13 rider

Guru
We're planning a tandem ride tomorrow at a local cycle marathon tomorrow, that should be over 50 km. I'm just checking whether the rules allow tandem rides to be included in the challenge. Obviously I will be working just as hard as Mr Effy. ^_^
If you travelled 50 km by bike it counts :okay: type of bike Dosn't matter

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A nice early qualifying ride for me this month, in rather nice weather which is always nice. ^_^

I've posted this in the 'Your ride today' thread, but what the heck here it is again:
Lots of positives to take from todays ride though - firstly even though I'm still not firing on all cylinders I more than held my own today so that's a great start, plus it was a fun ride with a good group of lads. The route is pretty good and while it's clearly all on urban roads, I'd forgotten just how green and pleasant parts of this great city can be - something to think about before taking the default option of heading out into the countryside in future, perhaps. And it's this months entry in the half century challenge sorted AND it takes me over 1,000 miles for the year, which given the dreadful cycling start to the year I've had is a real boost. Yep, today it's definitely all good in cycling terms ^_^

Now to relax with a beer or two and tea (or dinner if you're from darn sarf ;)) al fresco on the terrace...

Last edited:

Effyb4

Veteran
I managed to get my ride in for June today. I cycled with Mr Effy on our Tandem to Thurrock Cycle Marathon and did the 21 mile route, then cycled home again. A total of 50km. It was a really good test for us. We have only had the tandem a couple of weeks and we have been getting the set up right for us and getting used to riding it together. We managed a decent average of 16 mph and got up a small hill without too many problems. All in all a lovely ride in the sunshine. Our club mates want us to do a club run next. :eek:
thumbnail_IMG_0746.jpg

This is at the finish, before we cycled home.

Renmurew

Veteran
Another nice early 50K ride recorded for the month. Been trying to do a really early run each month so that anything else feels like a bonus and it seems to be working.

Yesterday's ride was a 42 mile sportive round the Ochil Hills, round Loch Leven and through the Blairadam Forrest.

I had noticed when preparing my bike the night before that I couldnt get my bike to shift down into the lowest gear. I had been noticing that down shifting seemed to have a bit of lag but despite reading up about gear cable adjustments, I hadnt built myself up to trying to fix the issue in case I just made it worse! So I stopped by the mechanical assistance van before the start of the run and was pleased to be able to fix it myself with a little incidence and assistance. Glad that I should be able to spot this happening again and add it to my growing list of "things that I can fettle on my own bike".

I definitely saw the best of the weather and had lovely sunshine all the way along with a slight breeze to take away the heat of the sun. However, not everyone was so lucky. I managed to complete the course just before the heavens opened but those on the longer routes would have got pretty wet long before the end.

Hopefully for once the event photographer got a good picture of me climbing the last hill, one that doesnt have me gritting my teeth in pain, or with my face screwed up or puffing and panting like an asthmatic octogenarian! Somehow I doubt it! I think I could have entered some of my recent event pictures in a girning competition and won! lol

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A painful first 25km on the way to a total 50.9km on Monday, but the magic tablets have proven to be my saviour again and allowed me to hit the target. That's half the year done on the 'half' challenge, still need to get the 100km in this month...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I managed to get my ride in for June today. I cycled with Mr Effy on our Tandem to Thurrock Cycle Marathon and did the 21 mile route, then cycled home again. A total of 50km. It was a really good test for us. We have only had the tandem a couple of weeks and we have been getting the set up right for us and getting used to riding it together. We managed a decent average of 16 mph and got up a small hill without too many problems. All in all a lovely ride in the sunshine. Our club mates want us to do a club run next. :eek:
View attachment 355500
This is at the finish, before we cycled home.
I think the tandem is a great idea. When you and Mr Eb4 did that Yorkshire Dales ride with us it was was obvious that he is a very strong rider and the tandem will allow you to do longer rides together, pinching some of his energy when you need to. :okay:

If I had still been with my ex I would probably have bought a tandem too. She loves the countryside but always struggled on hills so she was reluctant to ride to the sort of hilly places that we would have liked to ride to.

Effyb4

Veteran
I think the tandem is a great idea. When you and Mr Eb4 did that Yorkshire Dales ride with us it was was obvious that he is a very strong rider and the tandem will allow you to do longer rides together, pinching some of his energy when you need to. :okay:

If I had still been with my ex I would probably have bought a tandem too. She loves the countryside but always struggled on hills so she was reluctant to ride to the sort of hilly places that we would have liked to ride to.
Thanks @ColinJ the tandem has been great and we are already planning more rides on it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom